New-ish Boat

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

New-ish Boat

Postby JG2789 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:52 pm

Hey guys, I'm finally looking to break down and buy a boat. I hunt in Northwest Alabama on the Tennessee River mainly and I am wondering if any of you guys have any insight into whether or not you just have to have a flat bottom or mod-v. Most of the places I have waded I can only go out 10-15 yards before I get around waist deep, so I am trying to decide if I could manage to get a semi-V to help deal with some of the chop I've seen coming off of the Tennessee. I appreciate any advice y'all could give out.
JG2789
hunter

Re: New-ish Boat

Postby Dep6 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:11 am

I have not hunted over there as much the last couple of years but there was a time that the only place you would find me was on the Tennessee River, I personally have a slick bottom mudboat and there has been a couple times that I did not hunt due to the wind and the waves breaking over the bow trying to go out. I would go with a Mod-V if all you gonna hunt is the river but Maybe I would suggest looking at a Gatortail motor or a Pro-drive if you gonna try to run some of the creeks and all.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby JG2789 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've found a few nice spots I'm able to get to after some walking. It would be nice to be able to have more options, especially if you can see where they are flying but can't get to them!
JG2789
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:21 pm

I grew up in western Lauderdale county (~7 miles from MacFarland Park ramp) and hunted 20+ seasons in the area.

First, the seas can get nasty especially after the passage of a front with westerly winds. Have been in 6-8' seas between the Natchez Trace bridge and Waterloo. The worst though can be near Woodland Landing/Seven Mile Island where the island(s) split the channel into multiple lanes and the combination of wave action going upstream (ESE) against the (opposite direction) current flow can lead to 4-6' rollers that start to stack up onto themselves creating a spacing issue wherein you can go over one and then spear into the next before the hull can begin to rise as it comes out of the preceeding wave.

This, coupled with the fact vehicular access has been either eliminated/restricted in parts of Seven Mile Island WMA, Woodland Landing road, Smithsonia road, Colbert Park ramp, Shirttail slough and Wright Landing area(s), makes marine navigation as your only/best option. For those reasons, if I lived there (now) a 18' or 20' Lund Alaskan (deep vee) type hull with the maximum 4-stroke OB (and kicker motor as a backup) would be the rig of choice. This way bad weather (heavy seas) and having to motor long(er) distances are managed with the greatest degree of convenience and safety.

IMO, a mud rig isn't a necessity on Pickwick reservoir as underwater stumps and pilings are the main navigational concerns and those are best dealt with by simply backing off on the throttle.

Now, Guntersville where you have a lot of milfoil and siltation...another story.

PM me and will be glad to share some of my history on spots in that area.

Regards,
Yuchi1
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

New-ish Boat

Postby Jeepx4127 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 am

Just curious about the direction you went.
I hunt the Tennessee River and use a SeaArk 2072 with 90hp Mercury.
Works great in the river and the open sloughs. However, there are channels I I would like to venture, but am afraid to.
Jeepx4127
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Jeep I would definitely be at idle in lots of places up there, be careful sir, that a nice rig!! :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting