Switch to full site
Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.
Post a reply

When did Remington stop making #TT Nitto Steel?

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Found a couple boxes at the local hardware store. 12 ga, 3.5", 69 pellets.
Just curious.

Re: When did Remington stop making #TT Nitto Steel?

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Can't tell you when Remington put TT shot in their loads, but I can tell you that you might want to check the legality of using that large of a shot on waterfowl.
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall T being the largest you can use.......

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 pm

I called. No restriction on shot size in Michigan so long as it's non toxic. Though some of the state game areas have size limits.
Also, Oregon allowed #F when I was there.

Question is, can I keep enough pellets in the circle? Only starting with 69...

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Drag out the 10 gauge and the TT’s will get done. I shoot big shot at everything from teal to specs!

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Big10fathom out wrote:Drag out the 10 gauge and the TT’s will get done. I shoot big shot at everything from teal to specs!

Might just do that if they dont work in the 12.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Well, i stripped some of the shot and loaded a 1-5/8 oz load in the 10 (actually, 1-3/5, 703 gr.) in the 10. But it actually DIDN'T pattern the #TT as well as the 12! At least with the chokes I have.

In the 870, the best pattern was with the factory mod: 52 of 69 pellets at 50 yards. (The LM and IC got only 36 and 37 pellets in the circle, so there's another bit of recieved wisdom out the window.)

I also chrono'd three shells (9 feet from muzzle):
avg of 1347, faster than I expected. I dont have kpy, but I assume that's fast enough to plow through a goose at 50 yards.

The last test was on passing geese. But none showed up as I stood in the back yard, so actual field results remain inconclusive.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 am

mudpack wrote:Can't tell you when Remington put TT shot in their loads, but I can tell you that you might want to check the legality of using that large of a shot on waterfowl.
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall T being the largest you can use.......

Pretty sure "F" shot was outlawed in at least some states (based on old #4 buck studies)and slightly smaller "TT"s were/are an end run around that.

Could well be wrong, as BBB is as big as I went, before downsizing.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Well they work. One in the neck at 45 or 50 yards passing overhead. Obviously deader than it would be if I had used #BBB.
20201123_090016.jpg

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Wonder why that posted sideways?

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:07 pm

They have not made TT for over 20 years. I bought up all i could find and then started reloading them in 3 and much later in 3 1/2 inch as very fast 1 1/4 oz. Have not found anything better in steel for pass shooting snow geese. I live up north and our late season Canada geese are very tough..TT really takes care of them too as penetration is good threw fat and feathers. Bucks Run had 10 lbs bags. Patterns not very good..Use with bigger choke best with .710 extended..
Attachments
20201127_214319.jpg
Post a reply