Invite - Los Banos 1/23

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: OGblackcloud, duckman2000

Invite - Los Banos 1/23

Postby hooky4honkers » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 am

I have nice reservation number (#13) for Los Banos on Wednesday, 1/23. A buddy I normally hunt with will not be able to make it so I'm reaching out to see if anybody would like to tag in and join in his place.

This is my third waterfowl season, so I am new compared to a lot of shooters on this forum, but I am a sane, ethical and sensible hunter.

Direct message me if interested.
hooky4honkers
hunter

Re: Invite - Los Banos 1/23

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Nice offer and good luck !
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby bill in san jose » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I’d love to go with you if still open.

I’ve hunted LB since my son and I started duck hunting in 2000, and we’re retiring and moving to Montana. I have gotten zero resy’s at LB this season and really want to hunt it once more. Getting the house ready to sell I can’t believe I’ve only hunted 1 day this season.

I’ll pm you my contact info. Do you have a dog? Sage would love one more Cali duck hunt and I’d break her heart leaving her home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm diagnosed with Anatidaephobia: The irrational fear that somewhere, a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Invite - Los Banos 1/23

Postby bill in san jose » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:12 am

To follow-up, thanks for the invitation and nice to hunt together. The check station recommendation for a hot afternoon hunt spot had no birds flying.

Funny meeting the fellow behind us in line who saw this post on DHC.

Probably my last California duck hunt, next year it’s Montana ducks and geese. Hard to believe in late January I was hunting in a t shirt, we hunted at -20 last Christmas on the Madison River.

It may also be my final post on DHC, where I’ve met guys who have become life long friends. God bless y’all.

https://youtu.be/GtQMttigfsE

I'm diagnosed with Anatidaephobia: The irrational fear that somewhere, a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:04 am

Unless you're gonna be living off the grid you don't have to quit DHC there is a Montana state forum and you can always post back here to show off some of that Montana hunting and fishing.Whatever you choose I wish you luck :beer:
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby bill in san jose » Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 am

Guys- we’re in Montana and it reminds me of the movie “Field of Dreams” when Shoeless Joe Jackson says “Is this heaven” and Kevin Costner replies “No- it’s Iowa”.

In a rental farm house on 20 acres 10 miles from Bozeman. People are incredibly friendly. Went to our grandson’s 3d birthday patty and had a beer with the father of a playmate who works as a cattle rustler on a large ranch.

Here’s the view out the kitchen window, and 300 plus elk in the field across the street last night when we got home.

Sage and I are jumping greenheads in the creek on the property- lots of trees to build a ground blind.

bill in san jose
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun May 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Nice lookin spread Bill in Montana :lol3: :beer: Congrats on the move :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby DuckFan » Wed May 08, 2019 6:11 am

Congrats Bill

Looks like a great move.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Made my move out of Mt View, Ca in '72. I'm now about 3.5 hours South of you I think. Boseman struck me as a great area of Montana, starts getting flat to your East as I recall. The Park (You'll know what that means right away) is just South of you
Of course if you're into big game there will be the yearly Buck, Elk and there are Moose there as well
More Fish and Game. Way fewer people (I'm sure you'll miss that). Good clean air. Gonna be a different life.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:33 pm

We just signed an offer for 30 acres to build a home in the Ruby Valley. About an hour and a quarter from here.

The property corner is in a farm irrigation canal- with no water rights- but it’s got green heads.

Elk, mulies, pronghorns, pheasants, fly fishing in the area and now looking like duck hunting a walk down the hill.

bill in san jose
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm

How close to Sheridan are you ? Is this new property on the Blacktail side of the river looking North ?
How Lucky can you get , if , this is to be ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:21 pm

In Sheridan, Montana. In the foothills of the Tobacco Roots looking West at the Ruby Range. Near Laurin.

bill in san jose
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Very Nice location ! The whole area is a wonderland once you get to know it , a Sportsmens Dream .
Can't beat Breakfast in town with all the locals , oldtime buck hunting buddies of mine . :yes: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Invite - Los Banos 1/23

Postby bill in san jose » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Montana update- As I left to drive 1 1/2 hours to sleep in my truck to hunt elk (which I learned hunting CA refuges....) the local herd was on private property a mile from our rental house. They know they’re safe there.

I get to hunt them 3 miles from where we’re building our retirement home.

bill in san jose
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Montana update- Los Banos ducks mounted in our retirement home. I miss the CA refuges. We have greenheads and honkers here, but I’m not doing much waterfowl hunting in the cold.

bill in san jose
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 am

oh come on Bill ,it doesn't get "that" cold in Montana does it ? You're in the banana belt of the state and even with
a little ice on the gravel roads , those square tires on your truck , will let all the animals know , you're coming !
Pray for snow to cover most up , I guess ?
Relax your time will come as we settle down in retirement , we finely realize it's not that important to be the first
one there but the one who enjoys the ride by seeing ALL there is to see ! Merry Christmas :thumbsup:

Wish I was there ..... :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby muleequine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm

Hello, easiest winter in 17 years! I’m in the lower Madison. Pic of the lastImage
day of our split season, may go to Los Banos next week.

muleequine
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting