Jack of all trades Duck Boat

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6, jamesmc

Jack of all trades Duck Boat

Postby BanditBoots » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:03 am

Good morning gents,

Missing the opening of the 3rd split in NC due to block leave and visiting family before our 9 month vacation early next year. And speaking of NC, my best bet for consistent bird hunting mostly consists of sea ducks and divers. My current 17.5x48 with 21" sides doesnt quite cut it on anything besides calm days. I wont get home until the 2nd split or else I'd try to hunt down a starcraft to build up Into an open water/ tender boat. AND that would make a 3rd trailer to pull which isnt doable when I PCS.

For those thatre more experience with open water hunting, what could I get away with safely in a rig that's in the picture I've attached? In the picture it's a 18'x48 overall. I'm looking at 20' overall but still want to keep the longtail for all the hunting I do down south and back home.

Again, if I didn't have to worry about what I had to trailer when I PCS I'd just get a starcraft or something similar.

Just looking for some advice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BanditBoots
Newb

Re: Jack of all trades Duck Boat

Postby A.mas » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 pm

I use a 20x60 pro drive sbx dual rig in the same areas you are talking about and run it in some nasty stuff around Lejeune when chasing puddlers but it has never failed me in rough conditions.
A.mas
Newb

Postby Olbarney » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:35 am

Longtails and surface drives suck in open water in my experience. Plus the ability to go in reverse when tending a layout or the rig make a big difference .
Captain Matt
Olbarney Guide Service
Olbarney
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:11 pm

Great white buffalo. One duck boat to do it all doesn’t exist. I run a 20’ Alaskan for a tender when sea duck hunting, a tdb sculling boat for small water where I need to be able to hunt from the boat, and a canoe for the streams and I’m still not satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:21 am

Like stated, there is no one option duck rig I'm afraid. wish there was, i hunt some tidal waters but mostly fresh water with a 1754 Gator tail with a 40 hp Gator tail motor and it has a reverse on it, which has been a big help after running a 25 hp Kohler Go-Devil long tail for 20 years.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Diver Duck Hunting