Browning Wicked Wing Full Choke

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

Browning Wicked Wing Full Choke

Postby okduckdude » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:31 am

Anyone shoot anything larger than Steel #2 out of one? I read where they were specifically developed for steel shot, but idk if that means they were developed to shoot steel out of like carlstons or jebs Waterfowl chokes.

Plus according to Browning’s website, it shows full can’t shoot steel shot.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Re: Browning Wicked Wing Full Choke

Postby jsh909 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:12 am

okduckdude wrote:Anyone shoot anything larger than Steel #2 out of one? I read where they were specifically developed for steel shot, but idk if that means they were developed to shoot steel out of like carlstons or jebs Waterfowl chokes.

Is this the A5 or Maxus? Can you give me the actual choke measurement(constriction)? The wicked wing chokes I had, been awhile now, had steel designations. So the full choke was a full steel shot pattern similar to a modified with lead shot. And they went down from there. That said, I do know that the A 5 choke system has some speed/size restrictions with steel shot.
jsh909
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:29 am

jsh909 wrote:
okduckdude wrote:Anyone shoot anything larger than Steel #2 out of one? I read where they were specifically developed for steel shot, but idk if that means they were developed to shoot steel out of like carlstons or jebs Waterfowl chokes.

Is this the A5 or Maxus? Can you give me the actual choke measurement(constriction)? The wicked wing chokes I had, been awhile now, had steel designations. So the full choke was a full steel shot pattern similar to a modified with lead shot. And they went down from there. That said, I do know that the A 5 choke system has some speed/size restrictions with steel shot.
It’s a Cynergy. For the life of me I can’t find the actual measurements online and I don’t have a measuring device to measure the construction. The chokes themselves only have one designation, which I assume would be steel but I want to make sure.

I did pattern it the other day with the full, #2s @ 20 yards. The pattern was tight but filled up a 20 inch circle so it may be for steel.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Well, the cynergy would use the invector plus chokes like the Maxus, which is what mine were. However I don't want to steer you wrong, so if in doubt, contact browning. Without a micrometer on them, I would just be guessing
jsh909
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:42 pm

My Browning Maxus Wicked Wing choke tubes are silver--extended--and marked like a goose/duck band. I'm thinking they are mfg by Briley. This being a waterfowling piece, makes sense the 3 tubes supplied would be steel-shot safe.
--------------------------------
"It's supplied with Goose Band Extended Invector-­Plus choke tubes in Improved Cylinder (.729 inch), Modified (.719 inch) and Full (.704 inch) configurations. All are 3 inches with a conical parallel internal profile that constricts the shot charge gradually for even patterns.
The parallel segment of the tube sticks out of the muzzle by 7/8 inch, easing any worry you might have about it bulging under the impact of years of steel shot loads and seizing inside the barrel. Since the tube wall of the Full choke tube is .066-­inch thick, you needn't fret, but the extended part makes for easy tube changing in the field. It also serves as the canvas for a clever decorative scheme that resembles a waterfowl leg band. The large numbers "4109-­11146" are the GPS coordinates for Browning's Morgan, Utah, headquarters."
--gunsandammo.com
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 am

I wasn’t pleased with the patterns (HTL pellets) those tubes rendered on the Maxus acquired last fall. Went to the flush mount IM tube and it’s good to go. This shotgun points and swings very easily.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby Dr Swane » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Two buddies who shoot Wicked Wing Brownings (Cynergy, and Maxus) converted over to non-ported Mid Range and Long Range Carlson Cremator tubes for steel, tss, bismuth, and lead. They Shoot fast steel loads 2’s, 1’s BB’s, bismuth in 3, 2, 1, and BB, and assorted lead shot sizes.

The factory Browning tubes work well, but patterns and field performance seem better out of the Cremators.

I have shot and patterned the non-ported Cremators in the beretta/Benelli Mobil threads, the Optima HP (a400) for years. I’m very pleased with their performance.
Dr Swane
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes