Rob roberts choke/load

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Rob roberts choke/load

Postby Coyote03 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Any body using rob roberts chokes? Preferably in a benelli... what loads are you seeing your best results with? I emailed them and they suggested Black Cloud along with having them lengthen the forcing cone. I asked about other kinds they have success with but they were reluctant to give me any info other than the black cloud. I’m just hesitant to use black cloud due to poor results in the past...
Also, I don’t have any problems patterning my guns, and this particular gun has great patterns with a PM code black timber and Kent 3” 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coyote03
hunter

Re: Rob roberts choke/load

Postby number3shot » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 am

Have not felt the need to put on paper because of results on ducks.

SBE 2, T1 and T2
Winchester, Dryloc, 3 in., 1 3/8 oz. #3, 1300 fps.
number3shot
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:59 am

If you’re shooting great patterns why do you want to do anything to your barrel? All you are doing is losing the chrome lining inside. In theory I guess a lengthened forcing cone is supposed to reduce some recoil and maybe improve patterns a little bit. If you’re worried about shooting other size shot, start with a different choke. Number 3 Shot will kill any decoying bird large or small. Try some number 1s through that pattern master. I bet they throw more than a passable pattern.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Coyote03 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

C M Wings wrote:If you’re shooting great patterns why do you want to do anything to your barrel? All you are doing is losing the chrome lining inside. In theory I guess a lengthened forcing cone is supposed to reduce some recoil and maybe improve patterns a little bit. If you’re worried about shooting other size shot, start with a different choke. Number 3 Shot will kill any decoying bird large or small. Try some number 1s through that pattern master. I bet they throw more than a passable pattern.
I don’t want to go anything to my barrel. I was just asking for a starting point from them and that is all they would suggest. The patternmaster timber throws great patterns but I was just curious on the t2...

Coyote03
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am

Ah, got it. I read forcing cone then reread where it was there suggestion. There are a lot of good chokes out there, hope you find what you’re wanting.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Coyote03 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Debating on selling the t2. With the shells I have now, the pm patterned best. So if I have a gun/choke/load combo that works, why keep looking for something else.

Coyote03
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:20 pm

There been trials (test) that have proven lengthening a forcing cone does very little for Steel Shot shooting !
Pellet types of soft material like Bismuth or Lead has shown pattern improvement and deformation from set-back was
believed to be the cause . Lengthening the Forcing Cone "TAPER" helped reduce barrel scrub ! FWIW
3200 man
hunter

Postby number3shot » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Coyote03 wrote:Debating on selling the t2. With the shells I have now, the pm patterned best. So if I have a gun/choke/load combo that works, why keep looking for something else.

Let me know if you want to sell the T2. Have a friend who might be interested.
number3shot
hunter

Postby Coyote03 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:43 pm

3200 man wrote:There been trials (test) that have proven lengthening a forcing cone does very little for Steel Shot shooting !
Pellet types of soft material like Bismuth or Lead has shown pattern improvement and deformation from set-back was
believed to be the cause . Lengthening the Forcing Cone "TAPER" helped reduce barrel scrub ! FWIW
Yeah I really didn’t want to do the forcing cone. That was all the info they would give me. I was just asking for a starting point since the Kent’s I have weren’t patterning very well... They suggested the black cloud but that was it. No other options.

Coyote03
hunter

Postby Bpearl24 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:10 pm

I shot the t3 last year with black cloud and had great results on birds. Never actually patterned it on paper

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Bpearl24
hunter

Postby Coyote03 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Good to know. Like I said, I had poor results with black cloud years ago. Granted it was the old stuff, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth...

Coyote03
hunter

Postby Bpearl24 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:35 pm

Same here. I was using hevi metal and switched to new bc last year and was making some great shots. The 3.5 #2 were deadly on geese and late season ducks

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Bpearl24
hunter

Postby Coyote03 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Hey number3, I’ll probably be selling the choke if your buddy is interested.

Coyote03
hunter

Postby Dr Swane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 am

T3 with factory 2’s (B&P) and bismuth reloads 3, 4, 5’s all pattern very well. I use it in my a350/a400. I also recommend the Carlson Cremator Mid and Long Range, or the Briley X2 chokes (I like the LF in steel 2’s and bismuth, I have those for the a400 and Mobil Threads)
Dr Swane
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:54 am

I use the Mojo Outdoors choke which is made by Rob Roberts and was actually giver to me by Rob himself. I have the mid-range and the extended range choke.

With the mid-range i use Kent Fasteel 2 in #2 for ducks and ducks go down. For sandhill crane i use the Kent Bismuth in #4 and sandhills go down with a near earth shattering thud.

I did have my forcing cones lengthen by Roberts in my Benelli SBE II. It seems that the Italian gun makers are the last hold outs from building this feature into their guns. It does shoot smoother. The jolt is not as severe.

I hunt waterfowl primarily on the Texas coast. The Texas Coastal Bend, with its predominant SE wind, makes it one of the most salt-air corrosive places in the US and i have no problem with rust where the cone was lengthened.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli Super Nova, & a Canon 7D Mk II & a Canon 5D Mk IV

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes