Rem. STS, Nitro 27 and ShurShot Hulls,steel shot

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Rem. STS, Nitro 27 and ShurShot Hulls,steel shot

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 am

I have a few Nitro 27 hulls(gold)(100) and a trash bag full of ShurShot hulls. The question is, using a steel shot load recipes can I substitute the ShurShot for the Nitro 27? The ShurShot hulls are marked Heavy Dove Load. and are green., with low brass.

George
There is no unity in "diversity"

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Re: Rem. STS, Nitro 27 and ShurShot Hulls,steel shot

Postby cannon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 am

Yes.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm

cannon wrote:Yes.

The reason I asked, I ran across a post by Ned, saying the ShurShot were straight walled and the the Nitro were tapered, just wanted to clear things. The Shurshot appear tapered to me as does the Nitro 27, but what do I know.

George

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
cannon wrote:Yes.

The reason I asked, I ran across a post by Ned, saying the ShurShot were straight walled and the the Nitro were tapered, just wanted to clear things. The Shurshot appear tapered to me as does the Nitro 27, but what do I know.

George

I've loaded 1,000's of 'em. They're tapered. Sportsman's, on the other hand, which are the cheaper equivalent to their NitroMag's, are definitely straight-walled hulls. If rem makes 'em and they look like trap hulls, they're tapered.
cannon
hunter

Postby MK10 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I have a few Nitro 27 hulls(gold)(100) and a trash bag full of ShurShot hulls. The question is, using a steel shot load recipes can I substitute the ShurShot for the Nitro 27? The ShurShot hulls are marked Heavy Dove Load. and are green., with low brass.

George

All the current ShurShot (lead and steel shot) loads we're seeing here are loaded by B&P and wear a Cheddite (Reifenhauser style/Parallel sided) hull. The earlier (over 2-3 years ago) ShurShot steel and lead shot loads incorporated a Gordon Case system.

You can confirm weather your hulls are a European (i.e. Cheddite) or tapered type by simply looking in them and seeing if they incorporate a low plastic basewad or a tapered profile.

Here are a couple of examples of the European loaded ammunition and Reifenhauser style cases with low plastic base wad.
Attachments
Remington (Reifenhauser Case with Low Plastic Basewad) .jpg
Remington (Reifenhaser style case).jpg
MK10
hunter

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:50 pm

MK10 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I have a few Nitro 27 hulls(gold)(100) and a trash bag full of ShurShot hulls. The question is, using a steel shot load recipes can I substitute the ShurShot for the Nitro 27? The ShurShot hulls are marked Heavy Dove Load. and are green., with low brass.

George

All the current ShurShot (lead and steel shot) loads we're seeing here are loaded by B&P and wear a Cheddite (Reifenhauser style/Parallel sided) hull. The earlier (over 2-3 years ago) ShurShot steel and lead shot loads incorporated a Gordon Case system.

You can confirm weather your hulls are a European (i.e. Cheddite) or tapered type by simply looking in them and seeing if they incorporate a low plastic basewad or a tapered profile.

Here are a couple of examples of the European loaded ammunition and Reifenhauser style cases with low plastic base wad.

[b]Thanks for the pictures, now I know what to look for. A lot of hunters use the Shurshot heavy dove loads and I can collect 100's of them during dove season. So the STS hulls(Gordon Type) are the same as the Shurshot., and can use STS recipes. [/b

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby MK10 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:49 pm

No! The Remington STS is completely different to both the Cheddite and Gordon Case System. All three require different recipes. I've attached an image of some early Remington ShurShot loads which incorporated the Gordon Case System.

As far as I know, you can pretty much use the same recipe in the Remington STS, Nitro 27 or Gun Club Unibody hulls. Unless, the hull has the low plastic bases wad (refer previous images) or gordon case system, I would assume it to be the same as the three Remington products types I listed i.e. Remington Unibody hulls.
Attachments
Remington (Gordon Case System).jpg
MK10
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=175074

Scroll down a bit and there's a photo of a couple STS hulls. Cut one of your surshots if you're not sure. But I bet it's not a ched or other euro hull if you're getting them in the US. Remember, MK10 is (through no fault of his own) on the other side of the globe, and Remmy very well could use other hulls in other markets.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

Friend of mine got some Estates from J&S ammo in Calif and they were cheddite hulls and were made in................
France.

Never know who is making ammo these days with the shortage.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
MK10 wrote:

George

[b]Thanks for the pictures, now I know what to look for. A lot of hunters use the Shurshot heavy dove loads and I can collect 100's of them during dove season. So the STS hulls(Gordon Type) are the same as the Shurshot., and can use STS recipes. [/b

Again, those WILL be tapered wall hulls. They'll be green, low brass, and may be 6 or 8 point, but unless something has changed since September (which is always possible, but unlikely), they'll be tapered and manufactured right here in Lonoke, Arkansas.
cannon
hunter

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks Cannon,

I cut one open and it appears to be the same as the Nitro. Now if I could get a recipe using Win.540/HS6 or SR7625 powder I would be in hog heaven. I also have bokoo of Fed paper base shells.

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:42 am

Lightning Steel recipes from Precision Reloading have 7/8 and 1 oz load for the paper based wad in the Fed plastic hull. They work great. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:00 pm

X2 on the paper base federals (top gun).

I save sts/top gun hulls for 1 3/8 oz lead pheasant loads.
Just say no to internet scouting.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes