Non Duck Related - Shotshell load for groundhogs

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Non Duck Related - Shotshell load for groundhogs

Postby Smith » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 am

I have a problem with groundhogs repeatedly damaging property in various ways. I shot a couple that came close to the house but now they all seem to stay 50 or 60 yards out in the yard during the day, and run for cover as soon as I come out of the house. Is there a shotgun load that will reliably kill a groundhog at that range? My shotgun (an 870) has a fixed full choke, so I'm reluctant to use giant steel pellets for fear of damaging the choke. It appears that nobody makes lead loads in big pellet sizes any more, other than buck shot, and I don't think buck shot has enough pellets for shooting at such a small target. One last thing: I don't want to use a rifle because my neighbors house is not too far off in that general direction.
Smith
hunter

Re: Non Duck Related - Shotshell load for groundhogs

Postby Paulinkansas » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:24 pm

I'd imagine e a #2 or #4 3" 1 7/8 oz load of lead would work. Or you could get a spring piston or nitrogen piston pellet gun in the 22-25 caliber range. I've killed crows and starlings at 50 yards with mine.
Paulinkansas
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:02 am

Having not shot a groundhog, I can only speculate, but I can't imagine they'd stand up to #4 lead if you hit them with it. That's where I'd start.
Actually, my dog takes obscene pleasure in dealing with ground dwelling rodents in her own way. So I guess I'd start with her, then move on to #4's.
By the way, I've used airgun bb's (really #B.5) in my mid 70's fixed full 870 without any issues. My gun, my choice of course, so take it for what it's worth.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:19 am

Live trap and a apple.Gets em every time.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby wildflights » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:33 pm

On something the size of a groundhog, I doubt your going to get much of a killing pattern out of large lead @ 50-60 yards. I have some 1-3/4 oz loads of Premium #2 lead. On paper they leave a lot to be desired at 40 yards. I think you'd be better served with some of those discount turkey loads from Rogers. Flite control wads and tungsten shot can extend effective ranges and be consistent at it.

For *hits and giggles... My post from this last weekend. http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vie ... 97#p208797
wildflights
hunter

Postby Smith » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks guys,
These non-mainstream loads are hard to find nowadays. I found a box of 3" 1 7/8 oz. lead 2's online. I guess we'll find out soon enough how they work for me.
Smith
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Rifles reach that far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:23 am

You must not be the neighbor.

Smith wrote: One last thing: I don't want to use a rifle because my neighbors house is not too far off in that general direction.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Lead 2's aren't exactly close range.How far are the neighbors?
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Smith » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:09 am

I don't know. I'm not very good at judging range beyond normal shotgun distances, but I wouldn't want to shoot a rifle anywhere near the house. I suppose a shotgun could reach the house, but wouldn't cause injury or damage. I have no intention of shooting anything directly toward it.
Smith
hunter

Postby wildflights » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:59 am

Let's see some patterns from your 870. It's been a long time since I've shot paper with a full choked 870 and lead 2's.
wildflights
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Paulinkansas wrote: you could get a spring piston or nitrogen piston pellet gun in the 22-25 caliber range. I've killed crows and starlings at 50 yards with mine.

Probably be my first choice. Even a .177 pellet would kill them; not instantly, but eventually. Now, if you''re good enough to make a head shot, the spring piston would be lights-out for them.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes