In praise of Fall

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, Tenner

Re: In praise of Fall

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 pm

Today was absolutely brutal weather-wise. 98 here and a 25 mph wind. Felt like I was back in Southern California.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:40 am

I absolutely hate that there is no rain happening yet in September, but now I see a 40% chance forecast for tomorrow.
Pray it comes true!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:43 am

The pattern has shifted. Many geese are back flying over the house
Good to see and hear.
I know they are around and close, but the sound of 'em overhead raises the spirit!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby speczilla » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 am

Went dove hunting yesterday evening. Temp was 107. I pretty much just sat on my bucket drinking water. Shot a few but did so while sitting down - didn't want to expend any energy standing up. I was soaked with sweat pretty quickly. While hot, it was good to get out and shoot at birds again.

I did see several flocks of sprig, mallards, and teal flying around near sunset. It was nice to see some early migrants.

Supposed to be 109 today, 98 tomorrow, and low 90's the rest of the week. Hopefully this is the last of the 100+ days.

Gene do you have AC on the new house?
speczilla
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:35 pm

We were forecast this morning for a 70% chance of rain for this afternoon...never happened! Not one drop. Not even clouds.
If we don't get some moisture soon, this area is gonna dry up entirely. Been years since I've seen it go with so little moisture for so long.
It's getting hard to get in the spirit of the coming waterfowl hunts in the dust bowl atmosphere we've been experiencing this extra long hot Summer.
Farmer's Almanac has predicted a snowy Winter, but so they have for the last three years, and it's been sparse at best.
The next 14 days are forecast to have zero chance of rain.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:49 pm

What a difference a couple hrs can make. Was watching news when I heard the wind come whistling thru the fireplace. Looked outside to see a dark sky and super strong winds.
It is raining!
Weather.com started with 70% chance of rain to 20% chance then back to 90% as it is now, but now wind, thunder and lightning and wind driven rain. Yard full of tree branches!
Crazy day!

Hoping the rain last for a while.....hoping!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Here in Ennis today it was 36 degrees with sideways snow and a 40 mph wind. Ugly.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Here in Ennis today it was 36 degrees with sideways snow and a 40 mph wind. Ugly.

After enduring the recent heat....there is NOTHING ugly about that.
I always count on that first week of September and the first cool Autumn storm to sweep in and break the heat, and I really thought I was gonna be disappointed this year.
Nope!

All things 'Fall' are off to a good start!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:42 pm

'After enduring the recent heat....there is NOTHING ugly about that.'

It is if you're in an RV and your heater isn't working right.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:17 pm

Wife's family in Silverton, Or (Just out of Salem) is in huge fire event. Losing folks all around them. Some missing in Stayton and other small towns nearby. Bad deal. California even worse...much worse.
I don't care what anybody says....the finger of God is on the 'Left' (West) coast. The crazies in those Liberal bastions are getting their warnings now. What 's happening to those folk is almost supernatural in the way it just keeps coming, and coming, and coming down on them.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Whitefront » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Yeah, but unfortunately they're all moving here to Idaho. :mad:
Whitefront
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:35 am

Whitefront wrote:Yeah, but unfortunately they're all moving here to Idaho. :mad:

Yeah, for sure.
It was never gonna last forever. We HAVE been discovered, and we know few of those coming here because of the way it is, won't respect that, and try to fit in successfully. Just the numbers alone will change it, but the Liberal, Leftist policies they bring will corrupt it beyond all that makes it great.
If they are among those who have spent their entire lives marinated in that garbage, they won't even realize it in most cases.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:
Whitefront wrote:Yeah, but unfortunately they're all moving here to Idaho. :mad:

Yeah, for sure.
It was never gonna last forever. We HAVE been discovered, and we know few of those coming here because of the way it is, won't respect that, and try to fit in successfully. Just the numbers alone will change it, but the Liberal, Leftist policies they bring will corrupt it beyond all that makes it great.
If they are among those who have spent their entire lives marinated in that garbage, they won't even realize it in most cases.

Not all of us moving out of California are the same.

Instead of working on the house today I took off this morning and went fishing. Had a report that folks were scraping 1 or 2 fish a morning, but I netted 9 and lost 3 so I think I did just fine. Was nice to be back on the water again.
Attachments
003.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Our daughter's wedding two days ago was in Pray, MT. We just got back home this afternoon and skies in MT were clear. On the Idaho side of Lookout Pass at the ID / MT border we hit the smoke. The air quality index is 192. Blew in this morning apparently. This smoke is worse than I have ever seen it here, and it is mostly from fires in CA, OR and WA. I want to head back East!
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Gene,
I know ALL the folk escaping California, Oregon, and Washington are not the problem. But I read, and hear, and see many who give every indication that they are gonna have little to offer the state by their presence.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby fowledlogic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am

I made it to Boise on Sunday Aug.16th, 1992. I left the Fargo ND area to take a job here. I lived in Moorhead, MN which is right across the Red River from Fargo. I was born and raised there. In '92 Boise was a conservative town. I have three state representatives in my district. Two in the House and one in the Senate. They were all Republicans(at least one woman) and they've been all Dem's for years. And all women.
Boise has been a Leftist town for some years. It would seem that Californians and others that come here think that Idaho Dem's are less whacko than the ones they left behind. Not True!!!!! And yup, those newbies keep voting 'D'. Granted, not all new folks are lefties, but many are! We haven't had any riots here, but make no mistake, Boise is little Portland. We do have a Rino Republican governor. I think he would call out the Guard if things got out of hand. Our mayor is a lefty as is the city council. Not good!
fowledlogic
hunter

Postby Whitefront » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 am

^^^Yep.
Whitefront
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am

If you throw your vote to a Democrat, you strengthen them across the board.
They have no Pro America agenda at any level, regardless of the 'Lip-Service' they may offer up.

The Democrat is a far different creature then they once were. The days of FDR are gone forever.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:47 pm

Just got back from a couple days in Missoula where my wife got her second knee replacement this year. Had it done by Dr. Allmacher at Missoula Bone and Joint and it was a wonderful experience. Night and day difference between this one and the last that was done in Medford, Oregon. he opted to have it done at their new surgery center instead of the hospital and that was an awesome choice. We can not say enough good things about the doctor, the facility and the nurses. All were top notch.

Smokier here now than earlier in the week...be glad when that all stops. Been watching the reports of all the fires in California and I can honestly say I am glad I am retired from that. This would have been a horrible year to be working.

Hopefully the counter tops show up next week as we are on the downhill side of things on the house build. Looking forward to the 29th when I can go to Bozeman and get my resident hunting and fishing license and deer and elk tags. Talked with a couple duck hunters in the Bozeman/Belgrade area last night and I'll be getting together with them at some point. Whole new learning ballgame for me this year.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:45 am

Gene,
You get any of that rain this morning?
Man did I ever need to see it. Raised my spirits and lowered the temps again.
Feels like Fall now!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Previous

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting