Best Jacket

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Best Jacket

Postby Magoof » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:23 pm

I have been looking for the warmest, lightest, waterproof, windproof and tear proof water fowl jacket with hood. It has to be something that can withstand the cold of -25, and most do not. I have an older jacket that is great except for it is too heavy.
I need it to keep me warm in northern US and Canada as well as use it for outfitting in the bush for Birds, Bear and Moose.

I see Sitka says they are good, but they are pricey, but if this is a great all around jacket I will buy it. So is there any advice?
Magoof
hunter

Re: Best Jacket

Postby BearRiverBanded » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:00 pm

From the drake and sitka jackets I have the sitka is warmer. Pricy is correct but you get what you pay for.
BearRiverBanded
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:20 am

I've moved to layering high quality undergarments and then a good shell. It's more controlled, not as heavy and less bulky. Maybe consider that if you aren't satisfied with what's out there.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:07 am

The key to staying warm is layering. Get yourself a quality jacket or parka that fits most of your needs and then plan your layering. I have 3 waterfowl parkas. The one I wear the most is my inexpensive Cabelas parka. It’s 10 years old and keeps me warm and dry. Looks good for 10 years use. Then I layer for the conditions. I start with a non cotton T-shirt and a set of expedition weight thermal underwear. Over that I may wear a wool sweater and a warm wind proof vest and finally my parka. In really cold conditions I may add either an extra set of thermal underwear or another wool waterfowl sweater. As it warms up or I’m doing something strenuous I peel layers.
To stay warm it’s also important to keep your head and feet warm but that’s another discussion. So find yourself a quality jacket/parka and plan out your layering for the conditions.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:48 am

Magoof wrote:I have been looking for the warmest, lightest, waterproof, windproof and tear proof water fowl jacket with hood.

Do you want it breathable also?
You'll not find all those qualities in one jacket since there are a lot of compromises in that grouping.
Seems to me that a down jacket with a waterproof over-jacket would fill those requirements the best, especially if you're going for bear, moose, etc in the north woods.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby optimator » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:47 am

I just bought a Sitka Delta wader jacket. I'm also getting the duck oven to go with it. Looks to be a great combo.
optimator
hunter

Postby AMMO » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:18 pm

The Sitka Hudson jacket is what you’re looking for. Ive had drake, cabelas, Filson (which I still wear occasionally) but the Sitka is the trick. They have many different jackets for each specific situation but if you want a single jacket and don’t like the idea of layering then the Hudson is for you. As mentioned above, the delta wading jacket (basically the uninsulated version of the Hudson) would be an ideal choice if you don’t mind layering on cold days. And it would give you options on the warmer days and wear the same coat.

-AMMO
AMMO
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:30 pm

optimator wrote:I just bought a Sitka Delta wader jacket. I'm also getting the duck oven to go with it. Looks to be a great combo.

Attaboy. You won't be disappointed.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:40 pm

AMMO wrote:The Sitka Hudson jacket is what you’re looking for. Ive had drake, cabelas, Filson (which I still wear occasionally) but the Sitka is the trick. They have many different jackets for each specific situation but if you want a single jacket and don’t like the idea of layering then the Hudson is for you. As mentioned above, the delta wading jacket (basically the uninsulated version of the Hudson) would be an ideal choice if you don’t mind layering on cold days. And it would give you options on the warmer days and wear the same coat.

-AMMO

Sitka Hudson is 'coat-length' and not ideal for wading water like the Delta JACKET. Aw heck, get one of each-- but wait until the off-season sales yet to come. If I could only get one... I'd opt for the Delta. Most versatile, but then I like wading/hunting water.
Pssst-- layering is the key.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Tim Terrell wrote:
AMMO wrote:The Sitka Hudson jacket is what you’re looking for. Ive had drake, cabelas, Filson (which I still wear occasionally) but the Sitka is the trick. They have many different jackets for each specific situation but if you want a single jacket and don’t like the idea of layering then the Hudson is for you. As mentioned above, the delta wading jacket (basically the uninsulated version of the Hudson) would be an ideal choice if you don’t mind layering on cold days. And it would give you options on the warmer days and wear the same coat.

-AMMO

Sitka Hudson is 'coat-length' and not ideal for wading water like the Delta JACKET. Aw heck, get one of each-- but wait until the off-season sales yet to come. If I could only get one... I'd opt for the Delta. Most versatile, but then I like wading/hunting water.
Pssst-- layering is the key.

Get what you're saying but is the Hudson too thick to tuck into your waders? :huh: I don't plan to buy any much less two but as an upland/deer guy too, thought I'd ask.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Yes, you COULD tuck the Hudson down into your waders, but you can't access those two front pockets. 'Might be in the way of the hand-warmer pockets--higher-up-- as well. The Hudson also has a non-skid patch on the tail-- made for sitting that ass down and keeping it planted I suppose.
You buy the Delta wading jacket and wear it OUTSIDE your 'chesties. Layer-up with more Sitka, or wool... or whatever and as much as required for comfort.
Duck Oven is special-made to wear under chest waders-- no insulation at the bottom 1/3. Sitka has gone with a more 'athletic fit' recently-- I'd order-up one size from your 'normal' sizing.
In the off-season Sitka makes for the best daggone dog-walking gear on the planet. LOL.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Tim Terrell wrote:In the off-season Sitka makes for the best daggone dog-walking gear on the planet. LOL.

Far be it from me to knock a good dog walker. :lol3: :thumbsup:

Beyond that never been able to justify the cost of Sitka. I do layer and I do hate "coats". You'll always find me with a hearty vest and layers beneath. I bought a Gander Mountain "waterproof" H20 coat about 15 years ago but that was mostly for rain days but that's been it. Definitely would not go for the "athletic cut" as while it looks cool and manly on mannequins but reminds me of restriction in the..ah...mid section.

Fact is when it's really, really cold here, I don't duck hunt. :lol3: Stuff freezes so fast there's very few places to even try and we're not near much moving water that's permissionable. Way too hard to get permission on AG land near moving water. The locals suck it up or the deer hunters lock it out.

I'm still extremely skeptical of ANY glove but maybe sometime I'll shoot for the Sitka beanie. Might be the best money for our 1 week deer gun season.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby blakduck » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:32 am

First Lite Chamberlain Down Jacket w/First Lite SEAK rain jacket as a shell
blakduck
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum