First year to go duck hunting.

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

First year to go duck hunting.

Postby Bowhunter8504 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 pm

I live in Ohatchee Alabama and wanting to go duck hunting for 2015-2016 season. I've already got some duck calls but need to practice using them. Good shotgun and ammo. Not sure if my camo will work, I've got mainly mossy oak. Any help is appreciated.
Bowhunter8504
Newb

Re: First year to go duck hunting.

Postby Bowhunter8504 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:26 pm

I would like to go goose hunting also but not sure if it will be as fun as duck hunting.
Bowhunter8504
Newb

Postby DDW1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 am

Depends on the amount of geese and where you hunt.
DDW1
hunter

Postby rmims » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 am

I'd try to find someone in your area to tag along with. ( might be a little difficult but it can be done, just be ready and willing to help with gas, ect... Second, I'd rig out a. Dozen or so decoys ( I bought some used ones from craigslist) and get a map of a wma close to where you live.. Having a boat will make thing a million times easier, find you a decent set of waders and head to the water.. After that, then you will really start to learn what it's all about. Unless you get in with a seasoned group it'll probably be a little slow at first but as the seasons go by you'll get better and better. Just don't give up and grab a book are research online. Duck hunting is a great sport ( the best in my opinion) but it's definitely not for the weak hearted... You reap what you sow. When you do it on your own it makes every effort worth it when you finally get the first bird. Just don't get discouraged if you don't kill anything... I've been on several hunts and killed nothing but time. Just can't give up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
rmims
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting