2020-2021 Duck Season opens.. on a Monday ?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, Tenner

2020-2021 Duck Season opens.. on a Monday ?

Postby Shootin' Lead » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:44 pm

2020-2021 Idaho zone 1 duck season opens October 19th, 2020.... The 19th is a Monday
50 years duck hunting and I have never seen a duck season open on any day of the week other than a Saturday...
Is there a reason why Idaho zone 1 is opening on a Monday this season ? Is it because the last day of the season
is January 31st, 2021, which happens to be a Sunday ? Just curious..
NRA - Patron Member
GOA - Annual Member
CRPA - Life Member
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Re: 2020-2021 Duck Season opens.. on a Monday ?

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:27 pm

OK, I don't big game hunt so you can correct me if any of this is wrong. I heard today that some of the big game seasons usually start on Tuesdays but this year they started on a Saturday. Waterfowl seasons usually start on a Saturday. In 21 years of hunting Idaho (and 25 years of hunting other states) I have never seen an opener on a Monday. My theory is that since one of the big game openers is on a weekend this year IDFG wants to be out enforcing that. There is usually a large IDFG presence on the waterfowl opener and then you don't see them much after that enforcing waterfowl. I think we got a Monday waterfowl opener so that IDFG could be present for both big game and waterfowl on the days they open. This is only my theory.

For years, I and others I know have provided feedback that if we had a two day split where there was no hunting somewhere within the season, that it could start on a Saturday and end on a Sunday. For as long as I can remember the Idaho waterfowl 107 day season has always ended on a Friday. If there was a two day split and they went back to a Saturday opener the guys who have to work Monday-Friday could get another weekend hunting at the end of the season. This season, with the Monday start, the 107 day season will end on a Sunday.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby fowledlogic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:17 am

I may be off the mark here, but I think this is about having our season run as long as it can under Federal guidelines. I believe the latest we can go is January 31 which falls on a Sunday this season! Bob
fowledlogic
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:12 am

I'm actually ok with this. Openers have been a total crap show and getting worse every year. I'm hoping that many people will be staying home so I dont have to deal with the shenanigans of people setting up next to us and shooting birds in our spread... yes it has happened more than once..
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:57 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:I'm actually ok with this. Openers have been a total crap show and getting worse every year. I'm hoping that many people will be staying home so I dont have to deal with the shenanigans of people setting up next to us and shooting birds in our spread... yes it has happened more than once..

So will you and Casey hunt in your regular area? We've been scouting this week (not in your area) and you won't have to put up with Abomb and I sky busting birds that you are working :lol3: :hammer: We'll be elsewhere.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:48 pm

For many openers I haven't been within 500 yards (This opener) of other shooting
For the previous openers I only heard a very distant series of shots once, and I was enraged.
Then the fellows with me suggested that it was in fact a hammer on wood at the local farm.

After a couple of Tylenol, and after all my feathers smoothed back down, I let them convince me this was so.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:So will you and Casey hunt in your regular area? We've been scouting this week (not in your area) and you won't have to put up with Abomb and I sky busting birds that you are working :lol3: :hammer: We'll be elsewhere.

I think Casey is taking the day off, but I found some interesting backwater spot in the general area. If it is a dud, it looks like it could hold some pike too lol
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:
HaydenHunter wrote:So will you and Casey hunt in your regular area? We've been scouting this week (not in your area) and you won't have to put up with Abomb and I sky busting birds that you are working :lol3: :hammer: We'll be elsewhere.

I think Casey is taking the day off, but I found some interesting backwater spot in the general area. If it is a dud, it looks like it could hold some pike too lol

Don't mention the pike thing too loud or Aaron will crash your opener spot...
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:For many openers I haven't been within 500 yards (This opener) of other shooting
For the previous openers I only heard a very distant series of shots once, and I was enraged.
Then the fellows with me suggested that it was in fact a hammer on wood at the local farm.

After a couple of Tylenol, and after all my feathers smoothed back down, I let them convince me this was so.

Now I've seen everything. I just posted virtually this same thing on FB in jest about folk crowding in close on opening day hunts as discussed here, and about me being 'touchy' about it....It went so sideways the admin had to close it to further posts.
What a hoot!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting