Duck Hunting Forum banner

Force to the ground

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gonehuntin1 
#1 ·
Hi, hit a snag in the ff process at ff to the ground he will pick it up when I hold the bumper with one hand sticking one end up but when I remove my hand there seams to be a block I am following smart works and I know its a series of progressions its been 3 days I am ear pinching and have cc to fetch thanks

#2 ·
I'm a bit confused by the wording. You're 3 days into force fetch, or 3 days into this specific location (bumper on the ground)?

What do you mean you force fetched via ear pinch and CC? If you're just now putting the bumper on the ground, then you're still in force fetch...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am on day 7 of ear pinch I did hold first however I am on day 3 of fetch to the ground and he is just not getting it he will fetch in front up above his head and an inch from the ground as soon as I remove my hand he lays down and chews on it I am sure I am to blame, I know I have to stay with it and work through it everything else he handles well sorry for the mis info

#4 ·
The dog is confused. Slow down, back up to the table, and simplify. It sometimes takes a while before the dog completely puts things together. Start him at taking the tool from your hand, then from your hand with one end on the table, then completely on the table. Then you want to follow the same steps but have the dog moving from one side of the table to the other to get the bumper. When moving to the ground you start fresh with him taking it from your hand then make the same steps as on the table. The most common mistake is moving too quickly before the dog completely understands what is being asked.

#6 ·
Don't go to the ground until he's walking, holding, and heeling with it. When he drops it, YOU pinch his ear and put it back in dog's mouth. Don't try to make him pick it up. Don't use the collar until he's picking up off the ground. Once he's walking and holding, then sit the dog and very slowly start to the ground. When you get to the ground, pinch the ear until he picks it up. At this point, when he's sitting and sees the bumper, he should jump for it, no ear pinch involved. THEN he's ready to go to the ground. Patience, patience, patience. FF is a six week process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.