Duck Hunting Forum banner

Beretta A400 and A300

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  mudpack 
#1 ·
Stimmy1 and Stimmy2. I now have a new primary and backup for the next season. I got away from waterfowling for 4 or 5 years. I went a couple times just to convince myself I wasn't dead yet. I had sold my Benelli and thought I'd just use my 870. But Beretta fever hit with a vengeance. I will get out this weekend and see how they pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
I bought my daughter an A300 for Christmas because she's outgrown her youth Mossberg. All the Beretta's I've ever shouldered just haven't fit me right, but when I went to buy it for her, I shouldered it just for $hits and giggles. I came really close to walking out of the store with two A300s. I was surprised at how well it fit me.

#5 ·
A400 Beretta. Best gun I ever held, hands down the best gun I ever shot. Going on 9 seasons now.
But I haven't had a chance to handle the new Browning Wicked Wing Maxus 2...looking forward to doing a taste test between the two of those.

#7 ·
Where does the safety "belong"?

In front of the trigger?
In the rear of the trigger?
On the tang?

There are several places to have a safety, and they are all appropriate, depending on personal preferences.
I don't have a preference; I can shoot a gun regardless of the safety's location. And I have shotguns with safeties in all three of those places.
So can you.....it just takes a little (very little) getting used to. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
mudpack said:
You're ever so much better at all of this stuff than I.

From my 1/4/21 log -

"Malfunctions: John's A5 had its umpteenth "never did that before" failure to cycle, but he finally let me check the rings and remove the problem. I used the Model 12 16ga John blessed me with - and struggled to find it's misplaced (forward of trigger) safety."

From my 1/5/21 log -

"Malfunctions: In an ironic twist, our first op found me trying to punch the little Benelli's safety in the wrong place after shooting the Model 12 yesterday.

#9 ·
Rick Hall said:
mudpack said:
You're ever so much better at all of this stuff than I.
From my 1/4/21 log -
"Malfunctions: John's A5 had its umpteenth "never did that before" failure to cycle, but he finally let me check the rings and remove the problem. I used the Model 12 16ga John blessed me with - and struggled to find it's misplaced (forward of trigger) safety."
From my 1/5/21 log -
"Malfunctions: In an ironic twist, our first op found me trying to punch the little Benelli's safety in the wrong place after shooting the Model 12 yesterday.
All of which rather proves my point about getting used to your gun's safety's position. Both those instances were results of the first day's use of a different gun. Are you implying that you struggled ALL DAY on both those days with finding the safety?
I'll bet not; you're a faster learner than that.

#13 ·
Rick Hall said:
mudpack said:
Rick Hall said:
Psst, my "wrong place" complaint has been spoofin' from the onset.
Are you in the habit of "spoofing" yourself in your own hunting log? :huh:
Would like to think most would be sharp enough to see I was laughing at myself in the log.
Well stop that. This is serious, professional talk here.

#14 ·
I can handle a tang safety,double triggers, hammer guns, and even those backwards slide safetys on bolt actions.A inside the trigger guard ones are no problem. For some reason I can't abide the Winchester safety or release triggers. I've had two model 12's and a model 42 that I let go of because of my ineptness and I really really liked that little 42. It may be because I use the second knuckle to release pumpgun safetys. :huh: I've only been at this for 67 years so perhaps I'll try again some day.

#17 ·
Nothing against Black guns, something about that Xtreme Plus with that new Bottomland just says "Mean" I don't know why? Would like to add one but, almost fell over when I saw the price tag. Just like the beautiful women I see, price is waay too high!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.