New to Duck Hunting

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

New to Duck Hunting

Postby Willcutt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:13 am

Hello,

I was raised up solely with deer hunting from my father but starting last season I gained a big interest in duck hunting. I went with some buddies and really enjoyed it more then they did . So this season I am hoping to find someone that Is also looking for a hunting partner. I'm just really eager to learn and can pay whatever, drive wherever and do whatever is needed. I'm not expecting to just be able to ride along and get a free ride with anyone or looking to find out other peoples spots. I just cant find anyone in my area that duck hunts.. legally.

Willing to drive to MS as well.

PM me and we can exchange information.

Thanks,

Hayden
Willcutt
hunter

Re: New to Duck Hunting

Postby GomerPyle » Tue May 26, 2015 7:55 am

What part of AL are you in?
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri May 29, 2015 9:51 am

yea... where are you?
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Well his IP wasn't no help but he does use AT&T.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Willcutt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey guys, apologize for the inactivity. Been awfully busy. But I am located Gardendale, just north of Birmingham.
Willcutt
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:16 pm

If you are willing to drive Gadsden area, you can go with me IF my son doesn't go. send me a pm.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby rmims » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:51 am

Willcutt wrote:Hey guys, apologize for the inactivity. Been awfully busy. But I am located Gardendale, just north of Birmingham.

I graduated from gardendale and I know some willcutts. Send me a message

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
rmims
hunter

Postby Willcutt » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:55 pm

rmims wrote:
Willcutt wrote:Hey guys, apologize for the inactivity. Been awfully busy. But I am located Gardendale, just north of Birmingham.

I graduated from gardendale and I know some willcutts. Send me a message

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Sent you a PM.
Willcutt
hunter

Postby Willcutt » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Still searching! Just picked up a War Eagle 1648 boat with a 27HP Backwater Swomp motor. Going to be building a modified scissor blind using plans off of here. Slowly but surely investing! Ill post a pic in a bit.
Willcutt
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:05 am

If you've got a boat then you're on your own.... good luck and try not to get killed!!! :thumbsup:
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Willcutt » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:11 pm

While having all these things and resources are great. It still will not give me the knowledge or experience as not even money or googling can give me that. Lol. Like I said, It sucks none of my buddies are interested in it so at least I wouldn't be going and having to learn most everything on my own. But that is beginning to look as my only options at this time.
Willcutt
hunter

Postby Longview » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:52 am

Willcutt I would say a good starting place for you would be logan Martin. Its pretty safe to new guys and on the right day and set up you can do ok. I absolutely hate when guys are not willing to help out new guys.. On the flip side I get it..I know they are worried about the person over hunting spots and I hate when they the new guy never pays it forward when the next guy needs help. I never worry with helping a guy..I have many spots I can hunt..I have no problem pointing you in a good direction..just send me a message and I will do what I can for, but you gotta look and put in the work to find good spots..don't jump on one you seen someone at before.. If you do decide to hunt logan martin be carefull in winter water drops big time and it will go shallow th fast so go at it slow..
Longview
Newb

Postby kcwellington » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:20 am

kcwellington wrote:If you've got a boat then you're on your own.... good luck and try not to get killed!!! :thumbsup:

:lol3: :lol3: I'm just messin' with you!!! I cant promise you how many times it will be but I"ll get with you one weekend my son doesn't go with me.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby FULLCHOKEFOWL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Willcutt,
I disagree with the other guy... he said, "I will do what I can for, but you gotta look and put in the work to find good spots..don't jump on one you seen someone at before."
I agree you have to put in time scouting, but if you have scouted birds on public land/water where someone else was doing well, go ahead and hunt there if they're not hunting it. It's public land! Just don't set up on top of them. Also, NEVER go to someone else's hole if they took you there, without giving them a call first. Be respectful of the rest of us and don't set up on top of others especially if they beat you to the hole.
Hell, I was hunting by myself on a point on a cove, and I had a guy come in on me late so I invited him to hunt. He had a young boy with him and it was thanksgiving last year. It was public area and certainly not a secret spot, and I didn't want him paddling his sneak boat to the next point to hunt, ruining the cove for both of us But as a rule, we all hate when someone gets there at shooting time, rolls up on our spread and thinks they're looking at real ducks...or when they see us already set up, and then set up too close. Since you're just starting out, have some courtesy for others, and let the birds work!
Just imagine you're in your dad's favorite deer stand that y'all been hunting for years, and you've had a 10 point on camera.. You're ready for him to walk out into that open field.. But some guy who walked in late is making noise in his climber down from your food plot..as the buck steps out into the clearing, the guy takes a 300 yard shot and the buck runs off! That's what it's like getting set up on and having some guy skybust ducks working your decoys and making a wide swing. It sucks.
Be courteous of others at the ramp too. Pull up into the staging area to get your boat ready. Don't pull up onto the boat ramp and jump out to unhook your boat, put on your waders etc and hold everyone else up. Handle your business before you start backing your boat up. Also, if the ramp is big enough for two or more boats to launch at a time, KILL YOUR LIGHTS! It's hard as hell to back your boat down the ramp when someone is blinding you with their headlights.

All that being said, I'd hunt with you if you were ever in SW GA or AL, and I'd be happy to give you advice anytime. Just pm me. You can also learn from going to other Web sites like DU. Not talking about the migration reports, I'm talking about the articles they have about decoy spreads and such. Best of luck to you young man. Be safe!
"I'm killin 'em with a Southern Accent!" - Southern Accent Calls
FULLCHOKEFOWL
hunter

Postby BuzzardsRoostOutdoors » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:07 am

Logan Martin is a good spot in the area. I'm about 45 minutes south of bham. I'm pretty new to duck huntin too but fortunately have some friends that got me into it and hunt with them. PM me and maybe sometime we will have room and you can go with us
BuzzardsRoostOutdoors
Newb

Postby TitansTown » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:09 am

Have hunted total of twice. Last year. Got all the equipment for wading in. My goal is to kill a few ducks this first real season. But really I just want to kill my first duck. I'm 43 but just got into it last year when a buddy took me twice. Got to shoot at a few but no luck. I live in Harvest. I can go during the week. I work weekends. Anybody interested just reply to this. Thanks yall.
TitansTown
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:50 am

BuzzardsRoostOutdoors wrote:Logan Martin is a good spot in the area. I'm about 45 minutes south of bham. I'm pretty new to duck huntin too but fortunately have some friends that got me into it and hunt with them. PM me and maybe sometime we will have room and you can go with us

Your definition of good, and mine must be really different.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Shadwrick89 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:53 am

Pm and next time I have plans 2 go I'll let u know
Shadwrick89
Newb

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting