are we doomed?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: OGblackcloud, duckman2000

are we doomed?

Postby mot » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:46 pm

I am reading that there will be NO water released into tule lakes and the surrounding wildlife areas! if this is the place that all the birds hold over before coming down to us, what will next year duck season look like? Will tule lakes and upper klamath go dry? What will all the bald eagles do? :huh:
mot
hunter

Re: are we doomed?

Postby speczilla » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:49 pm

Yeah no water at all for either refuge this year from what I have read. There wasn't much last year either and the birds just bypassed staging there last fall - hence the reason you saw a bunch of snows in the valley in October when they normally don't come down until Thanksgiving. I suspect the same thing will happen this year.

The bigger issue is the impact on local mallard populations given those refuges are big nesting and molting sites. I'm sure birds found/will find other water to fledge and molt but it's more likely that disease spreads given more birds crammed into fewer water areas. We lost about 60,000 birds last summer at Klamath and Tule from botulism due to lack of water.

It's a bad deal and sad to see what that area has become. I'm hopeful the water situation there gets rectified but I'm not counting on it given the stakeholders involved and the new administration's focus given the cabinet position that oversees the refuges is headed by a Native American with a history of aggressively fighting for anything Native American. I hope my skepticism is misplaced.
speczilla
hunter

Postby fish dog » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:27 pm

It's funny how they can move around and reallocate water for some little endangered fish that only the scientists that study it care about, but something like this gets no consideration when it comes to water allocation.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Things do indeed look bleak.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 am

I think that any lake or reservoir in the West in any state is holding back water to release very slowly. Nobody is getting decent rains this Spring.
We don't have many large marshes in E Idaho, but our hunt tends to be on the Snake river, or other much smaller rivers in the area that are all bordered by private lands, but if the Snake should fall much lower, boat travel could be very problematic by Fall.
As far as access to properties to hunt myself, I have three such that do not require boat travel, in fact I drive to the X on all three, so boating is not a consideration. If local fields are left in stubble (Corn or Wheat, or new wheat just coming up) birds usually hold up if weather in Canada pushes them down to us. But we need that cold up North.
The boaters need moisture here, as you do to fill marshes there where you hunt.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting