Finally heating up.

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: OGblackcloud, duckman2000

Finally heating up.

Postby Silverwidgeon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Well my season has been pretty poor. Happy to have finally got on a good hunt, and I don't measure by the amount of birds shot but rather the experience and the opportunities. Was so nice to have a few birds respond to my calling and see birds lock up on the decoys. Haven't seen a lot of that until now. Also was blown away by the amount of snow geese I saw on the drive home, must be an insane number in the entire valley. Hope every has a good holidays and gets on some birds, they are around.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Re: Finally heating up.

Postby PaulyQuackers » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:21 pm

I was at Mendota all day from sun up to sun down yesterday and only heard a few shots the entire day. I talked to a bunch of different people in different parking lots and they hardly heard any shots fired with only a small amount of action in the first 30 min before it went totally dead for the rest of the day. I sat there all day and watched the refuge and only saw a handful of birds flying around all day long. To say the place is dead is un understatement. I don't believe the numbers that are posted. That's the third weekend in a row I hunted Mendota and it's been quite as a mouse. I been going on Sundays and perhaps there is a tragic amount of sky busting happening on Saturday's. That would be pretty typical. Still, they have reported over 100 birds taken and there wasn't even close to 100 shots being fired the entire day.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Well previous to this year I had never managed to knock down more than 1 goose at a refuge. That changed in November when I knocked down 2 snows at the lodge. Yesterday at sutter I got 1 snow and 3 specks! I couldn't be happier. No more ressies tho, so that'll likely be my last good hunt of the year.
Attachments
20210117_164436.jpg
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:52 pm

Glad you got into 'em Silver Widgeon.
Always good to be able to ride on a good memory to tide you over until next season.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting