TSS #4 shot is pretty impressive!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

TSS #4 shot is pretty impressive!

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:11 am

Yesterday I shot the 4th coyote that I have killed using a 12 ga 3" Fiocchi hull 1-1/2 oz reload. On one of the first 3 coyotes I used the TSS #4 shot on was 48 big steps away.

Yesterday's coyote was coming in to my Foxpro e-caller from the down wind side so I knew he was going to smell my caller and caller bag or get my wind. When the coyote stopped and stuck his nose in tha air, I raised up my shotgun and shot at the coyote.

The coyote fell stone dead and didn't even wiggle. It was pretty impressive to see the pattern of #4 TSS shot hit the hill side 15 to 20 yards past the coyote on the slope of the ridge. It looked like the pattern was centered right on the front half of the coyote.

I stepped off the distance from where I was sitting to the dead coyote and it was 68 big steps. It was really impressive to see how hard that pattern hit the ground at around 80 yards away.

This is a picture of the dead coyote. That little bit of uphill slope just on the other side of the coyote is where I saw the the TSS #4 shot pattern hit the ground.

Here is a close up picture of the coyote.

I have to use lead free shot on coyotes in the area I live and hunt in. I have a bunch of Rem HD BB and Federal Heavyweight #2 shot 3" 1-1/2 oz re-loads that work great on coyotes. But I just wanted to reload some TSS #4 shot to see how they did, I was very impressed by what I saw.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Re: TSS #4 shot is pretty impressive!

Postby TexasGeese » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Its great stuff. My only gripe for waterfowl is with how tight it patterns. You really have to be on your game with larger Tss and waterfowl where as hevi seems more forgiving. Just my experience.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby stacker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Where do you get it from if you don't mind me asking. I want to load some but have no idea where to find it.
stacker
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Derby, that looks like a fun hunt.

Texasgeese, I use an x-spreader to open up TSS waterfowl loads that are too tight.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby hawglips » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:12 am

Good job on them yotes!

Last spring, a buddy of mine reported of a killed yote (while turkey hunting) with a load of TSS 6x8s, at 91 lasered yds. He was not expecting to hurt him very badly with the first shot and was prepared to pump more into him. But the coyote went down and never got back up with the first shot.

I shot one at 42 steps once, broadside, with 9x8s. The yote turned around 3 times nipping at its side, then fell over right there. I approached and found no evidence of entry or exit wounds, but the yote was bleeding out of both it's nostril and rectum.
hawglips
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 am

stacker wrote:Where do you get it from if you don't mind me asking. I want to load some but have no idea where to find it.

There's our man for TSS, Hal (Hawglips)
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:13 am

During one of the first field tests of TSS, the inventor (Kyle) was asked by our guide to swat a crippled snow goose on the water. We estimated the bird was 100 yards away. He screwed in a turkey choke, loaded up a 1-1/4oz load of #5, took careful aim, and missed about 3 feet low and to the right. The pattern was still tight & coherent. Took two more shots to get the elevation and windage right. The last shot covered up the bird, and it immediately started to swoon and died within about 10 seconds. I lasered the distance to the dead bird at 131 yards! :eek:
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:40 am

What really surprised me was seeing the TSS #4 shot pattern hit the ground so hard at the 75 to 90 yard range!

I was using a Carlson's extended modified choke and that pattern looked good to me.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes