New Duck Hunter (huntsville)

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

New Duck Hunter (huntsville)

Postby teamamerica » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:59 pm

I've done my fair share of bird hunting the past few years (dove and quail). Now that I got out of the military and moved to Alabama, i'm pretty interested in giving duck hunting a try. Is there anyone needing a hunting partner one of these weekends? I'd like to see if it's something I enjoy enough to invest in a decoys and a cheap blind over the summer for next season. I've got a shotgun, aluminum boat, and lunch + shells are on me.

:beer:
teamamerica
hunter

Re: New Duck Hunter (huntsville)

Postby volsquackhead » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:25 pm

teamamerica wrote:I've done my fair share of bird hunting the past few years (dove and quail). Now that I got out of the military and moved to Alabama, i'm pretty interested in giving duck hunting a try. Is there anyone needing a hunting partner one of these weekends? I'd like to see if it's something I enjoy enough to invest in a decoys and a cheap blind over the summer for next season. I've got a shotgun, aluminum boat, and lunch + shells are on me.

[emoji481]

I am from that area and may be of "some" help. I am still active duty/stationed in TX currently, so unfortunately I can't get you out this season. Hopefully someone that is local responds...I hate seeing people that are new to the sport get ignored, this is a great opportunity to grow the sport and teach proper waterfowl techniques/etiquette.

PM and I will try and point you in the right direction. Secondly I will reach out to my contacts as well and see if anyone has space.
volsquackhead
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:57 pm

If I get over that way I will contact him.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby teamamerica » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Dep6 wrote:If I get over that way I will contact him.

Thanks man, I'd appreciate it.
teamamerica
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm moving to Huntsville in April. Been in the waterfowl world long enough to point you in the right direction. I'll be starting from scratch in a new area so I'll be scouting a bunch, but if you want to learn to scout, learn what to look for, etc, then hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby teamamerica » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:I'm moving to Huntsville in April. Been in the waterfowl world long enough to point you in the right direction. I'll be starting from scratch in a new area so I'll be scouting a bunch, but if you want to learn to scout, learn what to look for, etc, then hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good, i'll shoot you a PM with my number.
teamamerica
hunter

Postby JG2789 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Have you had any luck finding somebody to take you yet? Also, are you available during the week, do you have waders, and how high a priority is safety to you?
JG2789
hunter

Postby teamamerica » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:30 pm

JG2789 wrote:Have you had any luck finding somebody to take you yet? Also, are you available during the week, do you have waders, and how high a priority is safety to you?

Not yet, got in touch with bluesky so next year seems promising.
Work is pretty flexible so I can take most mornings off if needed. And I have waders, but not sure about the safety. Depends on what exactly makes it unsafe!
teamamerica
hunter

Postby GrizzledYoots » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Hey, I'm new to the area and duck hunting as well. I'd like to get out and get some ducks.
GrizzledYoots
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:26 am

For the new hunters on here, a few pieces of advice when trying to get into the sport of waterfowl.

1. Go to a DU or delta waterfowl banquet or other waterfowl related events in the state (Hunting Retriever Clubs, etc). Meeting people there is easy and you can hopefully find someone to help you out, mentor you, etc.

2. Don't be discouraged if no one wants to spontaneously take you out in the middle of the season. Guys work hard scouting, building blinds, etc all season, and people typically don't like to take someone who hasn't put in effort and that may potentially rob a spot from them. Also, its a long boat ride, in the dark, into the middle of nowhere, with guns. Its weird to do that with someone you don't know nor trust.

3. Try to make hunting contacts during the off season. If you get out and fish with a hunter, help them scout, build blinds, etc during the off season you can learn a lot, and you can also earn trust and some sweat equity. Again, I don't like to ride out into the middle of no where in the dark with some new guy with a gun unless I know them. Catching fish and drinking beers is a good way to bridge this gap.

4. Waterfowl season is 12 months each year. You may only get to shoot for 60 days, but the other 305 days are for scouting, and other off season work. Don't be the guy that calls around the day before season looking for somewhere to go or someone to go with. You should have earned a spot on the boat months before.

5. Waterfowl hunting can be dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing and aren't going with a mentor for your first time, don't go. Cold water and night time is dangerous.

6. You never have too much boat. People die from having too small of a boat. If you decide to get one, get as much boat and motor as you can afford, and hunt waters that match it.

7. Don't bring your "duck dog". If it is your boat and your spot, you can take it. If you're asking to go with someone else, don't ask to bring your dog. Most peoples dogs are poorly trained and aren't worth a spot in the blind. If you are going with someone else, only bring your dog if they ask you to.

8. Season isn't the time to learn to call. Learn to call in the offseason from a good mentor. Also, ask a lot of questions while hunting. Learn to do it right, don't learn to be another sky busting, kazoo blowing, swing poaching rookie. This isn't dove hunting. There is a lot of etiquette and unspoken rules to doing it right. It takes more skill to kill birds close than to hit them far.

In all seriousness though, I like hunting with new guys and watching their face when they see ducks work and decoy for the first time. It will blow your mind.
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby elliottHSV » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Hey bud, If you are still wanting to duck hunt you can come with us. I am a native of Huntsville and i have a few spots. 29 year old. I am not the best caller but they come my way every now and then.
elliottHSV
Newb

Postby Dep6 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 pm

This post originated in 2016.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting