Draws!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: OGblackcloud, duckman2000

Draws!

Postby CA Quacker Stacker » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:09 am

Well the season is upon us and I am off to my normal start..... :mad: Unsuccessful!!!! Any one else have any luck in the refuge draws?

:beer:
Any day outdoors is better than a day indoors!
CA Quacker Stacker
hunter

Re: Draws!

Postby KingEBZ » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:10 pm

I drew San Luis bur have never been before. Any experiences there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KingEBZ
Newb

Postby Silverwidgeon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 pm

Nada for me and my buddy. Hoping for some Sunday luck.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:00 pm

I shot snake eyes for both 24/25th still pending Kern on the 28th. Likely will stick with the CWA draws which we DID pull for both the 28th and 31st (Denverton). Better blinds on both draws this time as well. Last season or two I had drew the “military or mobility impaired” floating blind (#6) at Denverton. In the absence of good weather or winds, that blind six is just PAINFULLY slow most of the time. I mean, I will NOT complain I usually averaged one or 2 spoons or GWT there. But seeing how the other blinds did typically better, I am super thankful we will have a chance to hunt other real estate this time.

So for now, unless we draw Kern on 28th, looks like we’re fixing to open up the season at Denverton.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 am

Ah, memories!
When a teenager in Mt View cira 1960s, my cousin and I would go to local sport shops and gather as many of the (Green card) applications for reservations as we could get. Then as they started limiting the numbers we could get (Local shops knew us) we would go further afield to other shops as soon as they came out. We always seemed to get at least one first choice draw between us, if not multiples. I'm sure things have changed since then?
We always hoped for draws in North Central Valley refuges on the chance that we would get a few geese (And often would), but were never displeased having to settle for a Grasslands shoot. Opening day usually meant limits of big ducks anywhere we went!
One thing we soon noticed the refuge shoots in the Grasslands seemed to die off quickly after the opening week, at least for a while, tho not as much so in the Sacramento, Delevan areas. It seemed to hold up a tiny bit longer in those refuges.

Now I hunt private lands in another state. My 'Honey Hole' is unique in that I notify the landlord before the start of the season of the opening day of the season, and never have to call him thereafter. He knows headlights along the river or in the field is me and the family and friends I bring. I have a number of places I have access to, tho I usually have to call ahead on other places. Some are only a three minute drive from my driveway, but the furthest is 35 minutes. Gone are the old days of draws and reservations, and shots heard are distant and few. The bag? Mallards and Honkers, tho an occasional Widgeon, Gadwall are sometime taken early in the season.
But I have to admit I miss seeing the massive rafts of Bluebills and Cans under the Dumbarton Bridge, the wads of late season Spoonies dive bombing the decoys, or storm driven Widgeon, or the sleek Bull Sprig piling in to (now) long gone, quiet ponds to avoid the chop of the bay. (Before the creation of 'Shoreline Lake' that spot flooded to a 3 acre pond each November, and it was pure magic!)...But I suppose the world moves on.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:52 pm

No luck. I'll wait out the early morning chaos and get out to the refuge for an evening shoot
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm

sprigs4days wrote:No luck. I'll wait out the early morning chaos and get out to the refuge for an evening shoot

Sometimes the quiet afternoons are a lot nicer shoot on a refuge. Birds work the decoys better if not spooking higher at every volley in the valley.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:39 pm

KingEBZ wrote:I drew San Luis bur have never been before. Any experiences there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what number?

If you have never been, and you have a 'lower' reservation number you could try the Blue Goose unit blind sites? The other parts of the refuge are Free Roam. You pick a parking lot number, and walk out from there.

Might want to check too if all of the blinds will have water and open then. They all "should"

Blue Goose Unit (San Luis NWR)

The Blue Goose unit consists of nine assigned blinds (8 three-person and 1 two-person) in seasonal mixed marshes. Hunters may only hunt from their assigned blind. The Blue Goose Unit does not have its own reservation system. A reservation for the San Luis Unit also applies to the Blue Goose Unit. A reservation grants entry for up to the capacity of the blind (two or three people). Legal species include ducks, geese, coots, common gallinules. Hunters check in at the Salt Slough check station.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:19 am

Ok so myself and my primary hunting partner struck out on DFG drawings until 04 November. We’re hunting CWA properties on 28/31st October.

Then this morning - he draws #14 Grey Lodge and I draw #14 Yolo Bypass both on Nov. 4th. Have to look up the flood maps & blind averages after the opener...

Where you you go ?? I like both refuges. Leaning towards Yolo Bypass currently.
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby huntingman8920 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 am

FMFdevildoc wrote:Ok so myself and my primary hunting partner struck out on DFG drawings until 04 November. We’re hunting CWA properties on 28/31st October.

Then this morning - he draws #14 Grey Lodge and I draw #14 Yolo Bypass both on Nov. 4th. Have to look up the flood maps & blind averages after the opener...

Where you you go ?? I like both refuges. Leaning towards Yolo Bypass currently.

If you have grey lodge figured out and don’t mind the hustle/run out in the morning I’d probably go there. I doubt that early in the season it’ll be crazy busy and you have a low enough number to where you should be able to run out to one of the money spots.
huntingman8920
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:23 am

Right on huntingman - I think we’ve settled on Yolo, we’re guaranteed a blind and it’s been a few seasons since I hunted out there.

Have a ton more reservation apps in, CWA apps in. Also curious to see how the CA DFG “veteran/military” draws turn out. I’ve done incredibly well on those with CWA & applied for just about every one with the state this season. *IF* i draw any of those, would be glorious.
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting