Looking to make a few bismuth rounds for 12 and 10

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Looking to make a few bismuth rounds for 12 and 10

Postby Dr Swane » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 am

[album]I have components (ITX10, bismuth, steel, HW15) for non-toxic reloading and follow data from the Lymans Manuals. I have some federal GMG’s I’d like to use for a 1 oz or possibly 1.125 oz bismuth reload to put through an old side by side. Lower pressure and velocity around 1325 is where I’m thinking. I reload the GMG’s and other Winchester and rem target loads, I have lead wads from 7/8-1.25 oz, and BPI’s MG42 wads as well. Does anyone have a load they’d like to share in 1 oz bismuth 12 gauge, or possibly 1.125 oz? I’ll be testing a few tomorrow through the pump gun and semi auto. Again, with the side by side, I’d like lower pressure, and I’m not concerned about it cycling.

Additionally, I have about 100 federal hw15 10 gauge turkey load components laying around and would like to make up a reliable 10gauge bismuth load (thinking 1.5 -1.625 oz) in bismuth 3’s. Powder options currently are Steel, and Longshot. I’ll be testing these loads in a single shot 10 gauge fixed mod choke. If the pattern and chrono look good with that, I’d like to move to a Browning gold (so eventually, cycling may be a consideration) with a variety of choke options.

Thanks

-Doug
Attachments
1C386EA8-C1D0-47AE-A2F2-5176881DC354.jpeg
Federal Black Cloud 2’s 45 yards
Dr Swane
hunter

Re: Looking to make a few bismuth rounds for 12 and 10

Postby C M Wings » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm

So not to poo poo a cool initiative I think you’re just wasting shot using 3s in a ten. There is no benefit. The 10 shines with big pellets. Your 3s will perform just fine in the 12 and you’ll get more shells. If you’re loading for turkey then stick with HW anyway and not bismuth.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Dr Swane » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 pm

C M Wings wrote:So not to poo poo a cool initiative I think you’re just wasting shot using 3s in a ten. There is no benefit. The 10 shines with big pellets. Your 3s will perform just fine in the 12 and you’ll get more shells. If you’re loading for turkey then stick with HW anyway and not bismuth.

After some feedback, I’ve moved onto some steel 2’s for testing purposes. I followed 3 listed recipes and scaled back the powder charge by 1.5-2gfains for 4 loads over the chrono today. All were over pressure and way over suggested velocity. The highway reading was 1970fps using Longshot, and most others stayed around 1800-1880fps.

I’ll continue to scale back the powder charge and use steel 2’s.

I’d still like to find a reliable bismuth load as well so I can have options going forward (It’s been suggested to move away from bismuth, however the Lyman 5th manual, and the older RST shells have me intrigued to find something that looks good on paper and over the chrono.).

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Doug
Dr Swane
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 am

Hey Doug
Contact Tom Roster at 541 884 2974 for his Bismuth reloading manual , it'll save you a lot of time !
He's very open to questions like yours ,Great to talk to !

Larry
3200 man
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 am

For steel loads using #2 shot, use steel powder. If you really are set on using the 10 with small shot then I suggest loading some 2 7/8 inch shells with a roll crimp. I have done this and they perform great, and cycle just fine out of my SP10. If I fold crimp then they do not cycle well as they end up being to short for the action and tend to jam.

Here is my load - it is fast and deadly but be advised it is max pressure and there isn't much you can do to lower the pressure and still get the velocity you need to effectively kill with small steel pellets (my opinion). As soon as you cut down those 10 gauge components wow does pressure go up with that reduced volume.

shell.jpg
shell.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Federal Hull cut to 2-7/8
F-209 primer
TPS wad cut to fit
36 gns of STEEL powder
1-1/4 ounces of your choice steel shot
20-ga 1/8 felt spacer under the shot (or whatever it takes to leave just enough hull for a roll crimp. I use plastic beads on top of the shot instead of the felt spacer more often than not)
Overshot card or plastic overshot disc or both (I use both and write what's in the hull on the cardboard overshot card).
1/16 inch roll crimp.

11K psi @ 1600 fps.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Dr Swane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks for All the feedback. I’m going to picking up some 1’s.

This is all great information going forward. I will be buying more 10gauge federal turkey loads and repurposing the shot for sub gauge (I have some pretty good load data I’ve been working on if anyone is interested). I like the idea that I can put to use the rest of the Hulls as well.

I think I’ll stick to a few more 40-42 grain a-steel loads and see what the chrono and pattern look to be. It’ll keep everything more consistent as well

Thanks again
-doug
Dr Swane
hunter

Postby Dr Swane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Thanks for All the feedback. I’m going to picking up some 1’s.

This is all great information going forward. I will be buying more 10gauge federal turkey loads and repurposing the shot for sub gauge (I have some pretty good load data I’ve been working on if anyone is interested). I like the idea that I can put to use the rest of the Hulls as well.

I think I’ll stick to a few more 40-42 grain a-steel loads and see what the chrono and pattern look to be. It’ll keep everything more consistent as well

Thanks again
-doug
Attachments
966B0016-CC73-48BE-85E8-C25AB58BD45D.jpeg
3’s from a while back at 45 yards. Maybe put to use on the close working geese. Fixed mod choke, terrible circle measurement....
Dr Swane
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes