Federal Upland Steel for Teal?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Re: Federal Upland Steel for Teal?

Postby BlackJack04 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm

BusterAZ wrote:I tried a box of #7 1/2 this morning for the dove opener and it did not work out too well. It can barely kill a horse fly! Switched back to the #6. The #7 1/2 only worked within 20 yards, so I don’t see it having much practical use in the field.

7 1/2 steel seems really light, wonder why they even made that size? I used the #6 upland steel load on doves today and it really folded them up good.
BlackJack04
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:48 pm

I reload so for dove, teal and decoy work I load #5 Steel pellets in a fast 1 oz. loading
that will reach out 45 yards, if needed, even for mallards.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 am

BlackJack04 wrote:
BusterAZ wrote:I tried a box of #7 1/2 this morning for the dove opener and it did not work out too well. It can barely kill a horse fly! Switched back to the #6. The #7 1/2 only worked within 20 yards, so I don’t see it having much practical use in the field.

7 1/2 steel seems really light, wonder why they even made that size? I used the #6 upland steel load on doves today and it really folded them up good.

I did manage to shoot a limit of dove with the 7.5 steel later in the September Season, but I had to decoy the birds close and be selective with my shots. Surprisingly, it killed them out to about 25 yards. That being said, I won’t be buying it again and also prefer the 6 shot.
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 am

I also use steel 6's for dove, but dove are much smaller and much more fragile than teal.
I might use steel 5's for teal if I was out of ammo and had to borrow some of those, but my shot size of choice for teal has always been 4's. Plenty of penetration, plenty of pattern density, easy to find/buy. I've never had a situation, using 4's on teal, where I said "Man, I wish that shell had smaller shot in it."
I've killed plenty of teal with 3's when the big duck season is underway. :thumbsup:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby ImBillT » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:36 pm

I know this isn’t a recent post, but I couldn’t get steel 6’s to work on dove. I bought quite a bit of the Federal Upland Steel and was incredibly disappointed. STS 8’s was MUCH deadlier for me.

I use 2’s on geese and cranes(even at long ranges) a lot, but geese and cranes have long necks.
ImBillT
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes