Switch to full site
Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.
Post a reply

Patternmaster vs kicks

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:41 pm

What do you prefer ?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Re: Patternmaster vs kicks

Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 am

In my Browning Silver, the patternmaster code black duck and the kicks full gave almost identical patterns with Kent Fasteel 3” #3s. But when I switched to Rio Bluesteel 3.5” BB at 40 yards, the patternmaster was more even. The kicks was kinda scattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:43 pm

I found the same thing with my Benelli. Shot the cbd and kicks full and they are both about the same. Just thought the cbd might be better because of the shorter shot string.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:36 am

Preference is not the same as which is better.
A choke is a choke. Every choke maker claims their choke is the best. They can't all be right....and I doubt that any of them are right.
Choke performance depends a great deal on the load you are shooting through it. No one can honestly claim that choke A performs better than choke B. Because they don't know every condition/variable where those chokes will be used.

Pick a choke. Buy it. Pattern it with the load you'll use it with. If it patterns well, you have a winner. If it doesn't, change loads or try another choke.

Always compare an aftermarket chokes patterns with the patterns from the equivalent factory choke. Chances are the aftermarket choke will pattern no better and no worse than the factory choke anyway.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:57 am

:thumbsup:
mudpack wrote:Preference is not the same as which is better.
A choke is a choke. Every choke maker claims their choke is the best. They can't all be right....and I doubt that any of them are right.
Choke performance depends a great deal on the load you are shooting through it. No one can honestly claim that choke A performs better than choke B. Because they don't know every condition/variable where those chokes will be used.

Pick a choke. Buy it. Pattern it with the load you'll use it with. If it patterns well, you have a winner. If it doesn't, change loads or try another choke.

Always compare an aftermarket chokes patterns with the patterns from the equivalent factory choke. Chances are the aftermarket choke will pattern no better and no worse than the factory choke anyway.

:thumbsup: :yes:
I think my fixed chokes are better too !

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:47 am

Was just wondering people's opinions that have used and patterned both to see what they had better luck with. And which ammo combination

Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:43 am

Bpearl24 wrote:Was just wondering people's opinions that have used and patterned both to see what they had better luck with. And which ammo combination

The opinions you'll get will be like shoe styles , personal likes without trying them on !
Most Choke tubes , no matter who makes them , will shoot good pattern with the shell load "it" prefers .
The design of a choke tube is based on the type payload material that's expected to be used through it , what works great
with one kind , doesn't do very good with others . A choke with a fancy Name is marketing at its Best and until you decide
by knowing your barrels bore dimension and the payload amount you wish to shoot ? it's anyone's guess as to what would
be good advice for you ! Your Factory tubes , might be the best you can get ? Pattern them and see ? :yes: :thumbsup:

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:11 pm

3200 man wrote:
Bpearl24 wrote:Was just wondering people's opinions that have used and patterned both to see what they had better luck with. And which ammo combination

The opinions you'll get will be like shoe styles , personal likes without trying them on !
Most Choke tubes , no matter who makes them , will shoot good pattern with the shell load "it" prefers .
The design of a choke tube is based on the type payload material that's expected to be used through it , what works great
with one kind , doesn't do very good with others . A choke with a fancy Name is marketing at its Best and until you decide
by knowing your barrels bore dimension and the payload amount you wish to shoot ? it's anyone's guess as to what would
be good advice for you ! Your Factory tubes , might be the best you can get ? Pattern them and see ? :yes: :thumbsup:

That ^ is good advice.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Patternmaster code black duck for me in my maxus. 3” #2 Rio steel loads work amazingly well. Throws a very nice pattern out to 40yds, and I know I’ve killed well beyond that with it.
Post a reply