How to find duck holes.

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

How to find duck holes.

Postby DDW1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm starting this thread to help beginning hunters find spots that will hold ducks.

Any questions feel free to ask. :welcome:
DDW1
hunter

Re: How to find duck holes.

Postby rmims » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:00 am

On opening day in alabama would you go with a puddler heavy spread or a mix of puddlers and divers.. Hunting north al

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
rmims
hunter

Postby rmims » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:08 am

What is the main good source in north al? Millfoil? Invertebrates? Or try to find shell beds?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
rmims
hunter

Postby DDW1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

I dont have any info on north alabama hunting.
DDW1
hunter

Postby buddy h » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:01 pm

You just started the thread to stir the pot a little right? What are you planning on doing just posting exact cordinates of places you heard hold ducks? Even if you knew places that you could kill limits everyday why would you post that up for everyone to see? My guess is you don't have a clue as to where the birds are or your post wouldn't be asking who hunts where. Giving spots out helps no one. sometimes I have to drive 3 hours one way to scout sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't but when I find them I keep it to myself and hunt with very few people. go in hunt it and hope no one is out riding with there ears open waiting to put your spot in their GPS . I hunt mostly private holes due to overcrowded public holes. there are a few places around here that I have seen that used to be good hunting until people run there mouth off. At those same places now you have to wait two hours to launch your boat because there so many people there on the opener. I'm all for helping new hunters getting into the sport but more often than not when you take one new guy with you on a public spot he brings 3 of his friends when he's not with you and so on and so on. If someone wants to know decoy set up great or if they want to know what kind of food source well that's great also. Those questions are good questions but giving out where to hunt or asking where to hunt not so much but that's just my opinion on the subject.
buddy h
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:19 am

DDW1 wrote:I dont have any info on north alabama hunting.

Then why are you posting here? Hunting across Alabama is similar enough (aside from coastal marshes) that if you have some knowledge of the sport, then you should be able to provide insight to RMIMs question.

"I'm starting this thread to help beginning hunters find spots that will hold ducks." Are you knowledgeable about duck hunting and able to adequately answer questions, or are you trying to search for information about how to scout, but framing it under the premise that you are in fact the guru on an open forum?

The topic itself is fair, and for new hunters, it is a hard question to answer.

RMIMS, to answer your questions, I hunt AL, MS, and NC, in coastal areas, swamps, flooded fields, etc, and have dabbled enough. For each situation, my spread is different, and what I look for (aside from simply seeing where ducks are), varies with each situation.

For coastal marshes, I look for razor clam beds, or mud flats that house invertebrates where a mix of puddlers and divers will go to feed depending on the tide. In swamps, acorns are always a good start, and cypress trees typically signify an area to start looking as well. During the off season, I focus mostly on finding hard to reach pockets of water where they look "ducky", and then just prior to hunting, I go an visually inspect the area for feathers, ducks on the water, etc to verify that the place is in fact holding birds.

As for a spread in north or central AL, it depends on what you are hunting and what you are seeing. If you are hunting big water, I like a mixed spread, but definitely incorporate some geese. If you are hunting a slough or area where divers are less likely, I'd cut back. Again though, it depends on what you typically see in the area.

There are a lot of good references and debates on this site that will give you other perspectives. Another similar topic was just started here and as more people post to it, you may find some more good knowledge. Again, use this forum to learn HOW to scout, not WHERE to scout.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=673730
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby DDW1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:15 pm

If you think hunting north alabama is the same as central I'd love to see you toss out a few dozen decoys and kill a limit or 2 of mallards. I'm telling you its not going to happen on public land. And thank you for answering his question.
DDW1
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:09 pm

DDW1 wrote:If you think hunting north alabama is the same as central I'd love to see you toss out a few dozen decoys and kill a limit or 2 of mallards. I'm telling you its not going to happen on public land. And thank you for answering his question.

I'd love to see YOU do it. At least I can answer a few simple questions on here for users.

My guess is you have no idea what you are doing and are trying to act like an expert on this, and post this topic in hopes that someone else adds information that you can use.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby buddy h » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 pm

DDW1 won't be replying his mouth got him banned! I don't think he will be missed!!!!
buddy h
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:26 pm

buddy h wrote:DDW1 won't be replying his mouth got him banned! I don't think he will be missed!!!!

Well a good debate is one thing, but cyber scouting, then calling people the names he did will tend to do that to you...

BUT if there are any new guys on here that see this, please ask the members here HOW to scout, etc, just not specifically where. I'm sure many more knowledgeable people than me will offer good sage advice. Many on here have spent decades hunting fowl and know a thing or two.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:17 am

DDW1ghotst wrote:buddy h no one will miss you once you finally off your self you will just be doing the world a favor. blue sky dont ever think you are a true hunter when all you do is sit around with your thumb up your butt and never offer anyone any help. what are you goin to tell them buy a boat and go walk your ass off till you find where ducks are? or tell them what to look for because knowing you that would be consider cyber scouting. dont ever think your post are worth reading. your knowledge is about as deep as your bank account. :welcome:

You do realize you were banned right? Making another profile like the two you previously made is still against the rules.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby buddy h » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:16 am

This kid is to funny!
buddy h
hunter

Postby FULLCHOKEFOWL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
DDW1 wrote:I dont have any info on north alabama hunting.

Then why are you posting here? Hunting across Alabama is similar enough (aside from coastal marshes) that if you have some knowledge of the sport, then you should be able to provide insight to RMIMs question.

"I'm starting this thread to help beginning hunters find spots that will hold ducks." Are you knowledgeable about duck hunting and able to adequately answer questions, or are you trying to search for information about how to scout, but framing it under the premise that you are in fact the guru on an open forum?

The topic itself is fair, and for new hunters, it is a hard question to answer.

RMIMS, to answer your questions, I hunt AL, MS, and NC, in coastal areas, swamps, flooded fields, etc, and have dabbled enough. For each situation, my spread is different, and what I look for (aside from simply seeing where ducks are), varies with each situation.

For coastal marshes, I look for razor clam beds, or mud flats that house invertebrates where a mix of puddlers and divers will go to feed depending on the tide. In swamps, acorns are always a good start, and cypress trees typically signify an area to start looking as well. During the off season, I focus mostly on finding hard to reach pockets of water where they look "ducky", and then just prior to hunting, I go an visually inspect the area for feathers, ducks on the water, etc to verify that the place is in fact holding birds.

As for a spread in north or central AL, it depends on what you are hunting and what you are seeing. If you are hunting big water, I like a mixed spread, but definitely incorporate some geese. If you are hunting a slough or area where divers are less likely, I'd cut back. Again though, it depends on what you typically see in the area.

There are a lot of good references and debates on this site that will give you other perspectives. Another similar topic was just started here and as more people post to it, you may find some more good knowledge. Again, use this forum to learn HOW to scout, not WHERE to scout.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=673730

That's great advice right there. ^^^^
Back in the day, we used to be this way. Helping each other out. We had enough confidence in our ability to help out a new guy and we'd still kill our ducks. I'd rather educate and elevate the new guys than to cuss them for their ignorance and whip their ass at the ramp.
Simply put, I just love to hunt waterfowl, and after 37 years in the blind, I look at every hunt as a blessing to be out there. Killing ducks is a bonus!
I tried to offer some help to new people regarding a public place recently, and bout got my head taken off by guys who think they own the spot. Too much drama from all the damn haters and wanna bees has caused a black eye on our wonderful sport imo.
"I'm killin 'em with a Southern Accent!" - Southern Accent Calls
FULLCHOKEFOWL
hunter

Postby FULLCHOKEFOWL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:01 pm

Btw Bluesky2012,
Never met you but I have a lot of respect and admiration for what you're trying to do here.
"I'm killin 'em with a Southern Accent!" - Southern Accent Calls
FULLCHOKEFOWL
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting