North Dakota in October

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

North Dakota in October

Postby Belowaveragehunter11 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:44 am

Anybody have any suggestions or tips for door knocking up in North Dakota for field hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Belowaveragehunter11
hunter

Re: North Dakota in October

Postby Jarvis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:15 am

Use your middle knuckles.. either hand works equally well. If there is a screen or storm door open that and knock on the main door. This works in North Dakota and other states as well.
Jarvis
hunter

Postby Belowaveragehunter11 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 am

@Jarvis does wrist motion and strength of knock determine outcome? Please knock on doors around me asking to shoot ducks. Let me know how it pans out... SEMissouri, west Tennessee, north eastern Arkansas, all work for geese, but asking to shoot a duck is a little different. I’ve heard they don’t care up there, trying to get a feel before I head up there for 10 days. Thanks for the sarcasm
Belowaveragehunter11
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:25 am

Do not have anything with DU on it!
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby razorrt5 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:31 am

Belowaveragehunter11 wrote:Anybody have any suggestions or tips for door knocking up in North Dakota for field hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Question: Have you ever hunted there?
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
Punkin

Postby Belowaveragehunter11 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 pm

No furthest north is Missouri. We have a group of 4 going going up there October 10-21 I believe west of devils lake. We know multiple people who have gone up there and done what we’re planning to do and they gave us some tips as far as the no DU tags mentioned, couple contacts of some land owners who let them hunt in years past along with some places that they had success in. taking a HiVisibility stake to mark the X where we scout so that we can find it the next morning due to size of fields, that the game wardens have been known to roll up on hotels and check possession limits of enclosed rigs (true story), to utilize full body Canada geese, keep a full tank of gas due to scarcity of gas stations( they ran out of gas scouting because they put in a gas station in the GPS and used last bit of gas to go to it only for it to not have functioning pumps. We’re not going in completely blind, all middle aged guys coming from hunting back grounds in our home states of Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. Just trying to soak up as much information regarding the people and pressure up there. Don’t want to know any spots. We will manage.
Belowaveragehunter11
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 am

The Devils Lake area is heavily posted and some of the area is leased by outfitters. it seems to be easier to track down owners later in the month when harvest is getting wrapped up. Later in the month some won't let you in in fear it will chase the deer out. Some areas around DL are like a maze with roads washed out or covered in water but still on the GPS. I think most of the small towns have converted to pumps that take cards but a few may still close at 6. Scout and get permission for alternate locations. fair amount of competition there. I've had to resort to hunting spot b or c on several occasions. I have a regular GPS that can project a waypoint. I use that and a rangefinder to mark the x in the field without entering it. Make up a batch of your own business cards and give them out to the farmers so they have your contact information.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Be prepared for stale birds and plan on bringing gear to hunt transition water. Mid october can mean tough conditions for field hunting.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby razorrt5 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 am

PM sent
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
Punkin

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 am

Mid-October can be tough in ND or lights out depending on weather and migration.

I would bring a small water setup as well; a couple dozen mallards and may be 12 divers or honkers.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:37 pm

In some areas of the state there are very few birds . Seems like they have bailed out already.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Jarvis » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 am

Just came through Devils Lake are and saw some little ducks but zero mallards or geese.. fields are flooded.. looks bad
Jarvis
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am

Snow is here and looks like it may be staying.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby W69DY » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 pm

any update with your hunts? Just moved to the Minot area last week and looking start venturing out and scouting land for both ducks and deer. If y'all have any tips or would like to show me the ropes please feel free to DM me. thanks!
W69DY
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting