Dog Blinking

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Dog Blinking

Postby quigby979 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 am

My dog went to a Junior hunt test this past weekend. On 2 land retrieves she "blinked". The first time I yelled fetch it up and she grabbed it and brought it in. The second time she stood over it and walked away without the bird. I had to handle her back which she did and she picked it up. Both birds were dead birds being launched with a winger. My dog was force fetched by a professional trainer and has never done this before. What causes them to start doing this?
quigby979
hunter

Re: Dog Blinking

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:23 am

quigby979 wrote:My dog went to a Junior hunt test this past weekend. On 2 land retrieves she "blinked". The first time I yelled fetch it up and she grabbed it and brought it in. The second time she stood over it and walked away without the bird. I had to handle her back which she did and she picked it up. Both birds were dead birds being launched with a winger. My dog was force fetched by a professional trainer and has never done this before. What causes them to start doing this?

First thing that comes to mind is a really slimy, stinking duck. Has she trained with those?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby gonehuntin1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:21 am

How long has she been back from the trainer?
Is this your first test with her?
I've also seen at this time of year, yellowjackets cover a stinking duck so the dog's got stung if picking it up.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin1
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am

quigby979 wrote:My dog went to a Junior hunt test this past weekend. On 2 land retrieves she "blinked". The first time I yelled fetch it up and she grabbed it and brought it in. The second time she stood over it and walked away without the bird. I had to handle her back which she did and she picked it up. Both birds were dead birds being launched with a winger. My dog was force fetched by a professional trainer and has never done this before. What causes them to start doing this?

Denverton?
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:14 pm

The CWA property between Rio Vista and Suisun on Hwy 12.
quigby979
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Yeah, I was there, we ran 33. By the time I got to the line that bird was a ripe ball of slime with a few feathers. What # she run?
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:53 am

Saturday we ran #8 and Sunday #13. She passed Saturday but not on Sunday. She didn't mark the first series land bird. She hunted past the bird and after 3 passes she did come up on the bird but she blinked on it. I let her come back about half way. Stopped her and gave her a back which she spun around straight back to the bird and retrieved it. I got a call back surprisingly. She did excellent on both birds. But we didn't pass.
quigby979
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:10 am

Lexie will get it done next time, bud.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:05 am

quigby979 wrote:I got a call back surprisingly. She did excellent on both birds. But we didn't pass.

Did the judge explain the fail?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby quigby979 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:40 pm

She told me that because she received a score of zero in the morning that she could not get a passing score. The 1 judge gave her a zero in trainability due to the blinking on the one bird. I shouldn't of received a call back.
quigby979
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:45 pm

quigby979 wrote:She told me that because she received a score of zero in the morning that she could not get a passing score. The 1 judge gave her a zero in trainability due to the blinking on the one bird. I shouldn't of received a call back.

Ah, yeah...I could not figure out the fail with the callback. From what you said I'd have passed your dog. The blink happens with young dogs in junior tests but if they will take a handle back to the bird and pick it up, that doesn't deserve a 0 IMO.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby quigby979 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:42 pm

I was told the same thing in regards to having to handle her which she did without hesitation. But This judge didn't see it that way. We will get it but it will be after hunting season. She does excellent in the field which is what really matters to me.
quigby979
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:58 am

quigby979 wrote:...We will get it but it will be after hunting season. She does excellent in the field which is what really matters to me.

After the hunting season is when you're most likely to encounter blinking on test birds, unless you've been training with something similar. And especially so if, like me, you'll fuss a dog for fooling with old kills encountered while hunting.

Once had to tell a youngster to fetch a HRC Seasoned test bird he front-footed and stood over, then watched in horror as he tossed it in the air two or three times while running in before delivering to hand. (But we got a break and pass from judges who may well have known he just finished a 1,000+ bird puppy season with our commercial camp.)

Our Rx was to wait around after the test until folks wanting them for training had divvied up the decent birds and take home a few of the worst that were headed to a dumpster to toss before subsequent tests.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
quigby979 wrote:...We will get it but it will be after hunting season. She does excellent in the field which is what really matters to me.

After the hunting season is when you're most likely to encounter blinking on test birds, unless you've been training with something similar. And especially so if, like me, you'll fuss a dog for fooling with old kills encountered while hunting.

Once had to tell a youngster to fetch a HRC Seasoned test bird he front-footed and stood over, then watched in horror as he tossed it in the air two or three times while running in before delivering to hand. (But we got a break and pass from judges who may well have known he just finished a 1,000+ bird puppy season with our commercial camp.)

Our Rx was to wait around after the test until folks wanting them for training had divvied up the decent birds and take home a few of the worst that were headed to a dumpster to toss before subsequent tests.

Gotta 5-6 yr old shoveler that gets pulled out of the freezer for some of Macs training. Thing is damn nasty.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:58 pm

I have some birds in the freezer too. Will have to bring them out to train. Lexie was FF and if you say fetch she attacks the bumper or bird. But I have noticed she has a soft hold. She is mouthing the bumper which causes her to drop the bird. So I have learned their is a difference in FF and conditioning her hold command. So I am working on that.
quigby979
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:54 pm

If you have a bumper with a valve, pull the valve stem out to open it, squeeze some air out, hold it under water, let the pressure off so it sucks some up and close the valve. Won't take much and a little is better than a lot, as you want the water to slosh back and forth in the bumper as Pup runs with it to create the illusion of life/struggle and encourage a firmer hold.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:04 pm

You'll know if it has too much water in it. It will sink after you toss out the 1st water retrieve.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:24 am

HNTFSH wrote:You'll know if it has too much water in it. It will sink after you toss out the 1st water retrieve.

Have done that intentionally, too: giving the bumper nearly neutral buoyancy for a slow sink to encourage dunking for ducks. Good way to lose a bumper if you don't pick your spots wisely and, I think worse, teaches Pup to expect divers to stay in place.

Better to let a wing-clipped duck show them the ropes:
CIMG0249a.jpg
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:09 am

Rick Hall wrote:Better to let a wing-clipped duck show them the ropes:
CIMG0249a.jpg

Nothing better with a cup of coffee and popcorn. And of course, a witness if successful.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby quigby979 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:30 am

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely give that a try. I have also left it in her mouth longer instead of taking it from her quickly. She has already improved.
quigby979
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:04 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Better to let a wing-clipped duck show them the ropes:
The attachment CIMG0249a.jpg is no longer available

Nothing better with a cup of coffee and popcorn. And of course, a witness if successful.

CIMG0248a.jpg

CIMG0253a.jpg
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum