Love my pump, but...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Love my pump, but...

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:24 am

It’s time for a semi. Been shooting pumps since I was in my teens, I’m now old and figured I’d give one a go. Have an A300 on the way. Hoping to get a few hunts in with it before season ends.

Seemed like the right choice for a first timer like myself when it comes to semi’s. Most of the reviews I read mentioned the upkeep of one is pretty simple, which I gotta admit was always a little intimidating to me and made my choice of a pump pretty easy.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Re: Love my pump, but...

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:06 pm

sprigs4days wrote:It’s time for a semi. Been shooting pumps since I was in my teens, I’m now old and figured I’d give one a go. Have an A300 on the way. Hoping to get a few hunts in with it before season ends.

Seemed like the right choice for a first timer like myself when it comes to semi’s. Most of the reviews I read mentioned the upkeep of one is pretty simple, which I gotta admit was always a little intimidating to me and made my choice of a pump pretty easy.

Don't screw up on your 1st double. :lol3: :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:21 pm

Haha yes. Like your first automatic transmission vehicle after driving a stick forever. You move your foot to the clutch that isn’t there.
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:57 pm

Unless you've been shooting a Winchester pump, I'm guessing safety placement will be your initial Beretta hitch.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:26 am

Great gun. I can't imagine that you will be dissatisfied. Congrats on your new gun and good luck out there.
jsh909
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:10 am

HNTFSH wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:It’s time for a semi. Been shooting pumps since I was in my teens, I’m now old and figured I’d give one a go. Have an A300 on the way. Hoping to get a few hunts in with it before season ends.

Don't screw up on your 1st double. :lol3: :thumbsup:

Pretty sure it’s gonna happen
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:15 am

Rick Hall wrote:Unless you've been shooting a Winchester pump, I'm guessing safety placement will be your initial Beretta hitch.

I have not. Mossberg, Remington and Benelli.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:15 am

jsh909 wrote:Great gun. I can't imagine that you will be dissatisfied. Congrats on your new gun and good luck out there.

Thanks bud
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Good choice for an autoloader. Lots of us are impressed by the A300. It's quality and shooting characteristics are those of a shotgun costing twice as much.
I noticed you started the same thread on another forum. Lots of good advice over there, too.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:26 pm

I’d say you chose wisely. Enjoy. That gun is a tank.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 am

sprigs4days wrote: Most of the reviews I read mentioned the upkeep of one is pretty simple, which I gotta admit was always a little intimidating to me and made my choice of a pump pretty easy.

Received your new A300 yet?
By the way, if you can disassemble and reassemble your Remington pump, you can do the same with your new Beretta autoloader. One bit of advice on that: before you disassemble your A300 for the first time, be SURE to read the Instruction Manual that comes with it. Pay particular attention to page 21, the first bullet point under the section titled "BARREL". These two sentences are easily overlooked and may seem trivial...they are anything but. :thumbsup:

Also, and not mentioned in the Manual; when you are putting the bolt back into the receiver, it is very easy to line up the side rails on that bolt with the wrong slots in the receiver. In fact, it's easier to put it in wrong than to put it in correctly. If this happens, the gun will still go together, but will be locked up when you're done. :sad:

You may also notice....as have I and others....that the two tiny, weak, little tabs that are located on the rear of the forearm (on the non-wood models) and are suppose to fit into slots on either side of the receiver, will break off if you so much as look at them disapprovingly. This is of no consequence! The gun will go back together and function perfectly without them. :clapping:
(On my gun, one was already broken off when I first disassembled the gun, the other broke off as I was re-assembling it.)
Enjoy your new Beretta and let us know how it treats you! :beer:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:05 am

mudpack wrote:
sprigs4days wrote: Most of the reviews I read mentioned the upkeep of one is pretty simple, which I gotta admit was always a little intimidating to me and made my choice of a pump pretty easy.

Received your new A300 yet?
By the way, if you can disassemble and reassemble your Remington pump, you can do the same with your new Beretta autoloader. One bit of advice on that: before you disassemble your A300 for the first time, be SURE to read the Instruction Manual that comes with it. Pay particular attention to page 21, the first bullet point under the section titled "BARREL". These two sentences are easily overlooked and may seem trivial...they are anything but. :thumbsup:

Also, and not mentioned in the Manual; when you are putting the bolt back into the receiver, it is very easy to line up the side rails on that bolt with the wrong slots in the receiver. In fact, it's easier to put it in wrong than to put it in correctly. If this happens, the gun will still go together, but will be locked up when you're done. :sad:

You may also notice....as have I and others....that the two tiny, weak, little tabs that are located on the rear of the forearm (on the non-wood models) and are suppose to fit into slots on either side of the receiver, will break off if you so much as look at them disapprovingly. This is of no consequence! The gun will go back together and function perfectly without them. :clapping:
(On my gun, one was already broken off when I first disassembled the gun, the other broke off as I was re-assembling it.)
Enjoy your new Beretta and let us know how it treats you! :beer:

Just came across this, mud. I picked it up last week of the season, so I was able to get it out for a few hunts. Love it! Broke it down as soon as I got it home and I gotta be honest, it took a couple readings of the owners manual and found a pretty good YouTube vid to get her back together. Since then I’ve cleaned her up a few times and it’s no problem. Lightweight and not too bad of a kick when shooting 3’s. Got late season goose starting tomorrow, can’t wait to get her out.

Thanks for the tips, mud. Appreciate it.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:27 am

Rick Hall wrote:Unless you've been shooting a Winchester pump, I'm guessing safety placement will be your initial Beretta hitch.

You are right
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:31 am

sprigs4days wrote:

You are right

From this past season's log:

Date: 1/4

Malfunctions: John's A5 had its umpteenth "never did that before" failure to cycle, but he finally let me check the rings and remove the problem. I used the Model 12 16ga John blessed me with - and struggled to find it's misplaced (forward of trigger) safety.

Date: 1/5

Malfunctions: In an ironic twist, our first op found me trying to punch the little Benelli's safety in the wrong place after shooting the Model 12 yesterday.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:43 am

Rick Hall wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:

You are right

From this past season's log:

Date: 1/4

Malfunctions: John's A5 had its umpteenth "never did that before" failure to cycle, but he finally let me check the rings and remove the problem. I used the Model 12 16ga John blessed me with - and struggled to find it's misplaced (forward of trigger) safety.

Date: 1/5

Malfunctions: In an ironic twist, our first op found me trying to punch the little Benelli's safety in the wrong place after shooting the Model 12 yesterday.

Damned if it ain’t the smallest things. Had to come up with some off the wall metaphor to make me remember out is safe in is not.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:27 am

sprigs4days wrote:Damned if it ain’t the smallest things. Had to come up with some off the wall metaphor to make me remember out is safe in is not.

In that same vein, I suppose putting hair around it might make the safety easier to find...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:Damned if it ain’t the smallest things. Had to come up with some off the wall metaphor to make me remember out is safe in is not.

In that same vein, I suppose putting hair around it might make the safety easier to find...

I laughed and gagged a little
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:36 pm

Dad and I each ordered Brand new 870 Wingmaster 3" magnums in 1962. Of course, not knowing better, Dad took advise from an Old Timer and ordered the 30" full chokes on both guns.
The catalog we ordered from pictured the gun with a ribbed forearm, but the gun came with 'stamped' checkering, perhaps the first year the magnum models had made that switch as the 2.75 models already were stamped checkering.
I killed no small number of ducks and geese with the gun, and I still have mine, but after hunting several years with it, my cousin allowed me to shoot his Winchester model 50 with a 28" modified choke (Semi). My kill ratio skyrocketed instantly, and I rushed out and bought a used one at once. Hunted with it for years, but a bad first wife absconded with it in her last major temper tantrum. Knowing it was a prized possession, she went straight for the throat.
Until I bought my current Beretta A400, I never found it's equal in any semi shotgun.
I bought an Winchester SX3 for a back up after falling in the mud once with the A400, and it is an excellent gun, but it has been placed in my sons hands now, as a father should always take care to see his son properly armed in these troubled times.
Altho my current wife of 37 years is very generous about my expenditures on sporting equipment, I have not yet put a full press effort into the purchase of the new Browning WickedWing Maxus II, which I have come to lust after mightily of late.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Dad and I each ordered Brand new 870 Wingmaster 3" magnums in 1962. Of course, not knowing better, Dad took advise from an Old Timer and ordered the 30" full chokes on both guns.
The catalog we ordered from pictured the gun with a ribbed forearm, but the gun came with 'stamped' checkering, perhaps the first year the magnum models had made that switch as the 2.75 models already were stamped checkering.
I killed no small number of ducks and geese with the gun, and I still have mine, but after hunting several years with it, my cousin allowed me to shoot his Winchester model 50 with a 28" modified choke (Semi). My kill ratio skyrocketed instantly, and I rushed out and bought a used one at once. Hunted with it for years, but a bad first wife absconded with it in her last major temper tantrum. Knowing it was a prized possession, she went straight for the throat.
Until I bought my current Beretta A400, I never found it's equal in any semi shotgun.
I bought an Winchester SX3 for a back up after falling in the mud once with the A400, and it is an excellent gun, but it has been placed in my sons hands now, as a father should always take care to see his son properly armed in these troubled times.
Altho my current wife of 37 years is very generous about my expenditures on sporting equipment, I have not yet put a full press effort into the purchase of the new Browning WickedWing Maxus II, which I have come to lust after mightily of late.

Cool story, but I got the a300
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:04 am

Before your lust of that Maxis turns into a purchase I hope you have a least shot one or at a minimum shouldered it several times. I say this cause I’m a born and bread Remington shooter and I haven’t come across one yet that did t fit me. And I also shoot an A400 that fits well too. I have, however, shouldered the Maxus twice and can tell you it doesn’t fit me at all. I’d probably shoot over every target and bird with it. Didn’t measure it but I’d guess the drop at comb is higher than on the other aforementioned guns. Don’t get me wrong, the Maxus is a very nice gun. But it’s useless to me if it doesn’t shoot where I look.
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Shurshot wrote:Before your lust of that Maxis turns into a purchase I hope you have a least shot one or at a minimum shouldered it several times. I say this cause I’m a born and bread Remington shooter and I haven’t come across one yet that did t fit me. I have, however, shouldered the Maxus twice and can tell you it doesn’t fit me at all. I’d probably shoot over every target and bird with it. Didn’t measure it but I’d guess the drop at comb is higher than on the other aforementioned guns. Don’t get me wrong, the Maxus is a very nice gun. But it’s useless to me if it doesn’t shoot where I look.

---------------------------
That's probably why the Maxus comes supplied with 6 shims.
Mine fit me perfectly without any adjustments needed for length of pull-- or cast and drop. Maxus comes with a flat-shooting rib... and fit me like an old Remington right out of the gate. Funny-- but you don't sound like you was a born and 'bread' Remington shooter to me.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Remingtons since ~1967 to my last new one about 6 years ago. Sportsman 58, 1100’s, 1187, 870’s, 3200’s, all gauges except 10...all fit me just fine and i shoot them all well. Could have been Maxus’s I shouldered were “fit”’for the owners themselves?? With all those adjustments, something’s bound to change the fit .....then maybe I could get it to shoot as well as my guns ....
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 am

Shurshot wrote:Before your lust of that Maxis turns into a purchase I hope you have a least shot one or at a minimum shouldered it several times. I say this cause I’m a born and bread Remington shooter and I haven’t come across one yet that did t fit me. And I also shoot an A400 that fits well too. I have, however, shouldered the Maxus twice and can tell you it doesn’t fit me at all. I’d probably shoot over every target and bird with it. Didn’t measure it but I’d guess the drop at comb is higher than on the other aforementioned guns. Don’t get me wrong, the Maxus is a very nice gun. But it’s useless to me if it doesn’t shoot where I look.

Agreed. As there are none to shoulder here about, I am going to wait a while, not just because of the current political situation, or cash involved, but for reasons you mention.

My A400 seemed to have little patience with me straight out of the box. From the very first shot, it took over and does the aiming for me in most situations. Once it understood the gender ID concept, it has performed swimmingly, tho I suspect all of my Canadas are now Ganders.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum