20ga TSS Duplex Hunts

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

20ga TSS Duplex Hunts

Postby Toasty » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 pm

As many know, I have been loading and shooting a 28ga TSS Steel duplex load for the last couple years. The load has been extremely effective. A month ago, I wanted to see how it would do in the 20ga for the end of season hunts when birds can be pretty tough. My reference load is from Hawglips if you want it, but I made a couple modifications. I have not pressure tested the load, so I will not be listing the powder charge until it is pressure tested.

Cheddite 20ga 2 3/4" Hull
CH209 Primer
Lilgun
CSD020 (the slit PR version)
110gr TSS #9 Under Steel
330gr Steel #3
Velocity 1295 fps at 20 F, I think it will be around 1350 fps at 70 F, but will have to wait a couple months to test.
Carlson .621" extended choke

First hunt was jump shooting where shots can be from 10 yards to 50 yards. First jump 2 ducks with 3 shots at about 25 yards, second jump, the birds had moved and it was long jump but hit 3 for 3 on greenheads at 45 yards, one duck needed a second cleanup shot. 3rd Jump was a double on greenheads with 2 shot at about 10-15 yards. 7 ducks for 9 shots, probably my best shooting this season. What was amazing was that the load worked just as well at 10 yards as it did 45 yards. This load also required fewer finishing shots than the 28ga load, probably due to switching to #3 shot vs #4 shot and the increased # of pellets from TSS #8.5 to #9.

Second hunt was an ice decoy hunt with a buddy. Both of us shot 20ga duplex loads. These are very weary birds in large flocks that will circle out of range 3 or 4 times to finally get into range. A single bird will occasionally come right in and you get them feet down. 14 birds took 34 shells. 4 of the 14 were in the blocks at around 20 yards, each of these were 1 shot kills. The other 10 birds ranged from long to "why did we just call that shot?" Started out pretty tough, but by the end of the hunt we were taking better shots and dropped a bird for every 2 shots. My buddy hasn't hunted much and was his first time hunting with a 20ga, took him some time to get use to the change in swing from his 12ga. Only 1 of the birds required a finish shot. I tried the steel hevi shot duplex loads from RSI in the 12ga and didn't have much luck, but these are the real deal. The key is a very open choke so the steel shot spreads fast and covers the close birds. The TSS does not spread out and give adequate pellet count and penetration for longer shots.

Toasty
hunter

Re: 20ga TSS Duplex Hunts

Postby Heavy Hitter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Love the late season green, looks like a couple good hunts!
Heavy Hitter
hunter

Postby Ohio_Waterfowler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Just getting into the TSS , looking for a goose load in 20ga. for my girl friend to shoot as steel in 20ga. is very lacking in performance for our large geese. I ordered #7 tss from hawglips this week. should have got some 9's to duplex for her for duck loads . any help from you guys already shooting tss or tss/steel duplex loads would be greatly appreciated.
FFL Dealer
Life Member NAHC
Life Member NRA
Not so new member old aka before moving to KY was Ohio Wildfowler ( used to be a moderator on a couple forums)
Ohio_Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Great report, thanks toasty!
The mix that I've come up with to send in for testing is basing mine on a 1oz #3 steel @1485fps load (dla) in a 3" cheddite, then going 75gr #9.5tss and 360gr #2 steel for total pellets of 176.
I'm surprised you could fit 440gr of TSS&steel into a 2.75" hull, although I didn't try it... with no good 400gr loads for steel alone reaching 1400fps or more, I didn't think it would be a good vehicle to test with until I had one, but I was kind of using less TSS so relying on the steel to continue killing to further ranges thus the higher speed need.

I'll rethink that a bit with your results in mind, and please let me know if you think I can do a better test that would add more data to the body you've got, something more in series.

PM to you Ohio, also.
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby Toasty » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Dave in AZ wrote:I'm surprised you could fit 440gr of TSS&steel into a 2.75" hull,

It fits because the lilgun takes up less space than the Asteel. That 110gr of TSS takes up so little space, it is basically a 3/4oz of steel (common for 2 3/4" 20ga) with the equivalent of a 1/8" spacer of TSS. Hawglips data is 110gr TSS + 274gr of steel, but in a fed hull which has a significantly less volume than the cheddite. I would guess with steel #2s, you would only get about 320gr of steel to fit.

Your load looks good, pellets are more evenly matched for penetration, I think it will be an even better long range load.
Toasty
hunter

Postby ImBillT » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:17 am

I would love to get some shot columns on high speed camera. With a duplex, I always figured that the pellets on top were larger because they wouldn't settle into the pellets underneath during setback causing one row of shot to have more outward spring than the rest, and because during flight the smaller pellets would never catch up to the larger pellets and collide. Now it's entirely possible that neither effect would impact a pattern all, but that's what I've thought about. With TSS however, would the small pellets not catch up to the large ones, and would collisions not be more meaningful? Again, it may not impact a pattern at all even if it happens, but I would love to see some shot columns one high speed camera as the TSS passes the steel, and then at the same distance from the muzzle but with the TSS on top. Of course TSS on top poses another problem, it would filter into the steel during setback, and possibly even embed. Who knows? Not me. These duplex TSS loads seem to work very well.
ImBillT
hunter

Postby ImBillT » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:21 am

Toasty wrote:
Dave in AZ wrote:I'm surprised you could fit 440gr of TSS&steel into a 2.75" hull,

It fits because the lilgun takes up less space than the Asteel. That 110gr of TSS takes up so little space, it is basically a 3/4oz of steel (common for 2 3/4" 20ga) with the equivalent of a 1/8" spacer of TSS. Hawglips data is 110gr TSS + 274gr of steel, but in a fed hull which has a significantly less volume than the cheddite. I would guess with steel #2s, you would only get about 320gr of steel to fit.

Your load looks good, pellets are more evenly matched for penetration, I think it will be an even better long range load.

With 3/4oz of steel 2s, how many oz of TSS would it take to match the total pellet count? The purpose of the duplex load is keep pellet count high without using as much TSS, but when you use a small payload of steel and then use a large pellet size, then you're not saving much TSS. I guess 320gr of 2s is still 93 pellets. That's not insignificant.
ImBillT
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:10 pm

thanks for posting up field testing on duplex steel and tss shot, this is very interesting and would bring cost down alot!!!

1300 fps is plenty fast for close work with 3 steel shot, plus is pushing tss right along forvlong range!!

what choke constriction?

Goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes