Good luck on the desert opener, wish I was there!

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Good luck on the desert opener, wish I was there!

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:50 pm

Hope you guys post up some nice pics of ducks or just a fun successful day outdoors enjoying life. I'm gonna miss opener this year, but will be checking here for my vicarious hunting!
Dave in AZ
hunter

Re: Good luck on the desert opener, wish I was there!

Postby azdukhuntr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Had a decent start to the season. Brought home 5 but lost two. :sad: Marginal shooting on my part and both birds sailed into impenetrable salt cedar tangles. Futile searches turned up empty. :mad: at myself for the poor shooting.

The good news was I found a "new" spot, actually an old spot but this year it has water. Spent the time brushing in a natural hide earlier this week and arrived extra early. Put out the decoys and had ducks landing in and swimming through the spread before LST. Sitting in the predawn stillness enjoying a pipeful of my favorite tobacco while taking in the sights and sounds of the awakening marsh waiting for the final 5 minutes to pass.

Two guys who decided they needed to fire off the shots of the season 5 minutes before LST, broke the silence. Sky blasting ducks flying 60-80 yards high and letting loose a volley of shots at a pair of passing cormorants was the highlight of their morning. Despite their intrusion I enjoyed my efforts except for the two lost ducks.

1NjhqKRTQ7yJDcvr4q31zg.jpg
"There's nothin' better than watchin' the world come alive from a duck blind"
azdukhuntr
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:44 am

Fantastic!
Loved the report!
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby akaspecials » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:39 am

I was happy to see less crowds for the desert opener than the mountain opener. It seems like everyone had a rough mountain opener.

I should have shot a limit on the desert opener, but my new dog decided to try of tip the boat every time we had birds in the air. She redeemed herself quail hunting, but I need to decide if I'm willing to give up a season of hunting to train this darn dog to sit and stay when ducks are flying in and making a racket. Turning a quail dog into a duck dog is testing my patience...

Good bird numbers this year from what I've seen. More greenheads than usual. I'm curious how the migration will be.
akaspecials
hunter

Postby azducknquail » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:43 am

Nice work, Joe! thats a fantastic looking opener. Glad to hear you found some good spots with water. Most of my local spots are drier than the desert itself.... not boding too well unless we get some decent moisture. No where for the ducks to hangout and live.

On the flip side, we had a great time on the Desert Opener... will post some pictures soon, but the highlight was swamping and almost sinking my boat at 5:00 am, finding someone else setup in my Plan A blind at 5:30, and having to call an audible that paid off... shot our 28 ducks and had an absolute riot of a time. Unfortunately, we apparently killed all the locals as the skies were empty earlier this week at the same area.
azducknquail
hunter

Postby azdukhuntr » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Yeah tell me about how DRY it is out there. It shocked the :censored: out of me to find water in that one spot. I was not expecting it at all and had gone out there to see what the quail were like. Dude you got to take it easy in that boat. It's a good thing you did that in a warm October instead of a cold January. Going for an unexpected swim is no fun at all. Been there done that and threw the T-shirt away. Glad it all worked out for you.

My shooting SUCKED on a return trip to the spot this past Tuesday but did manage a pair of mallards and the loneliest snow goose I've ever seen. It landed on the edge of the decoys and kept looking around like he was expecting his buddies to show up but couldn't figure out why they ditched him. I felt sorry for him so I invited him home for supper and he reluctantly excepted my invitation. :wink:

d2fhgOptQbGXG0%WkKjwIg.jpg
azdukhuntr
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 am

Nice! A goose, that's crazy for AZ ponds!
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby azdukhuntr » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm thinking he was probably related to Biden, he lost his way and couldn't remember how to get back. :biggrin:
azdukhuntr
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting