Remington Nitro Steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Remington Nitro Steel

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:31 pm

just picked up a flat from rogers. usually shoot fed red box but the price on these was too good to pass up. any of you all shoot em? will be putting them through a SN with a patternmaster tube.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Re: Remington Nitro Steel

Postby 5 stand » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:54 pm

I've shot 4 flats of them, in the last 6 years. They perform just fine for me.
5 stand
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:04 pm

5 stand wrote:I've shot 4 flats of them, in the last 6 years. They perform just fine for me.
I'm surprised you could find something cheaper than the federal rebate.

was after federal in the red box but they were out of the shot size I wanted. did a little searching and came across these. I've shot Remington sportsman steel and had zero issues, but have yet to shoot nitros.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby 5 stand » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm

After posting that, I thought heck it ain't none of my business. So I edited it, but I did it too late.
I have also shot Remington sportsman steel for years. Remington did that nitro rebate a few years ago, so I tried them. No complaints here.
5 stand
hunter

Postby 5 stand » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Rogers didn't have the shot size I wanted either. They're supposed to notify me when they get some, we'll see.
I have plenty of steel on hand.
If I get below 5 flats I start to panic.
5 stand
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:28 am

Though not normally a 3" shooter I bought a couple cases of 20ga Nitro steel with too tempting rebates (that took forever) a few years ago and experienced just enough no-go primers to be really annoying. Even for someone who gets to hunt every day.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 am

I bought several flats of 20 ga probably 5-6 years ago. Rodgers had them deeply discounted plus rebate. I think I got them for under $100 case. Never had a problem with them, no FTFs and they pattern much better for me than Federals. I wish I could find some decent steel reloading data for them.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:49 pm

2.75" or 3"?
Both are great hulls!
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Really clean burning with very nice plated shot, good velocity. Patterns are ok due to a rather thin wad. They kill birds.
Banded Birds - Black Ducks - 6, Mallards 19 (3 Jack Miner) BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, 1 Ross and 1 snow Goose (Both reward bands) , Canada Geese - 15 (2 neck collars), Morning Dove - 1.
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:34 am

I've shot plenty of them over the years, no complaints. They used to make them in a much larger selection for all the gauges. A little slower than I prefer, but if the birds are in the wheel house they work well. The 10 gauge 3.5" T's they used to offer was the best 10 gauge factory load I ever encountered.
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:06 pm

I've shot probably 6 cases of Nitro Steel in the last thirty years. Had one failure-to-fire in that time. They are a solid load and if the price was right, you won't regret buying them.
They tend to get overlooked these days because they aren't a boutique load, not a gimmick load like Black Cloud or Blind Side, and not a high-density load. They also aren't as inexpensive as Remington's Sportsman or Federal Blue Box. But, they work.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 pm

mudpack wrote:I've shot probably 6 cases of Nitro Steel in the last thirty years. Had one failure-to-fire in that time. They are a solid load and if the price was right, you won't regret buying them.
They tend to get overlooked these days because they aren't a boutique load, not a gimmick load like Black Cloud or Blind Side, and not a high-density load. They also aren't as inexpensive as Remington's Sportsman or Federal Blue Box. But, they work.

Much love for Remington Nitro-Steel #3s in 3" 12 gauge.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 am

mudpack wrote: They are a solid load and if the price was right...

Gotta flat for $119. Couldn’t pass em up.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:32 pm

sprigs4days wrote:

Wow. That's an excellent price for Nitros. Mind if I ask where you got them??
mudpack
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 pm

mudpack wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:

Rogers. Was browsing their duck loads and came across em. Went back a couple weeks later and they put em up to $139.99. I smiled.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby BlackJack04 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:33 am

For anyone who is interested in purchasing some nitro steel, Remington just started a rebate of $3 a box.
BlackJack04
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:03 am

Perfect
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:48 pm

sprigs4days wrote:
mudpack wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:

Rogers. Was browsing their duck loads and came across em. Went back a couple weeks later and they put em up to $139.99. I smiled.

Thanks. I just checked Roger's again for duck loads and found Peters 1 1/4oz steel loads for $89.99 a case. Had to order two cases, even though I have enough on hand right now to last the rest of my life at the rate I've been using shells the last two seasons....

Before you ask; I've cut apart the Peters load and it is literally identical inside to the Remington Sportsman loads.....which are really good loads and a great value. Sportsman loads are getting increasingly hard to find, which makes these Peters loads a real godsend.
mudpack
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:34 pm

mudpack wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:
mudpack wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:

Thanks. I just checked Roger's again for duck loads and found Peters 1 1/4oz steel loads for $89.99 a case. Had to order two cases, even though I have enough on hand right now to last the rest of my life at the rate I've been using shells the last two seasons....

Before you ask; I've cut apart the Peters load and it is literally identical inside to the Remington Sportsman loads.....which are really good loads and a great value. Sportsman loads are getting increasingly hard to find, which makes these Peters loads a real godsend.

Years back sportsman’s were my favorite duck load. The Walmart here used to carry them, then as you mentioned they weren’t as plentiful as once. Every now and then I’d get lucky and find a box or two.
I too saw those peters and woulda pulled the trigger on a flat had I not come across those nitros. Normally shoot federals red box but it’s starting to seem like those are getting a little scarce as well.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 am

sprigs4days wrote:Years back sportsman’s were my favorite duck load. The Walmart here used to carry them, then as you mentioned they weren’t as plentiful as once. Every now and then I’d get lucky and find a box or two.
I too saw those peters and woulda pulled the trigger on a flat had I not come across those nitros. Normally shoot federals red box but it’s starting to seem like those are getting a little scarce as well.

I found the Nitros for $119.99 a case, but the only shot size they have is T. :crying:
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:23 pm

Hey guys afaik all Remington and Peters shells are made in the same plant in Lonoke, Ark. Nitros have better components.
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Had heard the Peters line is gradually replacing the Sportsman loads.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby Hat Flats » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm

My buddy and I have shot the 3" 1.25 oz #2's on and off since the 80's, back when California mandated Steel and they were 1375fps! just by happenstance we patterned them and were shocked how good the patterns were. So we adopted Steel with full confidence and never looked back. I had so many friends shooting everything but Remington and they hated steel, when Winchester bumped up the Supreme line to 1450fps they had to be better they were faster right? not! our bird per shell ratio dropped significantly so my buddy not being a fan boy went back to Nitro's and was smoking them again. Well the patterning board told the story Nitro's were that good. Fast forward to today and the Nitro's are still hammers (so were the red box federals). I'm smoking birds with them in ALaska like we did in Ca. in the 80's! Super reliable and great patterning.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes