e collar

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

e collar

Postby delta ducker » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Im about to get an e collar for the dog and am looking for suggestions on brands and models. Just ducking hunting, so I don't need any crazy high end model. I was looking at getting Garmin Sport Pro. TIA.
delta ducker
hunter

Re: e collar

Postby RShockley » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:50 pm

I’m a Dogtra fan myself as they are what I have the most experience with. The Dogtra ARC or 1900s could both be well suited for your needs. The ARC even has an option for a small button that can be used separately from the main transmitter to keep hands free. Honestly as long as you stick within the main name brands you will get a solid product and good customer service if needed. I’ve had good experiences with Dogtra, Garmin, and Sportdog. Checkout those brands and fine the collar with the features you like and go with it. As an added note I will also say more range is never a bad thing.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:52 am

The Garmin Sport Pro (and Dogtra Arc and 1900S as RShockley mentioned) are all solid collars having a 3/4 mile range. They are have their own "perks" ..... the Garmin Sport Pro has a built in bark collar and airing light (handy when heading to the blind in the early morning in the dark), the Dogtra Arc (which is a light to medium stimulation collar) and the 1900s both come with a hands-free model - a button receiver which can be worn on a wrist or as they advertise strapped to the fore stock / barrel of your shotgun.

IMO if there is one negative to the Dogtra Arc or 1900S systems, you have to decide when you buy the collar if you want a 1 dog or 2 dog system, whereas the Garmin Sport Pro is an expandable system ... comes with one receiver, but you can add up to two more collars (as you add dogs to the house). :wink:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Dogtra I'm on my second dog with it that puts it just under 12 years old still haven't had to replace the batteries NPC 2300 I think

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese
Boatman
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am

Boatman wrote:Dogtra I'm on my second dog with it that puts it just under 12 years old still haven't had to replace the batteries NPC 2300 I think

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

That would be my choice too despite being a Tritronics guy quite awhile. Since Garmin took over...meh...not the same.

That said, while I did collar train a lot I did not use one hunting but a few times and that was on wild Pheasant hunting roadside ditches. Never needed to use it but that's why the training matters.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am

I too have only use a collar sparingly in field use as a deterrent to unwanted game(deer) pursuit.As far as duck blind use I can think of a couple of folks that I've shared a blind with over the years that could have used one strapped to their leg. Never wished I had one on a dog. Just as a dog being tested isn't allowed to wear one,a pooch in the blind doesn't (or shouldn't)need one either.PLEASE,don't use hunting season as training time.The dog will most likely suffer irreparable harm.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Dogtra Edge RT is my preference. Good solid collar / transmitter, reliable and intuitive performance. Excellent customer service.

Cheers,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:12 pm

delta ducker wrote:Im about to get an e collar for the dog and am looking for suggestions on brands and models. Just ducking hunting, so I don't need any crazy high end model. I was looking at getting Garmin Sport Pro. TIA.

I’m on my second dog using the same Garmin sport pro! It’s durable and has great battery life. The vibe function and beeper work well on this unit, so hardly use the shock function unless the dog is being defiant. Depends on the dog, but I never dial it past half power (5/10).
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:18 am

No Experience with the others listed. I use my Sport Pro by Garmin everyday on our walks. He swims dock dives etc, like the tone and vibrate function. The light function on it is bright and visible for a long ways when I let him out pre dawn I turn it on and can see where the dog is. My collar did malfunction a month ago I called Garmin even though it was out of warranty they sent me a new one no charge. I did opt to have them send it out prior to sending my old one back. they reimbursed my card as promised. Good to deal with guy I spoke to was a bird hunter.
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby bgkirk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 am

Dogtra Edge R/T.
Simplicity is what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bgkirk
hunter

Postby hailyeah56 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am

I have a brand new Dogtra Combo I'll sell. Unused. It was a gift, but I no longer use a collar to train with.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
hailyeah56
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum