Victor

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Victor

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:43 am

Hasn't been a sexy dog food thread in awhile. :grooving: :lol3:

I was at TSC last week and on a whim picked up a 40# bag of Victor Performance 26/18 since Sammy is not getting the work of the PPP 30/20 blend. It was cheaper too which wasn't the reason but OK with me as PPP has inched up to be pretty steep these days.

I'll have to read up again on Victor but posting to say the dog certainly gobbled it up with vigor I haven't seen in awhile. Maybe just something new but pretty noticeable. Kind of monitoring the enthusiasm through 40 pounds.

Dogs never been food sensitive so switching is easy on him.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Victor

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:58 am

Always love a good dog food discussion! Will be curious to hear more about how your mutt does on Victor.

The breeder I got my new hell hound from feeds his dogs '4Health' brand food. They stock it at TSC, but I'd never heard of the stuff.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:59 am

While we're on the topic of feeding ..... I've been re-watching the Bill Hillman videos and there is a small segment where he addresses the many questions he obviously receives about how he feeds his dogs. He feeds dry kibble mixed with a can of meat (in the video, it's a can of tuna) and a scoop of a product called 'flex' which I believe he said is a digestive enzyme and probiotic additive.
Any of you fellas follow this regimen?
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:While we're on the topic of feeding ..... I've been re-watching the Bill Hillman videos and there is a small segment where he addresses the many questions he obviously receives about how he feeds his dogs. He feeds dry kibble mixed with a can of meat (in the video, it's a can of tuna) and a scoop of a product called 'flex' which I believe he said is a digestive enzyme and probiotic additive.

I do something similar. It's not called 'flex' but utilizes pizza crust, nearly outdated rotisserie chicken chunks and steak fat.

Can't imagine any of what Bill does there is a bad thing. :beer:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:03 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:While we're on the topic of feeding ..... I've been re-watching the Bill Hillman videos and there is a small segment where he addresses the many questions he obviously receives about how he feeds his dogs. He feeds dry kibble mixed with a can of meat (in the video, it's a can of tuna) and a scoop of a product called 'flex' which I believe he said is a digestive enzyme and probiotic additive.

I do something similar. It's not called 'flex' but utilizes pizza crust, nearly outdated rotisserie chicken chunks and steak fat.

Can't imagine any of what Bill does there is a bad thing. :beer:

You're playing a dangerous game, mister. Do you have any idea what a piece of pizza crust will do the the waistline of a British lab?
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby 5 stand » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:17 pm

The Atwood store that I purchase my PPP from stop handling it. So I moved to the vector performance 26 / 18. My dogs eat it well. I've only fed two bags, so no long-term info. I hope this thread gets updated every six months or so.
5 stand
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:25 am

I've fed Victor and PPP interchangeably to two dogs, but have stuck with the former the past couple or three years, largely to support friends' family feed store just down the road. Works for us.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Out grabbing Mac some food and they had this green labeled version next to the 20/30. Maybe a common one but I’ve never seen it.
3F9B3054-5D18-43E8-AFAB-244A9D58C0BA.jpeg
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:56 pm

sprigs4days wrote:Out grabbing Mac some food and they had this green labeled version next to the 20/30. Maybe a common one but I’ve never seen it.

I think they raised the prices a couple years ago to fund the now confusing bags. :fingerhead:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:Out grabbing Mac some food and they had this green labeled version next to the 20/30. Maybe a common one but I’ve never seen it.

I think they raised the prices a couple years ago to fund the now confusing bags. :fingerhead:

Tell me about it. I musta stood there for 5 minutes staring at both bags trying to figure out the difference. Didn’t care for the pic of the dog on the green labeled bag. Gonna stick with the 30/20.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum