What's everyone

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

What's everyone

Postby HAC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:51 am

Doing this summer in the off season. Any big game tags out there. I drew a 3A 3C deee tag. Been working on my Polaris ranger. Looking into building a lite weight blind for the upcoming season.

Not a lot of traffic just thought I post something up to keep us on the board. :yes:
Last edited by HAC on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wait Wait Take'em
HAC
hunter

Re: What's everyone

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Yo HAC ;)
I'm being lazy... this covid is making me soooo darn lazy, sitting around reading.

I guess I did buy a bunch of supplies to make my own "squirting duck butt" decoys, that I'm hooking up to a 5 decoy X spreader to result in a "no jerk string moving decoys" thing. Last 2 years I used a 5 decoy X spreader I made with tent-pole shock cords, and I hooked that up to my jerk string as the "1st decoy", and really liked it's action. Now I'm trying to stick a strong pulsing duck butt in the middle to make the whole 5 motor around a bit. Meh, it's something to do in my pool cuz my kids won't swim with me now ;)
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby azdukhuntr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Hey guys good to hear you haven't become statistics over the summer. We've been chillin' at our son's place in the suburbs of Minneapolis since the beginning of June. We got here just in time to see most of the :censored: madness that gripped this place. I got all my preseason "chores" done after last season so we fled the heat. I stripped off the factory "mud" finish on my CZ O/U last winter and put 10 hand rubbed coats of TruOil on it after a touch of walnut stain. It looks 1000% better but now it looks too good to put camo tape on it for duck season. My old cigar "jones" reared it's head while I've been up here. There is just something about beautiful north country golf courses and great cigars that go hand in hand. Not to mention a fine bourbon or two. We'll be back before too long. I'm looking forward to early dove. Almost time to start :hammer:ing 'em. Hopefully the Wuhan flu sh!te disappears soon. I don't do face masks well.
"There's nothin' better than watchin' the world come alive from a duck blind"
azdukhuntr
hunter

Postby lfaber » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Trying to stay away from "cabin fever" and safely doing things here and there. Traded off the Benelli SBE II for the SBE III, and am very excited to get "luigi" in the field this fall. Of course Cabelas/Bass Pro ran a sale over Fathers day but not a left handed model in the entire national system of their inventory, called to Scheels in Omaha he had 4 of em! Waiting on the new Lucky Duck pulsators to come out mid Aug, still going to convert yellow banana kayak to marsh stalker colors before season starts. Also picked up these wire stands to convert my floaters to make shift "full bodies" BBwaterfowl.com, will see how they work on shoreline and field hunts. But first some Sept. doves
Attachments
stand decoys.jpg
lfaber
hunter

Postby azducknquail » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm

HAC good to hear from you! Like everyone else has said between the heat, the crowded boat ramps and this damn COVID its been tough to do "a lot." Personally I got my duck boat all fired up and ready to hunt, finally. I found a welder and hes fabricated a lot of custom parts, allowing me to attach coffin-style blind doors for a true layout boat, securements for the Invisilay pad, and also now supports a rip roaring long tail mud motor.

@HAC - have you seen the a-frame style blinds? I finally broke down and made the investment in anticipation of some new hunting grounds this coming season.

Other than that just getting the dog ready to grab ducks!
azducknquail
hunter

Postby HAC » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:36 pm

lfaber wrote:Trying to stay away from "cabin fever" and safely doing things here and there. Traded off the Benelli SBE II for the SBE III, and am very excited to get "luigi" in the field this fall. Of course Cabelas/Bass Pro ran a sale over Fathers day but not a left handed model in the entire national system of their inventory, called to Scheels in Omaha he had 4 of em! Waiting on the new Lucky Duck pulsators to come out mid Aug, still going to convert yellow banana kayak to marsh stalker colors before season starts. Also picked up these wire stands to convert my floaters to make shift "full bodies" BBwaterfowl.com, will see how they work on shoreline and field hunts. But first some Sept. doves

Dove in September sounds like fun :scooter:
Wait Wait Take'em
HAC
hunter

Postby HAC » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm

@HAC - have you seen the a-frame style blinds? I finally broke down and made the investment in anticipation of some new hunting grounds this coming season.[/quote]

I been looking at that blind, I need something compact that will fit on my buggy with gear and that's lite weight
Wait Wait Take'em
HAC
hunter

Postby azdukhuntr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Hey lfaber how have you been? Good to hear from you again. I made some of those wire stands a couple of years ago, although without the extra bend for the feet. They worked well but those orange feet look like they make all the difference in the appearance.

Ok it sounds like we have the makings of a duck killin' flotilla on here. I now count at least 4 of us with shallow draft boats needing to get together this season. What say y'all? Maybe put some hunts together on different waters? One of my plans for this season was to get the boat in the water more, so I'm ready if anyone else is.
azdukhuntr
hunter

Postby azducknquail » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:26 am

AZduckhuntr - I would definitely be game for that. Based on how much water we have this year, there are a couple of lakes that previously weren't worth hunting, that would now be worth hunting out of the Layout Boats. I will be doing some scouting once the season gets underway and will hopefully get something organized.

One a different note - the NEW 2020/2021 Waterfowl regulations are out! Start of Mountain Zone is Friday October 2nd, and the start of Desert Zone is the 4th Friday October 23rd. Desert season runs into the end of January, the 31st! Literally a full (4) months of straight duck hunting, I KNOW my wife will be thrilled :grooving:

I dont know if its ALL thanks to Azduckhuntr, but i think we should all be appreciative of his efforts to extend our Desert Season on the back end. I know I'm looking forward to those extra days.
azducknquail
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am

I like everything I'm hearing ;)
I did push my Final Attack i to the pool, and lay in there a bit, to test my rigging to hold water bottle or pool beer, and shells up under top lip so stuff doesnt spill around in bottom. My wife told me I didn't need 3 beers to test it, but I told her "extensive field testing is the hallmark of quality gear, now beer me!" ;)
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby azdukhuntr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 pm

Dave, I think the credit really goes to Jonathan O'Dell, the AZGFD small game biologist. He was on top of this soon after the feds set the rule allowing the season to extend through the end of Jan and had been in contact with other states in the Pacific Flyway to see what they're plans were. I just emailed him my suggestions and wishes for changing the Desert Zone season dates.

Commodore Mac the desert squadron of the "Arizona Duck Navy" is under your command. Save some of those pool beers for the Christening of the Fleet. :beer:
azdukhuntr
hunter

Postby MOB40 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:30 am

Hey whats up peoples, great to hear from you all. myself ive been working with my new pup but its tough cause of the heat so the only training ive been doing have been mostly inside the house other then that I haven't been to any lakes cause of the crowds and covid got tested twice already for work and both came negative so I guess what im doing is woring lol I not worried about it but I also aint looing find out how it is either so just pretty much been a hermit lol aside from work I have done much..
John Manuel ProStaff for Precision Duck & Goose Calls

https://www.facebook.com/Azduckmensunio ... e=bookmark
MOB40
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting