Need new AT pickup tires

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Need new AT pickup tires

Postby cptmorgan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm

I bought a 2017 Ram 1500 with factory 275/60r20 tires that need replacing. I want an AT tire and am looking at BFG KO2s, Falken Wildpeak AT3s, and General Grabber ATXs. Any positive or negatives on these tires? I have been told the BFGs are only getting around 40,000 miles on them and hydroplane a little bit more than others. The General Grabbers have a similar tread design and haven’t heard the hydroplaning issue so I’m not sure on it. I’m hoping to get about 50000 to 55000 miles out of the new set. I put hankook dubs pro atms on my suburban in the past but didn’t drive it a lot so I never got to test longevity but did like the performance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cptmorgan
cptmorgan
hunter

Re: Need new AT pickup tires

Postby Coyote03 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 pm

I’ve been running g the mastercraft courser cxt on my last 2 trucks. And I’ll probably run them from now on. I get plenty of traction with minimal road noise. My tire guy is now pushing the Falken brand pretty hard. He says they are getting more mileage out of them, but they are also a bit more $....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coyote03
hunter

Postby fowlmouthed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Two of my coworkers had put falkens on their f-150 and f-350 super duty and like them. They said that they can go through the snow up a steep driveway in 2wd versus 4wd.
fowlmouthed
hunter

Postby cptmorgan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:42 pm

My local farm supply store stopped selling the Mastercraft tires and is now pushing the Falkens. I was looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler 2 tires now. I like the fact that the Nitto tires will maintain some gas mileage or so they say at least.
cptmorgan
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Check out the Nitto ridge grapplers if you actually need a real AT tire. The terra grapplers and the falken wildpeaks’s are just all season tires unless you get them in a large size like 33-35x12.5.

I have ridge grapplers (275/60r20’s) and have for 23k miles now with only about 3/32nd’s of wear. They’re fairly quiet but not silent, I say that because everybody seems to think they’re silent, they are not. BUT they are much more quiet than my buddy’s and my brother’s trucks that have the Wildpeaks on them. They ride and handle even better than the all season Goodyear’s my truck came with, and I haven’t gotten stuck yet and they’ve been through it all and even do quite well in snow. They’re labeled a “hybrid tire” a step between an All-terrain and a mud tire but they are a true all terrain tire of you ask me. Keep and eye on air pressure and I rotate every 4K miles and they’ve been great.
rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:47 am

Don't know your budget or your need (outside of mileage) so recommendations are a little tough but I'd throw in the Goodyear Duratrac's. 50K warranty, excellent mud/snow (it's not a mudder, those are specialty tires) performs well on wet pavement, are quiet (more so than others in their class) and eat snow. The extra caveat is (and the reason I am on my 3rd set on two trucks) is they don't hold gravel like most AT's. I hate tires that spit gravel on the paint for 3 miles after traveling a gravel road or drive which is a lot more often than driving in thick mud albeit in "hunting situations it does happen. Strong shoulders too.

Duratrac.JPG
Duratrac.JPG (21.25 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:52 am

Falkens are solid and affordable.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby cptmorgan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:07 am

I’m trying to keep it under or around $250 a tire range. Most of my driving will be on pavement but I will be driving gravel and dirt roads in the fall and winter for hunting and ice fishing. Mostly looking for a fairly quiet tire that will handle ice, snow, and gravel without getting chewed up. I rarely pull anything and if I do it’s not a heavy load but still think at least 8 ply, maybe it’s not necessary though.
cptmorgan
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:38 am

cptmorgan wrote:I’m trying to keep it under or around $250 a tire range. Most of my driving will be on pavement but I will be driving gravel and dirt roads in the fall and winter for hunting and ice fishing. Mostly looking for a fairly quiet tire that will handle ice, snow, and gravel without getting chewed up. I rarely pull anything and if I do it’s not a heavy load but still think at least 8 ply, maybe it’s not necessary though.

Think I get out the door at $1,199. My driving habits are not unlike yours. Hell...I've seen some AT's getting stuck in a slick muddy/icy parking lot at a hunting area. :lol3: It's a delicate balance...IMO worth the extra 200.00 on the Duratrac's, I've not gotten any wear or use from the Goodrich AT's that come on new trucks.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Maxgold » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Just make sure the tires you buy have the necessary amount of siping. Especially if you drive in ice and snow

Don't know what siping is? Google it - you won't be sorry.
Maxgold
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Your tire choice will depend on the off-road capabilities you require. From Passenger car tires to extreme mudders can be found to suit your needs. Narrow it down a bit and we can give better suggestions.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby cptmorgan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 pm

My vehicle will be used mostly for highway miles in summer months. Fall and winter I will use it for gravel and dirt roads to get to hunting and ice fishing locations. I live in North Dakota so we get icy roads and snow covered roads. I won’t be using it for rock climbing or anything like that. I am looking for something that can handle ice, snow, and rain covered roads as well as dry pavement and gravel.
cptmorgan
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:48 pm

cptmorgan wrote:My vehicle will be used mostly for highway miles in summer months. Fall and winter I will use it for gravel and dirt roads to get to hunting and ice fishing locations. I live in North Dakota so we get icy roads and snow covered roads. I won’t be using it for rock climbing or anything like that. I am looking for something that can handle ice, snow, and rain covered roads as well as dry pavement and gravel.

That's where I'm coming from. I'm not one to promote something because I have it. I promote it because it works. Not sure why Mudpack needs more info...the large majority of people here aren't rock climbers and mudders.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:54 am

cptmorgan wrote:My vehicle will be used mostly for highway miles in summer months. Fall and winter I will use it for gravel and dirt roads to get to hunting and ice fishing locations. I live in North Dakota so we get icy roads and snow covered roads. I won’t be using it for rock climbing or anything like that. I am looking for something that can handle ice, snow, and rain covered roads as well as dry pavement and gravel.

Then get Falkens. Very reasonable price, quiet, but can handle some nasty when needed.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:

Then get Falkens. Very reasonable price, quiet, but can handle some nasty when needed.

Might be the answer, never rode on any. Tell us if you get 65K out of them. The tread pattern doesn't scream traction but maybe gives mileage?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:44 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Bluesky2012 wrote:

Might be the answer, never rode on any. Tell us if you get 65K out of them. The tread pattern doesn't scream traction but maybe gives mileage?

I’ve got a few thousand on them, but my two friends (who pushed them heavily on me) have at least 40 but maybe around 65 on them, I can ask. Regardless, wear has been fine.

Overall the Falken ATs have been quiet yet good grip in mud, clay and water but I personally haven’t run them in snow (don’t get it down here but the reviews are good). I didn’t see any gas mileage change when I moved from the stock roller blade tires that came on my truck.

I didn’t want a mud tire or anything too over the top, wanted to still be able to ride down the interstate well but also handle nastiness when needed, and have to still look decent getting in and out in a suit or in camo, but overall I’ve been pleased. Good tire, good price.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:...and have to still look decent getting in and out in a suit or in camo, but overall I’ve been pleased. Good tire, good price.

:lol3: You need what some old DHC poster had a pic of several years ago. His Prom tux was Carhartt. :bow:

Either way you slice it, treads and threads. :grooving:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby California Sprig » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Here’s a tire post I made in 2016 concerning Hercules Terra Trac AT2’s. I’m on my second set of Terra Trac AT’s. I got 50000 miles out of the first set and could have got more but I generally replace my tires before they absolutely need to be. What I wrote in 2016 still apples today. I spend a lot of time in boonies hunting and fishing and these tires have never failed me. Check them out, I think you’ll like them.
My 2016 post - I've had numerous 4x4 trucks over the last 30 or so years. All of them have had at' s on them. A few (not all) include Toyo, BFG, Big O, Cooper, and several others. Toyo'a got good traction but wore more quickly than expected. BFG's were great tires but they tended to hydroplane in wet roads where others didn't. Had a set of Bridgestone Desert Duelers, they wore out in 20000 miles. Big O were also good tires but they were a little noisy and also didn't wear as well as they should. (I have always had my tires rotated and balanced at each oil change)
A few months ago I needed new tires on my truck and got some I have never had before. I got a set of Hercules Terra Track AT2's. They have a 60000 mile warranty. Here is my experience so far - excellent in the rain, no hydro planing, good traction. Great traction in the snow. They did surprisingly well in mud. They are by no means mudders but during waterfowl season they took me down and back on some quite muddy roads. They actually cleared the mud from the treads pretty well. Took my truck to deer camp up in the Sierras about 7500' elevation over gravel and dirt roads, logging roads and 4x4 trails, great traction no problems. One other thing is that they are the most quiet AT's I have ever had. Basically no road noise. I have had them for about 6 months and put maybe 5000
miles on them and no noticeable wear. Time will tell how many miles I get out of them but so far I am quite satisfied with them. Also they are reasonably priced.
Attachments
5AA0D385-4808-48EE-B65D-DB807A9B0966.jpeg
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:54 am

Couple other options...

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT-- had a set of them on my '08 Xterra when I traded it for a 2015. Two thumbs up-- I'd buy another set. If you're not a hard-core off-roader, they are hard to beat.

Hankook DynaPro AT/m RF10-- I finally wore a set of these out-- they were standard equipment on Pro/4X Xterra last two years of production. I LOVED 'em but could not find a set last time I looked for tires. I got the Coopers instead.

I drove home from work one evening when the city streets were a sheet of ice. I put it in 4-HI and picked my way around various SUVs and 4x4s with their headlights pointing every direction but down the road! And this was going uphill. The Hankooks were awesome that night! Great in snow as well.
My .02.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum