What to do about rusty shot.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, NV Guide

What to do about rusty shot.

Postby Duckwyatt80 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:35 pm

I was wondering about what to do to prevent shot from rusting. I bought some shot and when I got around to opening it it was rusted. I soaked a spoonful in Evaporust overnight and it did a nice job. Now I am curious on what to put on it to prevent rust that won’t degrade wads and gas seals. Normally I buy zinc plated shot and don’t have to worry about this, but I found this local for $18.50. I didn’t look at it before I bought it.
074DCE66-CA31-4A05-8EE6-8C9CE1E93C9F.jpeg
Rusty shot found when opening the bag
Attachments
D9C91BD9-DB9C-4F38-B909-D23B16E080D2.jpeg
After soaking for 18 hours in Evaporust.
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,....
MattW
Duckwyatt80
State Moderator

Re: What to do about rusty shot.

Postby ohio mike » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Give it a overnight bath in cleaning vinegar. Rinse,dry,and coat with dry silicon spray. At least that's what I'd do.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby John Singer » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:53 am

I store steel shot in the original bag inside of a Ziploc freezer bag to prevent rust.

I also store shot in smaller soda bottles that have been cleaned and thoroughly dried.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:31 pm

I shoot it.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby jsh909 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:54 am

Jim Atlas wrote:I shoot it.

Same here, that just looks like a patina, not really a concern for me.
jsh909
hunter

Postby Duckwyatt80 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:55 am

That is definitely more than a patina. The pictures do not do it justice. There are many pellets with pits in them. The Evaporust did a nice job of removing all rust overnight. I may try the dry silicone spray on it and see what happens.
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,....
MattW
Duckwyatt80
State Moderator

Postby jsh909 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm

Cool man, glad it worked out for you.
jsh909
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:16 pm

Hey Matt. Read your thread with interest a few days ago. I didn't really have any better ideas, so didn't comment.
However, I always used naval jelly to remove rust and leave a protective coating.
I would dilute with water and soak a bit, then wash with some baking soda in water. Here is a good article on 3 acids used to clean steel for welding.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/surface- ... y-metal/3/
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:59 am

There is a product called rustmort. It turns the rust into a polymerized surface. I would put about 1 oz in a plastic coffee can. Dump the steel shot in and shake it until every thing is coated. Then dump the shot into a pan to cure. On a warm day it should take 3-4 hours.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby wildflights » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:16 pm

I've bought rusty steel shot from secondhand sources several times. I've always thrown it in the tumbler to knock the rust off.
wildflights
hunter

Postby Duckwyatt80 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:49 pm

wildflights wrote:I've bought rusty steel shot from secondhand sources several times. I've always thrown it in the tumbler to knock the rust off.

Wild what type of media do you use? Or do you just throw it in there by itself ad let friction do the work?
MattW
Duckwyatt80
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:38 pm

I'd load it up and not give it another thought.
If the rust bothers you, get some muratic acid from the hardware store (used to clean concrete/masonry staining), dilute it about 60% with water, and dump the shot in it. It will be clean in about five minutes. Rinse in hot water, then poor a cup of WD-40 over the shot, shake it up, and towel-dry each shot individually. :biggrin:
You'll figure it out.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:58 pm

mudpack wrote:I'd load it up and not give it another thought.
If the rust bothers you, get some muratic acid from the hardware store (used to clean concrete/masonry staining), dilute it about 60% with water, and dump the shot in it. It will be clean in about five minutes. Rinse in hot water, then poor a cup of WD-40 over the shot, shake it up, and towel-dry each shot individually. :biggrin:
You'll figure it out.

Also the same stuff every pool store sells, if that is easier. Hd and walmart sell too.
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby J J Mac » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Dave in AZ wrote:
mudpack wrote:I'd load it up and not give it another thought.
You'll figure it out.

Also the same stuff every pool store sells, if that is easier. Hd and walmart sell too.

Muriatic acid (typically about 32 wt % hydrochloric acid I think) is dangerous, corrosive, and reactive stuff. It can damage your eyes irreversibly and burn your skin severely. Always wear eye protection when using it. Fumes are bad too. Make sure you know how to use it safely. If diluting it with water, always add the acid slowly to water not vice versa. If you add water to strong hydrochloric acid, the heat of dilution may cause violent boiling which can cause acid to be splashed on you with unpleasant results. There are other precautions you need to take when using it. Google "Muriatic Acid MSDS" to get info on its properties and precautions in its use. Also, see https://www.msdsonline.com/2014/09/10/hydrochloric-acid-hazards-safety-tips/
J J Mac
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:47 am

Yep, what JJMac said. That's why I'd use a phosphoric acid based product like naval jelly instead.
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby Duckwyatt80 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Well I soaked all the shot in Evaporust and it now looks great. Turns out if you drain the Evaporust and let it dry naturally it gives a protective barrier against rust. :clapping: Now just to get it loaded in some Federal 16 gauge hulls.
Attachments
E2B36B72-22C3-4312-9557-9EAC5E606849.jpeg
E2B36B72-22C3-4312-9557-9EAC5E606849.jpeg (226.72 KiB) Viewed 415 times
MattW
Duckwyatt80
State Moderator

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Nice!
Post up what you do for the 16ga steel on another thread, I always love hearing info on 16ga steel. If I look at my pms we probably talked about your load, but there aren't any new threads here these days, so we need some! ;)
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Duckwyatt80 wrote:Well I soaked all the shot in Evaporust and it now looks great. Turns out if you drain the Evaporust and let it dry naturally it gives a protective barrier against rust. :clapping: Now just to get it loaded in some Federal 16 gauge hulls.

Although I no longer load steel that is a very good piece of information. You can't be the first or last to deal with rusty shot.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby wildflights » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:35 pm

Duckwyatt80 wrote:
wildflights wrote:I've bought rusty steel shot from secondhand sources several times. I've always thrown it in the tumbler to knock the rust off.

Wild what type of media do you use? Or do you just throw it in there by itself ad let friction do the work?

Just the shot.

Trappers often soak rusty traps in vinegar. It'll clean them right up but if you don't rinse well before drying, it'll re rust over night. Vinegar is acidic but it's not as aggressive as muriatic acid and of course, vinegar isn't dangerous if it gets on your skin.
wildflights
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Without a doubt muratic acid is powerful stuff.
That's why use it to remove rust quickly from ferrous items.

CocaCola works better and faster than vinegar, if you're the cautious type.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:01 am

mudpack wrote:Without a doubt muratic acid is powerful stuff.
That's why use it to remove rust quickly from ferrous items.

CocaCola works better and faster than vinegar, if you're the cautious type.

And it tastes great!
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:09 am

Shoot it. It won't hurt anything or rust into a slug myth. That myth is up there with the unplated lead flattening on goose feathers that you would hear back in the day.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby jhook » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:39 pm

I'm in the shoot it crowd. I haven't found it to hurt nothing.
jhook
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes