Looking 28 gauge steel loads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Re: Looking 28 gauge steel loads

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Mon May 02, 2016 4:39 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
LAT88 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:26 grains of lilgun, 280 grains of steel 4 shot, tps wad, cheddite hull and primer. After 2 years and 4 or 500 dead ducks that is the load I've settled on for anything from teal to canvas backs out to 30 yards for over the decoys mix bagged shooting.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What's the velocity & pressure for this load?

Haven't had it pressure tested but there 1450 fps over the chronograph. It's a really sweet little load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The load I use (#120213-3687)is from Advantages -6th Edition, page 305. It is similar to the Hammer load but it uses 27gr of Lil' Gun and 273grs of shot. Shows a pressure of 10,200psi and a velocity of 1465fps. I've shot and patterned this with 4's out to 30yds, and it's great. I only use it for the first shot, or under 30yds. Follow-up shots are with HW-13 #6's.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby LAT88 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:01 am

It looks like a good load. I plan on using it later on in the year. Too bad I won't be around for early teal.
LAT88
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 pm

I bought some Winchester steel loads (#4s) and was concerned about the pattern density so when I loaded my own I went to #5s. The density improved and they dump pigeons just fine out to 30 yards and I can hit clays pretty consistently with them. I have not had a chance to use my steel loads on ducks yet but I know they should work fine for teal within 30 yards and I may have to keep to 25 yards on larger ducks. I don't recall the exact load but the recovered TPS wads look good with no blow throughs or pinholes.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby LAT88 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:22 pm

That's good. I bought the gun just as a dove/ upland gun do I never looked at nontox options. I wasn't expecting to find a load as good as the one previously posted. I remember seeing a few before I left, but nothing over 1250fps, and nothing I would feel comfortable shooting ducks with. I usually shoot buffleheads & teal over decoys in the marsh, and woodies and greenheads back home with 1oz No.5 @ around 1350 and havnt had a problem yet. I'm tempted to take the 28 to the duck blind now.
LAT88
hunter

Postby muleequine » Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 pm

Toasty wrote:
Fiocchi and Cheddite 28ga hulls are very similar. The basewad and volume is so close, I couldn't tell a difference when filling them with water volume. The BPI lilgun data that has the same load for both hulls will usually be .5-1 grain less in the fiocchi. If you wanted to use them, drop 1 grain and go for it.

Is this with a Ched primer in either the Fiocchi or Cheddite and not each with their respective primer, ie ched hull with ched 209 vs fiocchi hull with fio 616?
muleequine
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 pm

muleequine wrote:
Toasty wrote:
Fiocchi and Cheddite 28ga hulls are very similar. The basewad and volume is so close, I couldn't tell a difference when filling them with water volume. The BPI lilgun data that has the same load for both hulls will usually be .5-1 grain less in the fiocchi. If you wanted to use them, drop 1 grain and go for it.

Is this with a Ched primer in either the Fiocchi or Cheddite and not each with their respective primer, ie ched hull with ched 209 vs fiocchi hull with fio 616?

With whatever primer the recipe uses, don't switch both hulls AND primers and still expect to be close. We are relying on the fact cheddite and fiocchi hulls are almost identical, nothing to do with primers whatsoever. So, you have a recipe for cheddite hull, ch209 primer... then a fiocchi hull with ch209 primer should be very close. If you want to use a fio616 primer, then find a recipe for that instead, and consider switching hulls if needed and they are the same volume.
Dave in AZ
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes