Duck Hunting Forum banner

Boss Shotshells Bismuth

28K views 96 replies 30 participants last post by  BBK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Has anybody gotten around to trying them since it was last discussed??

They have a #4 Bismuth 12 gauge 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz at 1350 fps that is EXACTLY what I am reloading and it's only $.04 a shell more than I am paying FOR JUST THE SHOT!!!

That being said the reload I am doing from the Lyman 5th is smoking nice on paper so I was wanting to know if there were any actual reports on these guys' load.

#2 ·
I looked at them, and like you I thought their load choices were almost exactly what I would do. Except their go a bit faster than I'd go. But still, MUCH better payload choices than the Kent and Rio options I think. And good prices. But do notice it's for a box of 20, not 25, so it's a good price but not as good as you might calc if you don't notice that.

anyways, they are who I'd buy bismuth shells from if I did purchase... they had free shipping for like 100$ purchase or something before Xmas. But I ended up deciding I had all this bismuth shot myself, I'd just load it up.

#3 ·
Yea, I caught the 20 shell thing. I divided the case price by 200 with free shipping.

Like you, I still have 20# of the Rotometals Bismuth. I also enjoy shooting what I load myself but I think when my supply is gone I will try these out if prices don't go up after they get established.

I'd still like to get some field reviews on them if anyone tries them out.

#6 ·
AvianAddict said:
I've been interested in the 20 gauge 1 1/4 of 4s but it's only 1200. Is that sufficient enough velocity? The 1oz Kent is 1400.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES, 1200 is better IMO than 1400. Remember, almost all lead hunting loads are 1200, with just a few up around 1300. For lead, anything above 1300 risks shot deformation and thus bad flyer patterns. For bismuth, it depends on the tin admixture, but from what I've read it's around 1400 where you get deformation. For myself, I look for bismuth recipes going 1200-1300 fps and I'd like buffer in them. I haven't yet patterned my own in the 1300-1400 area, so it's all based on reading and seeing other's patterns. However, I think there is enough of a body of knowledge on bismuth to draw these conclusions.

With the 4's, the difference in 1.5" gel penetration range (32F, 1000'msl) is 46.2 yds to 52.8 yds. However, with a 7lb gun that load is also 29.5 ft lbs vs. 38.8 ft lbs-- that's more than a 30% increase in recoil. I think the 1200 fps ranges are plenty, and like the lower recoil, and in all liklihood the much better patterns expected at 1200 fps.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
AvianAddict said:
Thanks Dave!

I shot this today out of my A5 under less than ideal conditions. (rain)

I dang near missed the target trying not to melt. haha

It was 1-1/4 oz #4 at 1320 guesstimated. The recipe in Lyman's said 1370 with 29.5 Longshot and I dropped out 1 grain.

I was thinking about dropping one more grain and trying it again. It sure thumped the oak tree I had the target against. I wish I had some way of testing penetration.

Bismuth #4 40 Yards Improved Modified.jpg

Attachments

#9 ·
duurmeehr said:
AvianAddict said:
Thanks Dave!

It was 1-1/4 oz #4 at 1320 guesstimated. The recipe in Lyman's said 1370 with 29.5 Longshot and I dropped out 1 grain.

I was thinking about dropping one more grain and trying it again. It sure thumped the oak tree I had the target against. I wish I had some way of testing penetration.

Nice pattern. I dropped that powder charge down .5 grains and get very similar patterns from my A5 3 1/2" but using Jeb"s .680 High Voltage choke at 45 yds. Is way to tight at 20 yds to be of much use with that combination but a switch to a Cremetor LR works fine and good patterns to 40 yds.

#10 ·
duurmeehr said:
AvianAddict said:
Thanks Dave!

Your doing pretty good it looks like to me.
Just a suggestion, keep the powder charge at 29 grains and do a primer switch to the Winchester 209 or Remington 209, you may get better results.

#11 ·
duurmeehr said:
Anybody got around to trying them since it was last discussed??

They have a #4 Bismuth 12 gauge 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz at 1350 fps that is EXACTLY what I am reloading and it's only $.04 a shell more than I am paying FOR JUST THE SHOT!!!

That being said the reload I am doing from the Lyman 5th is smoking nice on paper so I was wanting to know if there were any actual reports on these guys load.
I've shot boss 2 3/4 #5 shot 1350fps at canvasback and Canada geese and watched them fold. I was thinking about loading bismuth but after calculating the cost of shot per load it's not worth it. I also patterned this load out of my SBE 2 with a Carlson long range extended tube and it threw an awesome pattern at 30 yards. I'm sold. They ran a Black Friday sale but I missed it.

#12 ·
If you want to try to tighten that Bismuth up a little more for 60 yards.......
try adding some buffer to the wad.

In my 12 Ga. I got a 1 1/4oz payload of #2's to get 70% at 65 yards with a full choke.

At 1200fps you might get away with buffer, but you might get a little pellet flattening on setback.
Just have to see what your patterns look like.

#13 ·
Sagebrush said:
If you want to try to tighten that Bismuth up a little more for 60 yards.......
try adding some buffer to the wad.

In my 12 Ga. I got a 1 1/4oz payload of #2's to get 70% at 65 yards with a full choke.

At 1200fps you might get away with buffer, but you might get a little pellet flattening on setback.
Just have to see what your patterns look like.
WOW at 65 yds , what does a 70% pattern look like at 35 ?
I get about 175 pellets in my 1 1/4 oz Bismuth loads as I take out a few just to add Buffer . I haven't patterned it at longrange
but I do get 70% at 40 yds , it must stay together longer than that as 50 yd birds foldup like rags . I shoot these out of fixed
choked Mod 12's and 870's , real Duck guns ! :yes:

#14 ·
Baher20018 said:
duurmeehr said:

That being said the reload I am doing from the Lyman 5th is smoking nice on paper so I was wanting to know if there were any actual reports on these guys load.
I've shot boss 2 3/4 #5 shot 1350fps at canvasback and Canada geese and watched them fold. I was thinking about loading bismuth but after calculating the cost of shot per load it's not worth it. I also patterned this load out of my SBE 2 with a Carlson long range extended tube and it threw an awesome pattern at 30 yards. I'm sold. They ran a Black Friday sale but I missed it.
Which Carlson's? Super Steel (I have the 3 tube set, CR, MR and LR)? Boss indicates their shells like tight constriction. I want to go with an over/under next year, IM bottom and Full top is what I am leaning towards.

#15 ·
Planner said:
Baher20018 said:
duurmeehr said:

Which Carlson's? Super Steel (I have the 3 tube set, CR, MR and LR)? Boss indicates their shells like tight constriction. I want to go with an over/under next year, IM bottom and Full top is what I am leaning towards.
It was the Carlson "long range" from the waterfowl 3 pack.

#16 ·
Baher20018 said:
Planner said:
Baher20018 said:
duurmeehr said:

It was the Carlson "long range" from the waterfowl 3 pack.
Long range extended tube from Carlson is full constriction ....I favorite 12 gauge cremator long range....after steps in tube ends up at improved mod constriction.

Big news on boss bismuth they now are using copper coated bismuth!! Big difference from reg bismuth .patterns are like to better then buffered bismuth loads.

Good shooting

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
66012032_10158799106204698_8941609786961559552_o.jpg
We were fortunate enough to have some hunters come up to Alaska and hunt with us for eiders last fall and winter , And from my 1st hand experience the Boss is a great round at a great value, I am ordering 2 cases for myself for this season and encouraging people to pattern there guns with it vs there old shot, And you will be sold. Here is some latest ballistic test results pretty amazing with the new Copper plated Bismuth. Make your own test , As I have and it is great stuff. These pics were off a recent post on the Boss SHotshells fan page from the owner Brandon.

Attachments

#18 ·
this is the 40 yard gel test 20 percent gel per conversation with owner of boss bismuth .....off same post from facebook.

30 yards is good test but forty yards shows more what the non coated and coated bismuth can do!!!

goose

Attachments

#20 ·
AvianAddict said:
What size shot?

1350 fps 5 bismuth shot copper and non coated ….same load powder wad hull primer just shot swap(same load as the 30 yard gel test). the noncoated is boss bismuth just from last years loads shot is made in house quality is very good because of that aspect. gel tests for 40 yards goes with the 30 yard gel test that was posted above, the load and shot type is included in the above post with 30 yard gel info. this was all posted as one post on facebook by the owner of boss bismuth co.

here is pod cast that was asking boss bismuth company questions:

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/e/7/1e77fd ... d5341b6a45

#22 ·
goosepit2007 said:
AvianAddict said:
What size shot?

1350 fps 5 bismuth shot copper and non coated ….same load powder wad hull primer just shot swap(same load as the 30 yard gel test). the noncoated is boss bismuth just from last years loads shot is made in house quality is very good because of that aspect. gel tests for 40 yards goes with the 30 yard gel test that was posted above, the load and shot type is included in the above post with 30 yard gel info. this was all posted as one post on facebook by the owner of boss bismuth co.

Did he ever get it approved by USFWS or is he going on the assumption they won't care about the copper plating.

#23 ·
BT Justice said:
goosepit2007 said:
AvianAddict said:
What size shot?

Did he ever get it approved by USFWS or is he going on the assumption they won't care about the copper plating.
https://www.fws.gov/birds/bird-enthusia ... ntoxic.php

On link look at bottom after shot types * says coated of copper ECT is ok

Goose

#24 ·
goosepit2007 said:
BT Justice said:
goosepit2007 said:
AvianAddict said:
What size shot?

Goose
Not that it matters to me cause I load my own, but if it were me I'd call USFWS and get their official OKee Dokee on what he's doing, he's got a lot of money invested there and I'd make sure of it. Maybe he's got better luck than I do but for me Murphy Law always seems to kick in at the wrong time.

#25 ·
Bought 4 boxes 20ga. 1 1/8 oz of #5 copper plate bismuth to try. They throw a good 40yd pattern thru a Jeb's .580 choke. I get 150 hits in a 30 in. circle @ 40 yds. However all I could find was the base of the wad. All the pedals were burned/ torn off. Every round I shot was the same thing. I would find a pedal here and there in the grass. Also shot a Jeb's .590 and a Patternmaster and all the wad pedals were torn off... I 'm going to talk to them about this. Is this safe?

#26 ·
goosepit2007 said:
BT Justice said:
goosepit2007 said:
AvianAddict said:
What size shot?

Goose
You might want to read this from the federal register about copper and other type coatings, I would not assume anything
https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... wl-hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.