Sea ducks 2018

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderator: DUKHTR

Sea ducks 2018

Postby nickl42 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:48 am

Anybody found any scoter this year? I’m in the western sound (Fairfield-Norwalk stretch) and have had a few decent shoots with the old squaw this year. Saw a group of about 8 scoter off Bridgeport earlier this week, but that’s about it.
nickl42
Newb

Re: Sea ducks 2018

Postby Mike the Fox » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:04 pm

I have but not in Connecticut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby nickl42 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Ran into 10 white winged scoter at the secret spot. Plenty of old squaw and broadbill with some bonus goldeneye. It’s cold out there ... but worth it.
nickl42
Newb

Postby Nogis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:05 pm

I've never seaduck hunted before but feel like I should give it a shot next season since I'm more coastal and wouldn't have to travel far to get on some ducks. Not asking for any spots but what advice would you give to someone trying to get into the sea duck game; what to look for in locations, good dekes to bring, calls(?), hide, etc.? I'm planning on getting a safer kayak next season for the salt marshes, would that be necessary for sea duck too or can you mostly wade hunt the shore for them? Thanks for any help/advice!
Nogis
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 am

Norwalk islands, plenty of birds and pretty much protected from wind/waves.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 pm

Nogis wrote:I've never seaduck hunted before but feel like I should give it a shot next season since I'm more coastal and wouldn't have to travel far to get on some ducks. Not asking for any spots but what advice would you give to someone trying to get into the sea duck game; what to look for in locations, good dekes to bring, calls(?), hide, etc.? I'm planning on getting a safer kayak next season for the salt marshes, would that be necessary for sea duck too or can you mostly wade hunt the shore for them? Thanks for any help/advice!
My, limited, experience with seaducks is that they aren’t real smart. I had a group of 10 damn near land on me when I was out in my dekes the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby thewingmaster » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:53 am

For what it is worth, a friend told me that he and his buddies have been getting into scoter and some eider in eastern Long Island sound. They said shooting has been unbelievable the last few weeks. Sorry I can't reveal the spots, but not too difficult to see if you get out and scout. Good Luck.
thewingmaster
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting