F steel reloads for 10ga

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Big10fathom out » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience loading F steel? Would you have any suggestions on what recipe worked best out of what gun and choke? Thanks for any input here.
Big10fathom out
hunter
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm
Location: East Tennessee

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Jim Atlas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 am

I'd look at 10gagenut's (aka BT Justice) posts on the refuge forum from 2004-05 area. And cross reference those with his manual. He said he got his best patterns with a .705 terror tube.
https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/10 ... ts.266075/
It's only sky busting if you miss...
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby C M Wings » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Fed Hull
W209 Primer
TPS wad
42 grains of STEEL
Filler to suit
1.5 ounces of shot

11K, 1500-1550 FPS

Briley LF or Terror .705 if you can find one out of SP10.... just an awesome goose load.

I got this from BT's published 10g loading manual.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Jim Atlas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm

I might try the 1-5/8 oz load of his. Those 5 extra pellets might be the clincher. And 1420 ish fps is certainly plenty for #F steel.
I've never loaded #F, so take that for what it's worth. I am going to start messing with #TT though--'cause why not?
It's only sky busting if you miss...
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby JRS » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:16 pm

We are limited to T in beautiful Ca, I’m jealous. I can only imagine after shooting BT’s 1.5 oz recipe (with BBB) through the Terror.720...
JRS
hunter
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:26 am

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby jsh909 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:40 am

Joe always talked about poor results in the field with F steel. And he had some good loads
jsh909
hunter
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Jim Atlas » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:26 pm

jsh909 wrote:Joe always talked about poor results in the field with F steel. And he had some good loads


https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/t- ... ot.402822/

I dont know if "poor" is the right word., just that he had better results with #BBB
It's only sky busting if you miss...
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Big10fathom out » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks guys I bought BT’s manual a while back and love it. I checked those old posts too, I have a mag 10 and had a Briley choke it so I have several chokes including the LF everyone talks about. I have loaded some Winchester 1-1/2 oz with the F’s I will test later this weekend if time allows.
Big10fathom out
hunter
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm
Location: East Tennessee

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby jsh909 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:14 am

Jim Atlas wrote:
jsh909 wrote:Joe always talked about poor results in the field with F steel. And he had some good loads


https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/t- ... ot.402822/

I dont know if "poor" is the right word., just that he had better results with #BBB


Jim, I was going off of conversations that we had. I remember all the results and info that he posted here and on the refuge. He talked about poor results as far as clean kills (more cripples and gliders) as opposed to T and BBB. I believe he said that he thought it was due to the large frontal area of the pellet, depending on where it hit, there was to much resistance (trying to push feathers, skin,etc... through) causing penetration issues.
jsh909
hunter
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Jim Atlas » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:11 am

jsh909 wrote:
Jim Atlas wrote:
jsh909 wrote:Joe always talked about poor results in the field with F steel. And he had some good loads


https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/t- ... ot.402822/

I dont know if "poor" is the right word., just that he had better results with #BBB


Jim, I was going off of conversations that we had. I remember all the results and info that he posted here and on the refuge. He talked about poor results as far as clean kills (more cripples and gliders) as opposed to T and BBB. I believe he said that he thought it was due to the large frontal area of the pellet, depending on where it hit, there was to much resistance (trying to push feathers, skin,etc... through) causing penetration issues.


I'm sure you're right. I never spoke of #F with him, and Imnnot trying to put words in his mouth. I do know he settled on #BBB for geese, preferring it to #1 or bigger shot. So you must be right.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Big10fathom out » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm

It is interesting to me that the bigger shot responded better to the super tight restrictions. Traditional thinking I always heard was to use a more open choke on bigger shot. I’m not sure how much pounding my choke can take from those F’s in my tighter restrictions. I have some thin wall chokes. I have shot up to TT without problems but at some point I start to be wondering if I may damage my chokes.
Big10fathom out
hunter
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm
Location: East Tennessee

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby baltz526 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:42 am

My experience is BBB is the best long range pellet choice in the 10ga. 85 pellets at 1600fps + is more effective than 60F or 70T at a slower speed. The BBB pellet is also not as temperamental on choke. 80% plus patterns at 50 yards is not hard to achieve. Then 100 BBB loads at 1500 fps are also good for many hunting situations. T or F pellets are interesting to play with. But my experience says BBB is a better long range steel shot choice in the 10ga. Push them fast.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
User avatar
baltz526
hunter
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Lapine Oregon

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby jsh909 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:27 am

Jim Atlas wrote:
jsh909 wrote:
Jim Atlas wrote:
jsh909 wrote:Joe always talked about poor results in the field with F steel. And he had some good loads


https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/t- ... ot.402822/

I dont know if "poor" is the right word., just that he had better results with #BBB


Jim, I was going off of conversations that we had. I remember all the results and info that he posted here and on the refuge. He talked about poor results as far as clean kills (more cripples and gliders) as opposed to T and BBB. I believe he said that he thought it was due to the large frontal area of the pellet, depending on where it hit, there was to much resistance (trying to push feathers, skin,etc... through) causing penetration issues.


I'm sure you're right. I never spoke of #F with him, and Imnnot trying to put words in his mouth. I do know he settled on #BBB for geese, preferring it to #1 or bigger shot. So you must be right.


I don't think either of us is right or wrong. My guess is he simply had mixed results. I personally never tried them.
jsh909
hunter
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby bubba682 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:26 am

I never had no luck with pattering f shot i used all the good 10 ga chokes now i use the browning full steel for the gun it loves 1/1/2 bb.
Huntin the barrens of Cape Breton.
bubba682
hunter
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: cape breton canada

Re: F steel reloads for 10ga

Postby Big10fathom out » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Still waitin to try what I have loaded in the Winchester hulls.
Big10fathom out
hunter
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm
Location: East Tennessee


Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests