puppy / breeder question

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Re: puppy / breeder question

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:Puppies were born late last night. :banana:

What do you folks think is the ideal pick-up time -- 7 weeks? 8 weeks? What say ye?

10 weeks. I’d rather not run the risk of taking the pup too early from the litter. If the breeder is willing to go the extra 2 weeks, I prefer it though it wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:51 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:

What do you folks think is the ideal pick-up time -- 7 weeks? 8 weeks? What say ye?

10 weeks. I’d rather not run the risk of taking the pup too early from the litter. If the breeder is willing to go the extra 2 weeks, I prefer it though it wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

I'm with Bluesky. Mainly because at 10 weeks, the pup has a head start on potty. Even better if the breeder can provide some positive exposure things. I tipped the hobby breeder for the extra 2 weeks (made it a pick-up issue not a request). As far a 7 or 8? I'd opt for 8. In some states it's law.

But all this comes down to the environment they'll be in at those ages. I'd assume with this litter it's good, trust but verify.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am

OH!!!! And CONGRATS!!!! Pick the chubbiest female.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:10 am

HNTFSH wrote:Pick the chubbiest female.

Is this general life advice, or just picking a puppy

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:58 am

Put me in the seven or eight weeks camp. Never had an issue with either and feel it advantageous, if anything, for the way I bring mine on. That, and I enjoy that time in their lives.
IMG_0166a.jpg

Puppyhood passes way too quickly:
IMG_0208a.jpg
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:51 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Pick the chubbiest female.

Is this general life advice, or just picking a puppy

I prefer that my women and my retrievers are thick.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for the feedback, Fellas. I'll chat with the breeder tonight, but I believe he said he cuts em loose at 8 weeks.
I think the lighter colored gal to the right looks like a future 90 pounder!
IMG_5363.jpg
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Ours go out no earlier than 8 weeks .... we have held pups longer than that depending upon the buyers schedule (the 8 week go home date was during previously booked vacation, etc) By 8 weeks most puppy buyers are "chomping at the bit" to take their puppy home!
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:15 pm

I can't catch a break.

I just spoke to the breeder this evening to get the 2-week update on the litter and specifically the pup I'd put my name on. Early this morning, they found 6 of the 7 puppies dead. Two of the puppies were underneath the momma dog when they went to check on them this morning. They can only assume that all were somehow laid on and smothered by the dam.

Interestingly enough, the only pup to survive is the one that I'd picked based on her coloring and gender.

He has a litter of German shorthaired pointers that are a week older than this litter of labs. Due to concern about the same outcome for the last remaining puppy, he removed it from the lab dam and put it with the GSPs. He indicated that the GSP bitch took it right in and has been feeding it just like the GSP litter.

The breeder is being a very stand-up guy and forthright about this whole situation and will without any hesitation refund my deposit.

I do have a few concerns -- how traumatic is it for a 2 week pup to be removed from momma dog, is being placed with a strange litter and dam a detrimental scenario for a young pup, is it possible that this is an illness-related event? There are a lot of red flags for me in this situation. The breeder doesn't believe it is illness related as he'd stated all 6 pups were chubby, active and all eating well.

I'd appreciate your advice. Is this a scenario it's just best to steer clear of and walk away or is this not that big an issue and you don't see any concerns moving forward with this puppy as planned?

I'd appreciate any direction or feedback you may have.

Thanks, Fellas. :beer:
Last edited by Locked&Loaded on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:45 am

Is this the dam's first litter and unaccustomed to puppies in a whelping box? Did the breeder have "pig rails" in the whelping box to help protect the pups from the dam laying on them? Could just be a horrible case of bad luck for the breeder with this litter.

If the puppy is feeding well with the surrogate mom and has "siblings" to grow with, the puppy should be fine with the "new family". If this is a breeding that I was wanting / wiring for and the pup continues to develop normally I would likely take the pup with the ability of taking the pup to my vet for a checkup once it comes home with me. Hopefully the breeder has a buyer vet check within 7-14 (?) days of heading to their new homes written into their puppy contract / health guarantee.
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:01 am

Geez...what a cluster. :eek: Shame to hear all those promising pups didn't make it, breeding is not for the faint of heart. Good question on the whelping box.

I think Dakota's take/advice is a great one. :thumbsup:

Hell, in some weird Karma kind of way, might make this little gal extra special. Might also turn out a pointing lab.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 am

Horrible situation all around. I appreciate y'alls perspectives.

I’m not sure if this dam has had previous litters and I don’t know about the whelping box, but I’ll ask.

It’s been 7+ years since I’ve had any contact with the local retriever club that I spent a fair amount of time with when my current dog was younger. I still have a couple of the guys’ numbers in my phone -- one fella, an older gentleman who’d been around the hunt test game for several years and was very friendly and more than willing to dispense knowledge and help out the new guys. I just called him and mentioned the breeders name and the situation. He knows the breeder quite well and indicated that he is a stand up guy who turns out some very nice dogs and definitely knows what he is doing as a breeder and does things the right way. This guy actually knows of the dam when we talked about her pedigree. He said sometimes an older dog can get “lazy” in the whelping box and inadvertently lay on and smother puppies. He indicated that unfortunately this kind of thing happens from time to time even when you do everything right. He thought it sounded like this particular situation could be chalked up to nothing more than really bad luck.
Last edited by Locked&Loaded on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 am

"Lone Survivor"
IMG_3978.jpg
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:50 am

That really sucks, Doc. Hope whichever direction you go in it all works out for you.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 am

Now the little gal will have to survive him! Tough cookie.

Sure is cute (and chubby). :lol3: :beer:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am

sprigs4days wrote:That really sucks, Doc. Hope whichever direction you go in it all works out for you.

Thanks, Sprigs. Just gonna wait a month and see how that pup is doing and then make a decision.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:24 am

HNTFSH wrote:Hell, in some weird Karma kind of way, might make this little gal extra special. Might also turn out a pointing lab.

Both would be nice! :beer:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:01 am

Right on, Doc. I remember how excited I got when I got that text of pups hitting the ground and the pics of the of the breeders wife with pups was definitely a plus.

Got mine at 7 weeks, bout all I could stand to wait.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:30 pm

sprigs4days wrote:

Right on, Doc. I remember how excited I got when I got that text of pups hitting the ground and the pics of the of the breeders wife with pups was definitely a plus.

Just hoping like hell everything works out with this pup. I'm certain the waterfowl gods do not want me to get a new mutt!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:12 am

A little update: Pups are nearly 5 weeks old.

Breeder called me this morning and said "lone survivor" is turning out really well. She integrated great with the GSP litter and has been coming along nicely. Things may work out with this big damn mess after all.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:A little update: Pups are nearly 5 weeks old.

Breeder called me this morning and said "lone survivor" is turning out really well. She integrated great with the GSP litter and has been coming along nicely. Things may work out with this big damn mess after all.

That's great to hear. :thumbsup: No doubt she'll be gnawing on your favorite leather chair in no time!

Be fun to see some picks soon!
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 pm

sprigs4days wrote:

I missed this post by Sprigs. If I'm understanding him correctly, I believe he picked the litter based on the hotness of the breeder's wife. Good a reason as any!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:14 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:

I missed this post by Sprigs. If I'm understanding him correctly, I believe he picked the litter based on the hotness of the breeder's wife. Good a reason as any!

He is a total whore.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:16 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:A little update: Pups are nearly 5 weeks old.

That's great to hear. :thumbsup: No doubt she'll be gnawing on your favorite leather chair in no time!

Be fun to see some picks soon!

He's gonna send me some pictures / videos tomorrow.

With all the recent back luck I've had getting a new mutt and since getting the bad news about the loss of the majority of that litter, every time my phone rings and I see that its the breeder, I'm expecting something to the effect of "a hawk just carried off lone survivor."
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:

He is a total whore.

I imagine he inquired about an option for "working off" some of the cost of a new puppy.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum