e collar

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

e collar

Postby delta ducker » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Im about to get an e collar for the dog and am looking for suggestions on brands and models. Just ducking hunting, so I don't need any crazy high end model. I was looking at getting Garmin Sport Pro. TIA.
delta ducker
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: e collar

Postby RShockley » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:50 pm

I’m a Dogtra fan myself as they are what I have the most experience with. The Dogtra ARC or 1900s could both be well suited for your needs. The ARC even has an option for a small button that can be used separately from the main transmitter to keep hands free. Honestly as long as you stick within the main name brands you will get a solid product and good customer service if needed. I’ve had good experiences with Dogtra, Garmin, and Sportdog. Checkout those brands and fine the collar with the features you like and go with it. As an added note I will also say more range is never a bad thing.
User avatar
RShockley
hunter
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: e collar

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:52 am

The Garmin Sport Pro (and Dogtra Arc and 1900S as RShockley mentioned) are all solid collars having a 3/4 mile range. They are have their own "perks" ..... the Garmin Sport Pro has a built in bark collar and airing light (handy when heading to the blind in the early morning in the dark), the Dogtra Arc (which is a light to medium stimulation collar) and the 1900s both come with a hands-free model - a button receiver which can be worn on a wrist or as they advertise strapped to the fore stock / barrel of your shotgun.

IMO if there is one negative to the Dogtra Arc or 1900S systems, you have to decide when you buy the collar if you want a 1 dog or 2 dog system, whereas the Garmin Sport Pro is an expandable system ... comes with one receiver, but you can add up to two more collars (as you add dogs to the house). :wink:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Canada

Re: e collar

Postby Boatman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Dogtra I'm on my second dog with it that puts it just under 12 years old still haven't had to replace the batteries NPC 2300 I think

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese
User avatar
Boatman
hunter
 
Posts: 5613
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Atlantic

Re: e collar

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am

Boatman wrote:Dogtra I'm on my second dog with it that puts it just under 12 years old still haven't had to replace the batteries NPC 2300 I think

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk


That would be my choice too despite being a Tritronics guy quite awhile. Since Garmin took over...meh...not the same.

That said, while I did collar train a lot I did not use one hunting but a few times and that was on wild Pheasant hunting roadside ditches. Never needed to use it but that's why the training matters.
Deplorable Since 1776
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 41358
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: e collar

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am

I too have only use a collar sparingly in field use as a deterrent to unwanted game(deer) pursuit.As far as duck blind use I can think of a couple of folks that I've shared a blind with over the years that could have used one strapped to their leg. Never wished I had one on a dog. Just as a dog being tested isn't allowed to wear one,a pooch in the blind doesn't (or shouldn't)need one either.PLEASE,don't use hunting season as training time.The dog will most likely suffer irreparable harm.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter
 
Posts: 3972
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: e collar

Postby Irishwhistler » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Dogtra Edge RT is my preference. Good solid collar / transmitter, reliable and intuitive performance. Excellent customer service.

Cheers,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
User avatar
Irishwhistler
hunter
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 pm
Location: Lab Land

Re: e collar

Postby BusterAZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:12 pm

delta ducker wrote:Im about to get an e collar for the dog and am looking for suggestions on brands and models. Just ducking hunting, so I don't need any crazy high end model. I was looking at getting Garmin Sport Pro. TIA.


I’m on my second dog using the same Garmin sport pro! It’s durable and has great battery life. The vibe function and beeper work well on this unit, so hardly use the shock function unless the dog is being defiant. Depends on the dog, but I never dial it past half power (5/10).
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
User avatar
BusterAZ
hunter
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Re: e collar

Postby Soggy Socks » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:18 am

No Experience with the others listed. I use my Sport Pro by Garmin everyday on our walks. He swims dock dives etc, like the tone and vibrate function. The light function on it is bright and visible for a long ways when I let him out pre dawn I turn it on and can see where the dog is. My collar did malfunction a month ago I called Garmin even though it was out of warranty they sent me a new one no charge. I did opt to have them send it out prior to sending my old one back. they reimbursed my card as promised. Good to deal with guy I spoke to was a bird hunter.
Soggy Socks
hunter
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: e collar

Postby bgkirk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 am

Dogtra Edge R/T.
Simplicity is what I was looking for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bgkirk
hunter
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 am

Re: e collar

Postby hailyeah56 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am

I have a brand new Dogtra Combo I'll sell. Unused. It was a gift, but I no longer use a collar to train with.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
hailyeah56
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:17 am

Re: e collar

Postby gonehuntin1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Pro 500+. It's all you'll ever need and can even find a wandering dog with it.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin1
hunter
 
Posts: 2881
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: e collar

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm

gonehuntin1 wrote:Pro 500+. It's all you'll ever need and can even find a wandering dog with it.


I believe you mean the PRO550 or PRO550+. The OP will be looking for a looooong time for a PRO500! :biggrin:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Canada

Re: e collar

Postby RShockley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 pm

ohio mike wrote:I too have only use a collar sparingly in field use as a deterrent to unwanted game(deer) pursuit.As far as duck blind use I can think of a couple of folks that I've shared a blind with over the years that could have used one strapped to their leg. Never wished I had one on a dog. Just as a dog being tested isn't allowed to wear one,a pooch in the blind doesn't (or shouldn't)need one either.PLEASE,don't use hunting season as training time.The dog will most likely suffer irreparable harm.


Using an e-collar during hunting season has nothing to do with training during hunting season. It has everything to do with holding our dogs to the same standard during the season as we do during the offseason. The only person doing irreparable harm to a dog with an e-collar is the person who won't take the time to learn how and when to use one properly. We really shouldn't base opinions on those people because they just ruin everything.
User avatar
RShockley
hunter
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: e collar

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:22 am

RShockley wrote:
ohio mike wrote:I too have only use a collar sparingly in field use as a deterrent to unwanted game(deer) pursuit.As far as duck blind use I can think of a couple of folks that I've shared a blind with over the years that could have used one strapped to their leg. Never wished I had one on a dog. Just as a dog being tested isn't allowed to wear one,a pooch in the blind doesn't (or shouldn't)need one either.PLEASE,don't use hunting season as training time.The dog will most likely suffer irreparable harm.


Using an e-collar during hunting season has nothing to do with training during hunting season. It has everything to do with holding our dogs to the same standard during the season as we do during the offseason. The only person doing irreparable harm to a dog with an e-collar is the person who won't take the time to learn how and when to use one properly. We really shouldn't base opinions on those people because they just ruin everything.


I think what Mike and I both meant was not using hunting season as the initial training ground for ecollar use. And his point is well taken about dogs not wearing collars in test & trials is a parallel example.

Train with a collar when you can control the situation so that the dog is properly response conditioned for when you can't control the situation (like hunting). Handling with a collar requires timing and anticipation. Hunting doesn't provide that very well.

Anyone that's been around awhile is likely to be a little suspicious if a poster says they want to get a collar "for hunting" or "hunting season".

That said, I don't hunt a dog the same way I test a dog either. Some things are a given and some things the dog needs to perform differently. In any event, if you use a collar or not in training a dog, the training before putting them afield is what matters. If collar training it's a crutch to wear one hunting because mistakes or refusals should be addressed outside of hunting.

That's why I mentioned the only time I've used one hunting is roadside ditch chicken hunting where a slipped whistle sit can be life or death. The good news is whistle sit is pretty solid, trained on working a bird before hitting a field during the season.

Personally I can't stand watching someone handle a dog on a retrieve like they're running a master test, especially a blind.
Deplorable Since 1776
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 41358
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests