Filling a Pond?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Filling a Pond?

Postby xOttox » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:45 pm

So I've grown up hunting rivers where it's just a matter of finding water and working with it. This year I've lost river access and have a found spot not far off the river with an area that owner has filled in the past. There is a pit blind right in front of this area and there is a creek 25 yards from this spot.

Question I have; is filling the pond worth while with another water source that close? It's been a dry year and running the pump for the well to saturate this area to the point of holding any water may get...well costly.

Water rights in the state prevent us from pumping directly from the creek without a permit and those are near impossible to come by. So the well is the only option for filling this area.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
xOttox
hunter

Re: Filling a Pond?

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:44 am

xOttox wrote:So I've grown up hunting rivers where it's just a matter of finding water and working with it. This year I've lost river access and have a found spot not far off the river with an area that owner has filled in the past. There is a pit blind right in front of this area and there is a creek 25 yards from this spot.

Question I have; is filling the pond worth while with another water source that close? It's been a dry year and running the pump for the well to saturate this area to the point of holding any water may get...well costly.

Water rights in the state prevent us from pumping directly from the creek without a permit and those are near impossible to come by. So the well is the only option for filling this area.

How costly do you think?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby xOttox » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:39 am

Guessing around 6-800 for electric. A gas pump could be used but I do not own one.

xOttox
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 am

xOttox wrote:Guessing around 6-800 for electric. A gas pump could be used but I do not own one.

Season or month?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby xOttox » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:28 am

My guess is to get it filled initially 6-800 then whatever the cost drops to for the rest of the season (Oct-Jan) to keep it filled. I know that will depend on what the weather does but we have been in a drought scenario for the summer so I'm guessing the initial soak will take a fair bit of time.

xOttox
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting