Time to start looking for next pup - Vdog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Time to start looking for next pup - Vdog

Postby isuhunter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 pm

My GSP is now 9 years old and we are thinking its time to start the search for another hunting partner and family companion.

We really love the drive of the GSP in the field but man oh man have I seen some beautiful bearded dogs. I know most of the people here probably are lab fans. We hunt upland pheasants and field hunt ducks and geese mainly in Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, and South Dakota. The pudelpointers have really intrigued me.

Suggestions on breeds and specific breeders to look at?
isuhunter
hunter

Re: Time to start looking for next pup - Vdog

Postby crackerd » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:35 am

If you are the same person who posted about pudelpointers on the Refuge Gun Dog forum under a different handle - and if "isuhunter" means you're an Iowa State Cyclone a/k/a "Clowns" (affectionate sense of the word), then I will tell you here as on the 'Fuge board, the spinone Italiano is also the clown (affectionate sense of the word) of the versatile dog ranks and if so trained one of, if not the top water dog amongst them. Wanted to get that plug in therewhile also concurring with the idea of pudelpointer working out well for you - have had a couple of friends who got PPs after having had Labs, and were smitten from day one with their working abilities. But the spin...well, 'fraid my bias is showing, but if spins had been eligible for AKC hunt tests and other retriever events back in the day, I probably never would have gone over to the dark side with Labs.

panettone-hunter.jpg
panettone-hunter.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:56 am

Probably not the direction you are looking but I have a nice litter of Golden Retrievers on the ground right now. These pups will be great hunters when it comes to ducks and geese. Based on how birdy both parents are they could probably do some pheasant hunting as well. I would be lying if I said the bearded dogs haven't been tempting to get though. Have really been interested in Drahthaars lately.
RShockley
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:59 am

crackerd wrote:If you are the same person who posted about pudelpointers on the Refuge Gun Dog forum under a different handle - and if "isuhunter" means you're an Iowa State Cyclone a/k/a "Clowns" (affectionate sense of the word), then I will tell you here as on the 'Fuge board, the spinone Italiano is also the clown (affectionate sense of the word) of the versatile dog ranks and if so trained one of, if not the top water dog amongst them. Wanted to get that plug in therewhile also concurring with the idea of pudelpointer working out well for you - have had a couple of friends who got PPs after having had Labs, and were smitten from day one with their working abilities. But the spin...well, 'fraid my bias is showing, but if spins had been eligible for AKC hunt tests and other retriever events back in the day, I probably never would have gone over to the dark side with Labs.

panettone-hunter.jpg

MG

You just like them because they're named after an ice cream. :rolleyes:

And the last Pudelpointer we hunted with still had not gone on point when the Lab and I headed back to the truck with our wild bird limit.

:hammer: :hammer: :grooving:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby crackerd » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am

HNTFSH wrote:You just like them because they're named after an ice cream. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm an old soft-serve, er, softy when it comes to dogs that look like billy goats and sound like an ice cream flavor. :wink: But the truth of the matter on that latter score is I have a buddy in New England who makes the best ice cream on the planet and who is of Italian descent and whose ice cream empire is named for a famous Italian, but who, of the hundreds (and hundreds) of varieties he's concocted over the years never listed spumone once amongst them.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am

Previously hunted with GSPs and Labs. Due to my wife’s pet dander allergy, I researched “low shedding” breeds and spoke to several DD, GWP, and one PP breeder. Found a local GWP breeder that I was impressed with a place a deposit to an early pick of the litter. Best decision of recent memory! My dog was relatively easy to train and has a low maintenance coat. He is patient in the duck blind and works diligently in the uplands. Solid natural retrieve and his point is staunching up every season.
Attachments
F5B535D2-E959-401B-B184-328424EB920F.jpeg
F5B535D2-E959-401B-B184-328424EB920F.jpeg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:42 pm

In the past sometimes it has taken me years to get a pup.

Living in Alaska, I want a spring pup, lab female.
Put deposit down, number 2 on the list for a female...6 pups, 5 males, 1 female.
Get the deposit back, wait until next spring, put a deposit down with a breeder that
is having 2 litters...number 1 on the list for a female. Both litters are all males.
Finally got a local pup on the third spring....
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum