One load: from Wood Ducks to Canada Geese

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Re: One load: from Wood Ducks to Canada Geese

Postby AppalachianHollers » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Well as an update it turns out I’m pass shooting local Canadas a good bit with 1550 BB loads. Had a bit of success during our October goose season. I’ve been ruined forever. Don’t hardly care about deer hunting anymore. I’m a waterfowl and turkey hunter first and foremost. Best part is most of my hunting buddies feel the same way now.

Duck opener is the day after Thanksgiving, and I’ve stocked up with some 1450fps 1 1/4 #2s—picked up Herter’s, Federal SpeedShok, and some Winchester XPert (as well as a box of #6, but I’ll save that for next woodie/teal season next September). Should hopefully be able to kill woodies even out to 50 yards. Best spots we’ve scouted will present shots way closer, but depending on what hunting pressure is like we might have to get mobile and move to spots where we’re stretching range.
Still running a factory Modified. Better chokes are a priority, but not as high up there as getting a blind bag and some more decoys (including water motion). Probably going to put together a DIY blind out of PVC for later in the season as vegetation disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AppalachianHollers
hunter

Re: One load: from Wood Ducks to Canada Geese

Postby AppalachianHollers » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Well, after being covered in Woodies this morning (TN opener), I have come to the conclusion that #2 shot ain’t ideal for them. Sparse patterns for such a small target, big holes in the ones we did hit. Going to switch to #4’s until bigger ducks show up, at which point the bigger target will justify going back to #2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AppalachianHollers
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum