You guys getting a steady migration yet?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: OGblackcloud, duckman2000

You guys getting a steady migration yet?

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Our hunt in my neck of the woods was great early on local birds (Geese mostly). Then we get a day of light snow and the following day, just by luck, we were set up in a field across the street from the house for a bunch that had been numbering about 250-300 local Canadas.
The hunt started a little slow as the locals had been pounded pretty hard. We had four geese and a Mallard, and then it died for about 30 minutes. But suddenly, groups of ducks started moving over the Snake river and hard on their heels the flocks of Canadas arrived. They were finishing in front of the blind just right. Thousands were over the field and hundreds working the decoys for about an hour or so.
When the smoke and feathers cleared, we had 24 Canadas, one Snow, and 12 ducks, and then it was over, and I mean over! From last Friday's hunt until today there have been no geese or ducks to be found. Not on the field or even in the air above the river.
That one day migration even seems to have sucked the locals out of the area as well! Friends along the Snake river corridor from here in E Idaho all the way to Western Idaho around Boise are reporting the same thing. Birds everywhere one day, and then nothing.
We have temps in the 40*s now for highs, that may have something to do with it, but usually, once the birds arrive, they stay for a while and just build up! Not this time!
I think they all flew down to you guys by now?
Early hunts for locals in short sleeves
Corn.jpg

Last hunt in the snow
They're in.jpg
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: You guys getting a steady migration yet?

Postby 3200 man » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:33 am

Not yet for most but some of us are doing better ! The talk is we are only playing on about 40% of what Locals are left as ,
we done killed most of our breeding stock . It's kind of a shame to report this but someone has to do it , maybe you're seeing
the same ? I do know from a friend , birds are moving down but most of all , just out of harms way ! :huh: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Hunted the lodge last weekend. 2 for me and 2 for my buddy, seemed like there were some fresh widgeon around. When the fog cleared we could see all the high flyers. Birds are moving down, they just are smart and are pilling up on closed zones and private property.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby speczilla » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Been doing well on specs and OK on ducks. Lots of ducks around but most I've been seeing are sprig and spoonies with a few wigeon and teal. We are already at peak numbers on geese given the lack of water at Klamath and maybe just half of the normal peak amounts of ducks. Two to three weeks and the rest of the ducks will show up.
speczilla
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Aha!
Went over to the last spot we hunted that had been barren since the shoot, and about 200 geese were back on the ground and flocks moving near and far, some locked up and gliding into the field again.
Friend reports birds to the North of us on a reservoir in big numbers now. Snows too, and that is unusual at any time in the Fall in the spots I hunt
I guess that 'just like that'...they are back!
Made one phone call... and now we'll be back behind the locked gate Monday morning.

My Honey Hole is probably froze-up now, but going up tomorrow to check it out. I'd like one more water hunt this year in that location, but night-time temps are in the teens already, and that makes things pretty problematic going forward.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 am

Sounds like , you're back in business ? Taking advantage of opportunities is the name of the Game , alright !
Our time will come as our most productive time of the season is when things freeze up North of us , we are
experiencing some Foggy Mornings , which is a welcoming sight . It might take later in the AM for things to
happen but it sure is fun seeing birds lockup and come to the decoys . One has to be careful with so many
Sprig commiting , it's a shame the limit only allows One .
Did you see down in Utah where the Scum of the waterfowling World wasted all those birds ? Makes one sick !
Our hunting is still for food but it is a sport and to take more than you can use , well let's just say , it's neither
but a clear sign of greed !
3200 man
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting