Steel shot size

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Re: Steel shot size

Postby steelshotshooter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:02 am

C M Wings wrote:
steelshotshooter wrote:I shoot "T" steel for any and all geese.

All of my goose hunting is pass shooting, and with loads @ 1,650 fps. and shots out to 60 yards, we have yet to recover a single ateel pellet from any goose.

Second favorite size pellet for geese is BBB. Same 7/8 oz. load as the "T" steel, with either load shooting 100% patterns at 40 and 50 yards.

I do not go hunt geese with LS loads - I use 1.5 ounces of T in a recipe from the late great BT Justice in a 10 bore. But when I'm duck hunting and geese come in to the decoy spread - typically 25-30 yards - I know my 1 ounce LS load of 3's can do the job.

What are "LS loads"?

I shoot a 10 ga. as well, but have never found it to be an advantage over the 12 ga..
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am

LS = Lightning Steel. A manual from Precision Reloading full of 7/8 and 1 oz loads for 2.75" 12 ga using B&P wads.

In my opinion, 10 ga advantage No. 1 is reduced recoil with heavy loads. Advantage No. 2 is heavy loads (more shot = deader birds, obviously)
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:11 pm

I am well aware of the 10 gauge's performance, and have made some impressive kills with it.

I looked at the LS loads a couple of years ago, but since it uses STEEL powder and find it to be too bulky for my favorite loads, I can get my preferred velocity level of 1,650 fps. with other powders that are far less bulky and load much better with a better fit of chosen components.
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:18 am

Yeah there are other powders, but I like STEEL as it is more forgiving WRT pressure spikes and there is a LOT of reloading data available. Long Shot, Lil-Gun, Blue Dot and even Green Dot have their advantages, especially in sub-gauges.

To me the biggest advantage of the 10 bore is that I can shot it all day and not have a headache or loose fillings form 1.5 ounce, high velocity loads.

Another advantage is that it patterns large shot far better - and I like T's for geese.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 am

C M Wings wrote:Yeah there are other powders, but I like STEEL as it is more forgiving WRT pressure spikes and there is a LOT of reloading data available. Long Shot, Lil-Gun, Blue Dot and even Green Dot have their advantages, especially in sub-gauges.

To me the biggest advantage of the 10 bore is that I can shot it all day and not have a headache or loose fillings form 1.5 ounce, high velocity loads.

Another advantage is that it patterns large shot far better - and I like T's for geese.

:thumbsup: :hammer: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:32 am

Well there is the high $$$ super steel and "Nice" stuff but for just loading "Standard" steel pellets for geese.........

I prefer to load at least #2's for very close work for head shots at maximum speeds, or............

the other option is the biggest size pellet that my shot gun patterns well at a slower fps that does not "Blow" the pattern
at 60 - 65 yards with a Steel full choke.

Alliant steel works for me with BB steel pellets and Longshot works great with my large Bismuth loads, that I can shoot
in my old Browning A-5 humpback, 30" Full barrel.
"T's" are nice but can't be used in some areas in our state, so I don't load them.

I don't care what powders or pellets are used...............
just as long as I have a good pattern that kills, what I am after.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

T steel "stacks" perfectly in a 2 3/4" 12 ga. load, and at 1,650 fps. it may not produce perfect patterns, but it doesn't blow big holes in the pattern either, or at least not from what I am seeing, as I don't believe a 9-12 pound Greater Canada can slip through these patterns. Of course it's easy to shoot behind or too far in front of a bird, but if you hit it, you should definitely get several pellets somewhere between the head and body.

Yes, these patterns are on the "tight" side at 60 yards, but for pass shooting big geese out to that distance, they do very well, and I have yet to recover a T steel pellet from any goose shot with these loads out to a little over 60 yards.

Yeah I know, 48 pellets may not be many pellets in a 2 3/4" 12 ga. load, but when you connect with a big goose, it is most definitely a deadly load!

steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:04 pm

With this recipe from SSS I have tried this load on Park Geese pass-shooting . it does make holes in them big enough
to stick your finger in......! AWESOME :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Steelshooter..... can I ask the recipe? That looks impressive.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:55 pm

CW the one I loaded and used , use at your own risk !

2 3/4" Ched hull
Ched 209
34 grs of Longshot
CLBC w/2 slits
Mylar wrap
7/8 oz of T's.....stacked
OS Card
This load was given to me and suppositly tested at 1600 fps / 10900 psi

I ran this through a .032 choke tube in my BGH 3 1/2" and at 60 yds I got all the pellets inside a 35" circle ! :yes:
I shot 7 park geese with it , 5 were dead in the air with 3 body hits or less , the 2 others had broken wings and took
a second shot of #3's to the head , to finish them ! :hammer: :thumbsup:
They were of limited use on other waterfowl , IMHO !
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 am

Using steel 4's for geese is hoping for a head/neck connect. Those are pretty small targets compared to the body of a goose. This is even considering the increased pattern density with #4's.
While I have killed geese with #4 steel, they were anomalies and I'd no sooner use 4's on a goose hunt than I'd use BB's on a teal hunt.
( and, yes, I know teal have been killed with BB's.....)
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:31 pm

C M Wings,

here are the 2 loads that were used to shoot the patterns shown above. I use the Blue Dot load for 32 degrees and warmer weather, and use the Herco load from freezing down to zero degrees.

HULL: Federal Gold Medal - 12 ga. - 2 3/4"

PRIMER: Federal 209A

POWDER: Blue Dot / 34.0 grains

WAD: CLBC with 2 full length slits

THIN MYLAR WRAP: fold wrap in half lengthwise and insert into wad, leaving the "fold" even with the top of the wad

SHOT: T steel - stacked - 48 pellets

OVERSHOT CARD

........................................................................................................................

POWDER: Herco / 26.0 grains

THIN MYLAR WRAP: fold wrap in half lengthwise and insert into wad, leaving the "fold" even with the top of the wad

OVERSHOT CARD

ALL wads are slit full length -

Guns used are Remington 870's with the following barrels and chokes:

Remington 28" factory barrel / 2" forcing cone / .689 extended choke tube

Hastings 34" Wadlock barrel / 2" forcing cone / .682 flush mounted choke tube

I normally don't give out loads for various reasons, but after the covid virus destroyed my heart and lungs last October, I'll be getting to join BT Justice sooner than expected, so I hope at least one or two of you guys will load and shoot a couple of birds with one or two of my favorite loads and post a picture of them over for me, since my time is rather limited.

Thanks guys,

David
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:10 pm

steelshotshooter wrote:C M Wings,

here are the 2 loads that were used to shoot the patterns shown above. I use the Blue Dot load for 32 degrees and warmer weather, and use the Herco load from freezing down to zero degrees.

POWDER: Blue Dot / 34.0 grains

OVERSHOT CARD

........................................................................................................................

POWDER: Herco / 26.0 grains

OVERSHOT CARD

ALL wads are slit full length -

Guns used are Remington 870's with the following barrels and chokes:

Remington 28" factory barrel / 2" forcing cone / .689 extended choke tube

Hastings 34" Wadlock barrel / 2" forcing cone / .682 flush mounted choke tube

I normally don't give out loads for various reasons, but after the covid virus destroyed my heart and lungs last October, I'll be getting to join BT Justice sooner than expected, so I hope at least one or two of you guys will load and shoot a couple of birds with one or two of my favorite loads and post a picture of them over for me, since my time is rather limited.

Thanks guys,

David

OMG Seriously!!??? David that's horrible! I'm so sorry to read this, my family has been lucky to date with no one affected. I hope you can recover - I do know one woman who was on a ventilator for 10 days back in May and it's taken her until now to really be better, but she is better.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Yes, seriously. I have been fighting this one year and two weeks, and there is nothing my Dr's. can do about it. My primary care doctor is a retired military man like me, and he breaks down in tears every time I have to go see him.

In my business, having customers in every state, including Alaska and Hawaii, to date I have had 380 customers pass away from this virus, plus 212 spouses from my many customers, not to mention more children that what I care to think about.

For those of you not affected, be thankful and greatful, and consider yourself Blessed!

I flatlined 3 different times when I was in the hospital, and only by the Grace of God, I was able to pull through.

My apologies for rambling on a duck hunting forum.

Take care guys, stay safe and keep your families safe.

David
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 am

Wow, sorry to hear that David. I really don't know what else to say. Thank you for the load data. I am going to try a few out.
jsh909
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:48 am

jsh909 wrote:Wow, sorry to hear that David. I really don't know what else to say. Thank you for the load data. I am going to try a few out.

Thank you jsh909, and you're welcome!

I hope you can kill a few birds with these loads, and post a picture of them.

David
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:49 am

steelshotshooter wrote:Yes, seriously. I have been fighting this one year and two weeks, and there is nothing my Dr's. can do about it. My primary care doctor is a retired military man like me, and he breaks down in tears every time I have to go see him.

In my business, having customers in every state, including Alaska and Hawaii, to date I have had 380 customers pass away from this virus, plus 212 spouses from my many customers, not to mention more children that what I care to think about.

For those of you not affected, be thankful and greatful, and consider yourself Blessed!

I flatlined 3 different times when I was in the hospital, and only by the Grace of God, I was able to pull through.

My apologies for rambling on a duck hunting forum.

Take care guys, stay safe and keep your families safe.

David

That is just horrible... So you had this MONTHS before it was even recognized as a global pandemic? The docs must have been completely caught off-guard... I hope it isn't as grave as it sounds - I really do and please accept my sincere best wishes and hope for you. Sorry, I'm not a religious man but if you want prayers I'll do that too.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:43 pm

I got it early October of last year, and out of the 15+ Doctors that I saw while I was in the hospital, absolutely no one could tell me what I had or what was going on! My wife and I both knew it was serious, when I was not allowed visitors, and all Doctors and nurses were required to put on a haz mat suit before coming into my room! Now that was scary!

It was late August before I finally got confirmation from my Cardiologist, Dr. and Pulmonologist that it was in fact the covid-19 virus!

Unless a miracle happens, I'll be lucky to make it to the first of the year, as both lungs and my heart are continually shrinking, which makes breathing more and more difficult every day.

I'm use to working in the shop 12+ hours a day, and now, if I can work for 30 minutes without collapsing and falling on my face, I'm done for the rest of the day.
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Damn the Chinese to hell.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:50 pm

John Singer wrote: Gene Hill's point, and mine is that there are much better choices for goose hunting than fine shot that is commonly used for ducks. BB shot is a much better choice for early season geese than #4 or #5 steel.
I too have killed many geese with duck loads. However, when targetting geese, large shot is better and will kill the birds at and beyond the ranges where #4 and #5 steel are effective.

This ^.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:34 am

steelshotshooter wrote:I got it early October of last year, and out of the 15+ Doctors that I saw while I was in the hospital, absolutely no one could tell me what I had or what was going on! My wife and I both knew it was serious, when I was not allowed visitors, and all Doctors and nurses were required to put on a haz mat suit before coming into my room! Now that was scary!

It was late August before I finally got confirmation from my Cardiologist, Dr. and Pulmonologist that it was in fact the covid-19 virus!

Unless a miracle happens, I'll be lucky to make it to the first of the year, as both lungs and my heart are continually shrinking, which makes breathing more and more difficult every day.

I'm use to working in the shop 12+ hours a day, and now, if I can work for 30 minutes without collapsing and falling on my face, I'm done for the rest of the day.

Dave - that's beyond words. I am 100% positive this virus was among us months before we ever knew what it was and you are tragically affected. I don't know you, but please know that doesn't matter and if I can help in any way just send me a PM.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Thank you Joe, I sincerely appreciate your kind offer!

David
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:51 pm

5 stand wrote:The subject was steel shot size.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

The point was to point out the inherent deficiencies of steel pellets and the alternatives (HTL) are light years ahead.

To put it in perspective, how many of you drive a truck or SUV with a 4-cylinder engine? Driving with a V8 but shooting steel on geese is disingenuous and contradictory in philosophy.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby Bpearl24 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:09 am

Please close this post. Thanks

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Bpearl24
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:35 am

I am responsible for this post going off topic, so please delete my posts and carry on.

My apologies to the original poster!
steelshotshooter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes