Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi, my 9 year old lab was diagnosis with enlarged prostate and a 1.5-2.5 cm mass on his bladder dr thinks it may be Cancer he is very strong and energetic just looking for some insight on possible out come hoping for the best preparing for the worst thanks
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Well, that sucks.
Given your best friend is nine years old, the question is how fast will the cancer progress (assuming it is cancer).
It is possible, it will progress slowly and not affect the dog much at all; and though we don't want to think about it, you may have to make that tough decision four years from now for completely different reasons.
Did the vet find this during a regular exam or did you notice something in your dog that led you to the vet?
Hopefully, it is like all old men who if they live long enough, will get prostate cancer, but not pass from it.
Sorry to hear this news.
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:30 pm
Thanks for your reply he was spotting blood around the house, brought him to bet and they gave him a ultra sound where they found a mass on his bladder 1.25-2.5 cm and his prostate is enlarge but not overly
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:51 pm
So sorry about that. Not sure what your options are. Hope your vet can provide some guidance.
We had a wonderful GSP that at age 12 looked like she was half that age. For her entire life, I either took her on runs or for one-hour off-leash jaunts through a nature park and along a river, 4-5 times a week. She was lean and muscular and really an impressive specimen.
She started showing some incontinence. Would literally urinate while lying on the couch or her dog bed. During a trip to our vet to see what was up, he did a blood test and her white blood count was up. Thought it was most likely a tooth infection, which could also cause the incontinence, so we scheduled a cleaning and dental exam as they gave her the once over which include a full body xray.
Sadly, they discovered a large (mini-football sized) tumor on her liver which was crowding out her bladder. Fast forward after visits to a surgeon specialist, we had to make the decision. Do the risky and very expensive surgery or make her comfortable.
At my three kids insistence (and it did not take much), I decided to try to surgery. It worked beautifully in that the surgeon said she snipped it from the liver with little tissue damage, and the football came right out, but the pathology indicated it was not the type of cancer they expected. It would either remain somewhat in a dormant state or come roaring back.
For 45-60 days, we had this wonderful dog back, but then one day we noticed a change in her demeanor. After another xray, it revealed the worst news, and her days were limited. GSPs are made to be on the move, so when it was obvious she was not well, it was time.
Man, all you can do is make what you think is the best decision for your dear dog, pray for the best and avoid all the What ifs. I wish you peace and strength during this tough time.
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:32 pm
Thank u Rat, we have a appointment with a surgeon/specialist Friday hopefully we will know more, very hard pill to swallow being he is only 9 and very strong and active, time will tell
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm
No cancer just a big cyst on his prostate neuter next week should shrink hunt test season here we come !!! Thanks all
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 pm
Yes, very thankful 3 vets told me it could be much worse thank u
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.