Looking for a Hunting Partner?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, BigBend

Looking for a Hunting Partner?

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:51 am

Another member suggested I start a new strain on this board. I live in the greater ATL, and would like to stay w/i an hour, hour and half if possible. I am not against traveling further out, just requires a little more planning.
I have upland hunted but wanted to duck/goose hunt, but no opps. Would like to find someone to go with, either on private land or WMA. If you can "show me the ropes," I will buy your ammo for the day and/or gas up your boat.
Thank you :thumbsup:
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Re: Looking for a Hunting Partner?

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 am

sprtslvr1973 wrote:Another member suggested I start a new strain on this board. I live in the greater ATL, and would like to stay w/i an hour, hour and half if possible. I am not against traveling further out, just requires a little more planning.
I have upland hunted but wanted to duck/goose hunt, but no opps. Would like to find someone to go with, either on private land or WMA. If you can "show me the ropes," I will buy your ammo for the day and/or gas up your boat.
Thank you :thumbsup:

I'm not in Ga so only questions and suggestion. Have you tried to go out at all, alone? Do you have the right equipment, apparel, etc? Have you driven around and researched/looked at public lands?

Sometimes people who have been around awhile hear "show me the ropes" as "show me some spots". That for many wouldn't nearly be worth a box of shells or tank of gas. Have you tried to secure any private property? That might make you popular. :lol3:

Good luck - we see a lot of people start asking this question at the beginning of a season and never hear from them as a member the rest of it.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Good luck - we see a lot of people start asking this question at the beginning of a season and never hear from them as a member the rest of it.

Thank you for your suggestions, and someone else had similar thoughts. I do plan to hit WMA, and have camo and looking to get a call and a few decoy. Buying land is not an option for me right now.

I am confused by your final thought which I quoted; explain, maybe?

I have definitely tried to get involved in groups such as DU, but everything seems to fall flat.

Thanks for the advice!
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:00 pm

You've been asking this or similar questions for at least 7 years. Looks like most often this time of year (before the season).

No one suggested you buy land, you can ask permission from those that do own it. It takes time and effort. Same with public land.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby FULLCHOKEFOWL » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Hey, I did 10 minutes of research, and found a WMA near Atlanta called Paulding Forrest. I looked at the DNR interactive map of the WMA and found a few water holes. Put your waders on, and go out there in the evening and see if any woodies come to roost. Or, go before sunrise, and see if you find any birds going in to feed. But like the guy above said, you have to put in the work, scouting, etc. A lot of guys arent going to show you what's up for $20 worth of shells when they've been spending tons of time and money to shoot birds. Also, dont sweat the calls and such. Start w a woody call and a couple woody or mallard decoys to carry in to the WMA ponds.
You can try to head over to the nearest sporting goods store, and ask guys shopping for decoys etc if they would share info. Maybe call your local DU chapter, maybe those guys can help you out. There also may be some guys on fb. I'm not on fb, but some guys help each other out on there, where as some of them are prima-Donna's and won't tell you the truth. You might also hire a guide. Don't steal his spots, but learn from him. See how he does it.
Main thing is, you get out of it what you put into it. In 10 minutes on my phone, I can find something near atl, and so can you, sir. Good luck!
"I'm killin 'em with a Southern Accent!" - Southern Accent Calls
FULLCHOKEFOWL
hunter

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:58 am

HNTFSH wrote:You've been asking this or similar questions for at least 7 years. Looks like most often this time of year (before the season).

Ah, gotcha
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:23 pm

FULLCHOKEFOWL wrote:Hey, I did 10 minutes of research, and found a WMA near Atlanta called Paulding Forrest. I looked at the DNR interactive map of the WMA and found a few water holes. Put your waders on, and go out there in the evening and see if any woodies come to roost. Or, go before sunrise, and see if you find any birds going in to feed. But like the guy above said, you have to put in the work, scouting, etc. A lot of guys arent going to show you what's up for $20 worth of shells when they've been spending tons of time and money to shoot birds. Also, dont sweat the calls and such. Start w a woody call and a couple woody or mallard decoys to carry in to the WMA ponds.
You can try to head over to the nearest sporting goods store, and ask guys shopping for decoys etc if they would share info. Maybe call your local DU chapter, maybe those guys can help you out. There also may be some guys on fb. I'm not on fb, but some guys help each other out on there, where as some of them are prima-Donna's and won't tell you the truth. You might also hire a guide. Don't steal his spots, but learn from him. See how he does it.
Main thing is, you get out of it what you put into it. In 10 minutes on my phone, I can find something near atl, and so can you, sir. Good luck!

Hi Fullchoke,

Thanks,
I had meant to read and get back to you earlier, but you know, life...
I will follow your advice and do what I can. Thank you for explaining why some people might assume I am being flippant or shirking; never my intent.
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Postby FULLCHOKEFOWL » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:28 pm

Nah man. No worries. I've been the new guy in town before, and it can be to your advantage. You may find an excellent spot where as other guys keep beating the same ol spot. You got this man.
"I'm killin 'em with a Southern Accent!" - Southern Accent Calls
FULLCHOKEFOWL
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting