Federal Speed shok sea duck duplex loads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Federal Speed shok sea duck duplex loads

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 pm

Anyone try them yet? The local shop was having an anniversary sale this weekend. I picked up 2 cases, figured with a $40 rebate off each, $100 per case I can eat least finish off cripples if they suck. I got one case of the BB/#2 blend for divers and geese and the other case #4/#6 blend for puddlers. I would think at that price they may be a dirty shell with a lot of clicks over the course of a case and bad patterns.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Federal Speed shok sea duck duplex loads

Postby Tman91 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:25 pm

No real advantage to a BBx2 duplex load. Id rather shoot a load of straight #1
Tman91
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:54 pm

I suppose it depends on what the ratio of #BB's to #2's is and how they're stacked or mixed.
It's claimed, 20% bigger pellets on top of 80% smaller can create tighter patterns. Whereas putting the big shot on the bottom can spread the pattern out. I've never tried that, but I could imagine scenarios where either might be of use.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 am

Tman91 wrote:No real advantage to a BBx2 duplex load. Id rather shoot a load of straight #1

Shot 1’s for decades at sea ducks, ducks and geese. Find a shell that patterns well and they will rock!
Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Tman91 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:50 am

Jim Atlas wrote:I suppose it depends on what the ratio of #BB's to #2's is and how they're stacked or mixed.
It's claimed, 20% bigger pellets on top of 80% smaller can create tighter patterns. Whereas putting the big shot on the bottom can spread the pattern out. I've never tried that, but I could imagine scenarios where either might be of use.
The smaller pellets draft the bigger pellets creating a tighter pattern.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Tman91
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:19 am

Tman91 wrote:
Jim Atlas wrote:I suppose it depends on what the ratio of #BB's to #2's is and how they're stacked or mixed.
The smaller pellets draft the bigger pellets creating a tighter pattern.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Right, unless they're in front of the bigger ones, in which case they spread out. Like I said, that's what I've heard, but haven't ever tried.

To my mind the real duck/goose duplex would be something like 1.125 oz of #B's and .25 oz #4's. Ending big shot for a goose or big duck, and enough small shot to fill in the gaps for an small duck. Anyone tried such a thing?
Maybe 1 oz of B and 1/4 of 4 to avoid the long shell?
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 am

I have always wondered how duplex loads perform in regards to time to target. Outside of typical shot column length does one pellet size reach the target before the other? For example would a bird potentially fly through the sparce pattern of the larger pellets before the smaller ones get to it? Should we be viewing these loads as 2 independent patterns? Keep in mind that the patterns we see on paper are on a stationary target. In the field a flying bird may get hit by the lead pellets of that pattern but be out of that space by the time the tail end of the pattern gets there. If we shot patterns on a moving roll of papers chances are the patterns would string slightly vertically and be thinner. If say, the BB shot is there to give added energy at longer ranges is the pattern of bbs so sparce at that range that it's just luck if one hits ?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:30 pm

I dont have the chart in front of me: do you sell now the difference in time to target between a #Bb and a #2? Then we could determine how big the gap would be between the two. Then we cam ask how far a duck can fly in the time it would take for the gap to pass him.
I imagine--again, I dont have the number--that it would be pretty inconsequential.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:49 pm

Pick a steel round that does the job and stick with it. All these designer steel loads might work but the question is will they work any better than what’s been out there and proven for decades??
Shurshot
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:15 pm

So I cut one of the 4/6 duplex loads open yesterday and was pleased that the pellets weren't mishaped boogers. 6s were stacked behind the 4s. Hoping to have a couple chances on the opener this Saturday to try them out. Will report back on results. Going to save the bb/2s for late season geese and divers and sea duck
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:21 am

Very happy with the shells fellas
Attachments
IMG_20201010_090341087_HDR.jpg
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:43 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:Very happy with the shells fellas

Good shooting, what ranges would you approximate?
jsh909
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:55 pm

So was it the 2's or the 4's that did the killing?
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

^ Good questions, I’m curious too.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Jim Atlas wrote:So was it the 2's or the 4's that did the killing?

I think the answer is "yes" lol.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:24 pm

I was shooting the 4/6 duplex loads. Most shots were 25-35 yds but definitely connected on some in the 40-50 range on some back peddlers trying to get away.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Many of the 'value-priced' waterfowl loads are actually multiplex....they just don't tell you.
As an example, I recently inspected the Browning Wicked Wings load of #2 and here's what I found:

Wicked Wings $12.99
3" 1 1/4oz #2 ( .150" diameter)
Shot sizes vary from .142" to .180" diameter This means the shot size is #3 to BB size

You can read more at https://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/v ... 2#p9812392

Many of us are shooting loads containing three or four different sized shot....and don't even know it. Would love to see what sizes of shot are actually in some "duplex" loads...
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes