Sbe2 vs Sbe3 reliability

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Sbe2 vs Sbe3 reliability

Postby Honkerblaster » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:57 pm

I’m looking into getting a benelli super black eagle. I’ve seen how benelli added a part to the sbe3 to always make sure the bolt locks into battery. Was this actually a frequent issue with the sbe2? Personally like the fit and feel of a sbe2 better, not to mention I think it’s a much better looking gun as well. But if it’s truly problematic I’d rather not fork out the cash for one and spend the extra money on a sbe3. Anyone with sbe2 experience that can chime in? There’s lots of nice guns out there but the benelli is what I’m in the market for, I’ve picked up and handled most of the newer semi autos and they all have their pros and cons for me.
Now I understand Remington's slogan "one moment, one shot." It's because you should consider yourself lucky if you get more than one shot with their guns
Honkerblaster
hunter

Re: Sbe2 vs Sbe3 reliability

Postby C M Wings » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 pm

I had a sbe2 and was the victim of the benelli click many times. I also thought it kicked like a mule and didn’t like the 1 1/8 3 dram shells it’s supposed to cycle. I traded for an extrema 2 and never looked back. The beretta may not be as slick or sexy but it has never failed to cycle or fire any shell i feed it.

I hear the sbe3 shoots way high. I’ve only handled one but do a search on this site for lots of valuable data.
Last edited by C M Wings on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 am

Buy an original SBE if you can find one. They are the best of the 3. :thumbsup:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 pm

When I owned my sbe2 you do notice that you have to make sure the bolt is fully seated home. Not a huge issue at all when hitting the button to send it home, but when you manually pull the boat back, just make sure it fully seats forward.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Wade_660 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am

I’ve had a sbe2 for years and never had a glitch. It’s been in some tough conditions as well and worked flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wade_660
hunter

Postby bigmel » Fri May 01, 2020 4:55 pm

I have a SBE2 and has experienced the benelli click.i wish you could just buy a new up graded bolt but that's just me the SBE3 is a softer shooting gun . I finally switched to a Beretta A400 plus and have been super happy.
bigmel
hunter

Postby goose2 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:45 pm

I currently have a one of all three of the SBE wich I purchased all three new. I have been a huge Benelli fan and enjoyed em all. The SBE II does have the famous click along with the SBE I. The III does not have the click so that’s fixed but there are two things I am not thrilled about and they kick like a mule with the big shells in and you all know they shoot high, real high. I used to think they were the only waterfowl gun made just because it’s a Benelli.
All that changed when my trusty old gun dealer let me demo a Beretta a400 xtreme plus. The latest and greatest one. To say I fell in love with that gun is an understatement. I just had to have one and I have never looked back. Way less recoil and it will cycle any shell you feed it. It doesn’t matter it doesn’t care. To me it is the best complete fowl gun made hands down. There are a lot of waterfowl guns made and they will all get the job done. It’s how they get it done that counts. If you have never shot one do yourself a favor and shoot one. Pure pleasure.
goose2
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm

I have read on another forum that the 3 has an issue with shooting substantially high. I have no idea if true and I have not shot one so I don't know this from personal experience. Might be worth a google.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Wed May 13, 2020 7:06 pm

I own 2 original SBE's. Never encountered "click". Close your bolt!
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 14, 2020 5:06 am

NW Birdhunter wrote:I own 2 original SBE's. Never encountered "click". Close your bolt!

I've come to think of the click as a mechanical aptitude indcator, with suffering them repeatedly being the lowest possible mark.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
NW Birdhunter wrote:I own 2 original SBE's. Never encountered "click". Close your bolt!

I've come to think of the click as a mechanical aptitude indcator, with suffering them repeatedly being the lowest possible mark.

I agree but I've always thought just buying one was more telling than operator error ........SBE 1's were nice guns , after that
the story goes on ! :yes: :lol3: Easy now Rick , I have sensitive ears/eyes too !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 am

Aside from the figgin doubles Orvis men use to destroy our cover and the pistol-like little crack-barrels some dads think their kids should wave around, I quit being much concerned with what guns guests bring when I began stashing a spare gun in the blind. I'm even OK with Brownings and Remington semi-autos, as long as we have that dependable spare.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri May 15, 2020 7:55 am

And what would the spare be?
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 15, 2020 11:47 am

ohio mike wrote:And what would the spare be?

An 870 Express I took lapping compound to and had a smith friend hone the chamber on that I almost invariably end up using because the guests with problem guns would rather shoot my Montefeltro 20. The 870 swings like the proverbial 2x4 but beats nothing on mornings when they need my help.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Thought so,there are two 870 Express in the family that have been tuned up the same way. Glad your the one using it. There's nothing more pathetic(or funny) then watching a adult use a pump for the first time,may as well be a single shot. Seen more then one try to pump a semi in reverse situations. :lol3:
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:05 am

Like Wade said: I’ve had a sbe2 for years and never had a glitch. It’s been in some tough conditions as well and worked flawlessly.

Just don't pound the stock on the blind floor and you will be fine. Hit the button and let it slam, you'll be fine.

I'm looking to get the the SBE III. Being left-handed, my choices are limited and the SBE III now comes in a left-handed camo model.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli Super Nova, & a Canon 7D Mk II & a Canon 5D Mk IV

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:04 am

Lefty Ray wrote: Being left-handed, my choices are limited and the SBE III now comes in a left-handed camo model.

Lefties do have a limited amount of options. For what it is worth, look at the Fabarm Waterfowler. I know they are in left handed too but other than Benelli and Fabarm, I think you are limited for autos.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 am

I actually saw and handled the right-handed version of what you mentioned at one of the vendor spots at the National Sporting Clays Championship yesterday. Didn't care on how it felt or shouldered. The camo was kinda funky

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli Super Nova, & a Canon 7D Mk II & a Canon 5D Mk IV

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby DontGetCrabs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:30 pm

It's an automatic, its going to jam.
DontGetCrabs
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 am

So I l've been shooting benelli's for about 17 years now. I've had an SBE, SBE2, M1 and 2 M2's. Tens of thousands of rounds through them. I've had exactly 1 "benelli click". It was with my SBE the first time I hunted it. It was because I didn't let it slam forward when I released the bolt. That said, all these people with these "clicks" are weird to me. I do keep my guns very clean, but how is this ever an issue? I don't get it.....
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby C M Wings » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:34 am

I love the comments about do this or that and you won't get a "click." You shouldn't have to worry about it in the first place and there are enough instances heck just reported here that it is an issue. It's one small reason I got rid of mine. The SBE-2 just seems so closely spec'd with the return spring in order to allow it to shoot all kinds of different shells that when you start getting some heavy loads in there you will run in to this at some point. The spring can't be so strong that it won't cycle 3 dram target loads and as such seems just "right there" with energy to cycle the heavy ones. If it were a dedicated 2.75 waterfowl to 3.5 inch gun I bet you'd never hear of a click problem. That said, gas guns are just less finicky because the gas system allows enough from whatever shell to cycle the gun.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:04 pm

My sbe2 has been nearly flawless, it was a single shot once, had it near the heater of a pit blind and snow was blowing directly into the bolt, froze up like a B! Blew a nice double when a pair of honkers sailed in.

Thawed it out and back to normal! No clicks, but an after market spring can solve that if you are concerned.
dduckman
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
ohio mike wrote:And what would the spare be?

An 870 Express I took lapping compound to and had a smith friend hone the chamber on that I almost invariably end up using because the guests with problem guns would rather shoot my Montefeltro 20. The 870 swings like the proverbial 2x4 but beats nothing on mornings when they need my help.
I’d love to shoot that montefeltro just to say that I had.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:07 am

C M Wings wrote:I love the comments about do this or that and you won't get a "click."

Heck, I've had the 'Benelli click' occur on my Browning Gold and my Beretta A300. It occurs when the bolt doesn't quite go INTO battery, not when the gun is jarred and it accidentally comes OUT as in the Benelli. I've gotten into the habit over the years, of almost subconsciously pushing the charging handle forward several times a hunt....just to make sure everything is copacetic.
You own and use a mechanical device long enough and you come to learn....AND COMPENSATE FOR.....its idiosyncrasies.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Several posters here have echoed my thoughts almost exactly. Buy an A400 if you like a soft shooter.
If you can't afford, and think you might need a back-up (traveling to Canada for instance), Buy an SX4 (or SX3 if you can find one). Both those are soft shooters, and the step down from using an A400 to an SX4 is negligible in felt recoil.
Had a SBEII. Like others have said, it kicks like a mule. Most guys I know that jettisoned the Benelli's said the thought of having to run a box of 3.5s thru one would make a grown man wet himself down both legs to the knee.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum